Pheobe, the golden/chow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vet will not treat with human insulin

If your dog refuses the prescription food, then you will have to find an alternative. If your previous food isn't super high in fat(diabetes dogs tend to get pancreatitis from high fat diets), then it may work just fine. Once you start insulin, if the food isn't working with the insulin properly, you can always find something else. The most important thing is the dog to eat.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyfaucheux View Post
      Thank you! I will get everything I need and start insulin myself! You guys help SO MUCH!!! Who needs a vet?? Phoebe thanks everyone too!!
      Unfortunately in Indiana, I need a Rx from a vet for the insulin or I probably would be doing it all myself too!

You have found an awesome forum filled with people who deal with this diabetes thing on a daily basis. You will get a handle on this very quickly!

Welcome and good luck!
      Mel and Vinny
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Why is she peeing on herself???

Comment

as long as sugar is high this is a way for the body to remove excess sugar . most times when you see blood sugar get into the 400s and 300s that should lessen

the higher the sugar the more they drink and urinate and can pee on themselves

another thing that can complicate that symptom is UTI which can be helped along by high blood sugar
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Why is she peeing on herself???
            As Jessie Girl said, this usually is a sign of very high blood glucose (BG). The body tries to remove sugar through the urine. Important NOT to restrict drinking water and allow this safety action. You might notice that the urine is very sticky from all the sugar.

Important to get this under control, either through home blood testing or visiting the vet clinic. Only some of the excess sugar is being expelled in the urine, more may be accumulating in the eyes, kidneys, urinary tract and can lead to blindness & infection.

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Feeding..

Knowing they are on 12 hour schedule.. How long should u give ur dog to eat before giving the shot to stay on the 12 hour schedule??

Comment

Re: Feeding..

Knowing they are on 12 hour schedule.. How long should u give ur dog to eat before giving the shot to stay on the 12 hour schedule??
                I combined your threads. We like to basically keep all posts about one pup in a single thread. This way it's easy to go back and see the pup's history.

How long does it take for him to normally eat? Is this something new? I personally give Annie about 30 min, then I pickup her bowl and determine the dosage based on how much she ate. Something like:
                Full meal = full insulin dosage
                Half meal = half dosage
                Refused to eat = still give 1/4 dosage

Again, would you like to change the title of your thread? Something like the pup's name, or ?? Just let us know and we can change it for you.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Of course, its preferred they eat a full measured meal and a consistent insulin dosage. The partial injection should be avoided if at all possible.

What are you feeding now, and has she been on this food for a while?

Craig

Comment

Re: Pheobe, the golden/chow

I went ahead and changed the name of your thread to "Pheobe, the golden/chow". Let me, or Amy, know if you would like something else

Craig

Comment

Thanks. I started her insulin today and before food was 258.,.. After food was 456.. I was scarred to give her full dose when is was 258.. So I gave her half... Now in think I should have given her the 8 units.... Am I totally screwing her up???? PLEASE HELP!

Comment

no your not

the 258 is a lower number with a dose thats lower than a normal starting dose with the 8 units so i would have been a bit nervous also

your doing this on your own so you have to be a bit conservative as you get your legs understanding the process remeber always better to be a bit high than to low

you dont have allot of info without any vet given understanding . its possible there can be a miss diagnosis or some insulin is being provided from the body on rare occasions . thats why your home testing will be quite helpful

stick with the 8 units in the mid 200s or higher anything below 150 for now you may want to boost things up with a snack like a milk bone and maybe reduce the dose

lots of testing doing great
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

An increase in BG after a meal is quite common. Many dogs (and humans) digest their food, converting it into glucose, faster than the insulin works. I bet if you test later this afternoon, after the insulin actually kicks in, the BG number will be lower. Stay the course for a couple of days and then we can evaluate and suggest possible help. You really can't rush this!

Craig

Comment

Can she have milkbones?? When I went the the vet he said to stop them! Frankly I don't trust anything he said anymore though! You guys are far more helpful then he was!!

Comment

milk bones can be used if blood sugar is lower than what you are comfortable with and usually it will raise sugar up

you may not want to give this as a normal daily snack unless its needed for a sugar boost

Comment

Agree with Jesse Girl. Anything "carby" should be avoided between meals unless it's being used to raise blood glucose on purpose such as to counter a very low meter reading. Or possibly if you anticipate low blood sugar like during / after going for a jog.

I do give Annie a small doggie treat after EVERY meal as dessert, but that is considered a part of the meal.

Things like green beans, Annie likes them either frozen direct from the freezer, or cooked. If you give leftover cooked vegetables, be sure to rinse off any seasonings and butter. Also, tiny bits of chicken are often used if a treat MUST be given.

Craig
                                Last edited by CraigM; 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X