Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

So exciting that Scruff just keeps on keeping on!
    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

This is very difficult to report and I did consider letting this Thread about Scruff just fade off into history. However, I feel compelled to share the progress as it has unfolded since early January, 2015 so others can more realistically see what they "may" be facing with blood Glucose level testing.

Although a week or so ago, I was able to do a "curve" of the Glucose level for Scruff using the Alpha Trak test kit purchased from Amazon, the procedure has become, to say the least, extremely difficult.

Scruff absolutely hates the sight of the lancet and test meter ........ he now refuses to cooperate in any manner!

As of today, the plan is to stop putting him through something he does not like and that causes him such emotional stress.

I will continue with the urine test strips and maybe take him to the Vet periodically for a Glucose level test. As I stated in the intro, the Vet has managed several animals (with references that I did contact) that lived happy lives without daily or scheduled periodic blood testing via the meter.

So, this is how it looks and I see it to be:

-Scruff has adjusted to the new diet and related routine
      -no indications of low sugar (will always be prepared if the need arises)
      -appetite has stayed basically the same
      -has adjusted to the new snacks (mostly string cheese and frozen/thawed cut green beans)
      -he exercises daily with no indication of problems such as weakness
      -still likes to play with his toys
      -he is always excited to see the grand children come visit
      -he does not mind the insulin injections at all
      -obviously the 5 units twice per day is working as he no longer drinks loads of water, no more accidents, etc.
      -the highest reading on the test strips was last Saturday when we took him hiking. For some strange reason, he did not eat much that morning but I did give him 4 units of insulin. Also, one of the hikers unknowingly gave him a treat. So, when we got home that evening, the strip test indicated 500 but the blood level test showed 290.
      -since he is not neutered, "hiking" to mark his territory is his hallmark, thus, obtaining samples via use of urine test strips can be done pretty much throughout the day. Nightly, he wants out about two times... so, I don the appropriate attire and go out with him to obtain a reading. He seems to enjoy the new company as he investigates the surroundings!

So, a big thanks to this web site and all who have provided supportive comments and suggestions!

Lastly, we will know when it is time to give up the endeavor and face reality! Until then, we plan to allow Scruff the freedom he has always enjoyed, supported with little to no stress!

Again, thanks for all you've done for Scruff!
      Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Aw, Give Scruffy a hug from me, I don't like needles either! As long as he is happy, nothing else matters, best of luck!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I can understand that. Well controlled diabetes is worth nothing if Scruff is miserable. It sounds like he's happy, having fun, and enjoying his life, and ultimately that's all that matters. We would love to continue to get updates on the little guy!
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Glad he is doing well and loving life!
            Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

I am curious as to why you would let his thread fade into history. Yes, we encourage blood glucose testing but not to the extent of making you or your dog miserable. We still want to hear how Scruff is doing and monitor his progress whether you ever blood test him again or not. There have been several members who don't test but still hang around us.

I would encourage you to have the vet do some testing regularly especially if he starts acting differently or you sense something may be going on with him. Things can change over time.

If Maggie had a negative reaction to testing to the extent it affected her quality of life and spirit, I would not put her through it. I think you have to do what you are comfortable with and if there is an emergency, you know how to do it if you have to.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Well, it has been almost a month since I last gave an update.

Scruff is doing okay. His weight is about the same, might have gained a half pound. But, considering we stayed in the "cabin" for almost two weeks due to the very cold weather and loads of snow, he has done okay maintaining weight.

The most noticeable change I've observed is he seems to have less of an appetite in the morning. In fact, sometimes he doesn't eat until an hour to an hour and half past the normal 12 hour interval.

His energy level seems to be basically the same! With better weather, we've been out and about several times per day.

I've not done any BS testing for slightly over a month. I do use the urine test strips. So, that I can get a somewhat realistic results, I check his urine several times per day. I go out with him at 2:30 in the morning, etc. Considering he is a non-neutered male, he hikes a lot marking his space, So, I try to test as many of each series of hikes he does. Generally, the first pee is a bit higher than the last.

There have been no accidents since on insulin ............ so, hiking (peeing) is not by volume but the number of times he hikes... make sense?

One good thing, or at least it seems good, practically every morning his reading is low ......... to no change in color at all on the test strip.

So, I've gradually lowered his insulin from 6 units twice per day to 4.5 twice per day.

I read that peanut butter can cause the brain to release the necessary chemicals to tell the stomach it is full much sooner than normal. So, I add about 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter (no sugar added) with his night meal. Using a spoon, I roll the kibbles and bits over and over until there is a slight coat on all the pieces. I then add the chicken pieces and give the dish 15 seconds in the microwave .......... mix thoroughly and he eats it all.

Snacks
                -frozen green beans
                -low fat string cheese
                -an occasional 1/4 piece of dog bone treat

Supplemental B12 every other day....250 mcg and 1/2 81 mg Aspirin (recommended by the Vet)
                Last edited by AndyBees; 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
                Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Glad to hear from you and Scruff! Sounds like he is doing very well which is a testament to your wonderful care! Hope he continues on this road.

Many of these dogs don't have great appetites in the morning. Maggie is not nearly as enthusiastic in the morning as she is at night to eat. I think she would like to sleep in actually.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Update....

Scruff is doing fine! He's glad spring finally sprung on us!

... continuing with 4.5 to 5 units of insulin twice per day.

... Seems the diet has resulted in him dropping the half pound he gained during the winter months.

... Not sure if this is good or bad, but I found another food to mix with his dry dog food (Kibbles and Bits) so that he doesn't pick out just the boiled chicken.. Low-fat sour cream. As with the peanut butter, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sour cream to coat the Kibbles and Bits. Of course, I do rotate back to the peanut butter (no sugar added).

Still no accidents or constantly wanting water.

He still likes to go trail hiking with us...

As I did mention previously, he absolutely hates the BS testing ... so, we don't do that anymore.

I believe his diabetes is being managed adequately!

Comment

Yay - so glad to hear that Scruff is doing well. I am glad that you don't test if it causes him misery. It sounds like he is doing great. If things ever start going badly, you at least know you can test if needed.

Maggie is glad for some warm weather too although she doesn't hike - she likes to lay in the warm sunshine.

Comment

For what it's worth, down through the years, I've always added some human food in Scruff's diet. I've been accused of giving him gourmet meals... As I may have stated early on, my old mutts did well with the mix. Mixed Lab made it past 15 (heart worms got him) and a mixed mutt made it past 15 (kidney failure according to the Vet) on that kind of a diet.

Anyway, I wanted to continue giving Scruff good tasting food. I buy low sodium canned white chicken meat to add with the fresh boiled chicken. I boil the chicken in water and add the drainage from the canned chicken to enhance the flavor. And, as I have mentioned, low fat sour cream and/or peanut butter gives the hard dry dog food a better flavor.... He cleans his bowl morning and night. He does eat less in the morning. I nuke the mix in the micro wave for about 15 seconds, just long enough to knock the chill!

I give him the string cheese and frozen green beans for snacks between meals ..... he always expects something after going out to potty!
                        Last edited by AndyBees; 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

its nice to have a pup that enjoys there meal and very important for a diabetic dog

yes if you get into a pickle you know you can test

great update on scruff
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm with you on the nutritious / tasty adds to the kibble.

Love to see Sonny get excited as I put his bowl down, and then lick the bowl clean. ... Sure beats trying to coax him into eating bland, unappetizing cardboard kibble.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Interesting... I never thought of sour cream. I wonder if our dog likes sour cream (he's not diabetic). Our diabetic dog ate some lowfat cottage cheese as part of his meals for a number of years.

Natalie

Comment

Another update!

Scruff seems to be doing just fine. His weight is stable and appetite is still good.

The hot weather keeps him in the house all day except for potty breaks. He does stay out for about 30 minutes each morning after breakfast. He comes back excited enough to play with his stuffed toy (Jessie).

Seems his energy level is a bit low by the end of the day, but I attribute that to age (be 10 in September), hot weather and the diabetes! Also, due to a number of reasons, we've not been hiking as much this year as in the past. Scruff always goes with us... so, trail hikes I'm sure has had some affect on his stamina !

Comment

Working...
                                X