No announcement yet.

Grand Lady Snickers passes away April 21, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

I am so sorry to hear about your precious Snickers. You did a wonderful job with her.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I'm saddened to read of your loss of Snickers. She had an amazing long life, filled with love from her family. You were with her until the end and that's the promise we all make to our fur babies. Condolences to you and your family.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

While this is always a sad time, it should also be a time to remember how blessed you were to have her with you for such a long time. A very full life for your dog. You were both very fortunate.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Snickers. Eighteen years is a long time and I am sure that you will miss your companion, family member and friend.
          Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Sending you love...

I am so sorry for your loss..Snickers was one special dog. 18 years is amazing...

<3
            Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
            Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
            Had cataract surgery June 2016.
            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Thanks you for all the kind words of support.

I'm feeling a little better now and am finally getting some rest. The last week of Snickers life was pretty intense for me. She needed a lot of care and I opted not to put her down since she did appear to be suffering and my youngest son, who was very close to her, was on his way home. It was emotionally and physically exhausting but in the end we all could say our final goodbyes.

My husband was appalled that I would suggest that her body be picked up that night. He prepared a place for her and took extraordinary care in prepping her so she could lay in rest at the house that night. It sounds morbid but it was the right call. We took her to the crematorium the next morning. One of the funeral homes offers services for pets in the same place as humans. It's complete with a special room devoted to final viewings and grieving. It was peaceful and respectful and gave Snickers the dignity she deserved and gave us some closure.

I told myself that it would be a while before I considered another pet. I would like to get my yard under control We tried to avoid a lot of chemical applications while kids and dogs were using it and it could use some work. I also have some serious home projects that have been pushed aside that also need attention. My husband would like me to consider being a puppy raiser for a service dog training organization so we would not be committed to a dog for several decades but I'm not sure. There's an informational meeting tonight and I might go and check it out.

Thanks for listening, Liz
              Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

my brother always has a back up dog so he always has a younger dog on board

Now he will miss the dog that has passed and the other dog provides the love to get through

I am quite the opposite . Jesse is number one . Now we have fostered my kids dogs on occasion and that was fun but it wasn't for me and Jesse as a permanent thing

I am getting older and i would never want to go before a companion dog so its possible jesse is my best and last

I watch my mom go from her last dog to her last cat, her last fish and her last bird as she got incrementally older and at 90 has no pets

I have seen people go out and get another dog very soon after and some never again .my older brother was a one and done and he was still quite young but does have cats .

So do what you want to do . Take sometime to figure that out .
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Grand Lady Snickers passes away April 21, 2019

So very sorry to learn of Snicker's passing. What a beauty she was and clearly beloved. I know how much you miss her presence.

When to invite another dog? Everybody's different. We said we were going to wait awhile and did for about six weeks. But after all that care for our diabetic boy, I felt at loose ends without a dog in the house.

Another great option in the interim is fostering. Rescues and shelters are always desperate for foster homes, which save dogs' lives, especially from shelters where the environment can bring out the worst in them and makes small problems bigger. Being in a home lets them relax and feel safe and secure.

Sending a kiss skyward to Snickers and hugs to you,

Natalie

Comment

I agree with fostering. That is what I want to do once my two boys leave me...but the problem is if you end up falling in love with the dogs you foster. You might end up getting attached...

It is a painful thing to go through it over and over again knowing our beloved pets pass before us. I've lost many pets during my 31years of existence but the most painful is definitely my cat and dog. It never gets easier... and I'm having to prepare for the worst with my 14 year old chihuahua krunky which was diagnosed with heart failure and a tumor on his adrenal gland in February.

No dog will ever replace your baby Snickers but I'm sure your heart will always have room to love another..there are so many dogs in need of a home in shelters. I would wait a bit until your heart is ready. You're such a great owner and hopefully another lucky dog will be able to have you in their life.
                    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
                    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
                    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
                    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I just wanted to update everyone on my status. After looking at several dog/no dog options we decided to get a Skye Terrier puppy. His name is Blue and he is ridiculously cute.

While there is no way to replace Snickers, it became obvious pretty quickly that the house was missing a dog. I went to a volunteer meeting for service dog training and decided that it was unlikely that I could follow their training methodology. Thought about another shelter dog but the reality is I kept looking for one about Snickers size, with longer hair and a calm disposition. Eventually I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was a Skye Terrier.

So I went to get my name on a list for a puppy or a rescue and there was a puppy available! Several days and 1600 miles later we had a new family member and we couldn't be happier.

Again, I want to thank everyone for all the help and support with Snickers. This site gave us three extra years with her and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
                      Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

congratulations on the new pup

A new adventure !
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

congratulations!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Congratulations on the newest member of the family.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Working...
                            X