• Show
Clear All

• Re: newbie needs some input

Good luck today Craig!

Natalie

Comment

Looking better
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

12-01-10
        midnight - 264
        6:10am - 368
        8:15am - 322
        8:45am - breakfast; 1u on the nose. No subQ fluids.
        12:00pm - 205
        12:20pm - ketones negative
        1:45pm - 184
        4:25pm - hi >600

Okay, this is when I get a bit nervous. Do I give him a snack, or stay on the ride to see where it goes?

I'm still liking the numbers, but I don't want him to go too low.

Next test at 2:30pm -3:00pm. Make that 1:30pm - 2:00pm.
        Last edited by SeattleCraig; 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I would ride it out for now. It's the only way to know what he will do. You can intervene if it gets down to 100.

Maybe test a bit sooner to see which way it's trending. When it starts going back up, you could skip a test or two before dinner time in exchange for the early one.

Natalie

Comment

Craig,
            I wanted to comment on something as I'm reading through your insulin dosing. I've mentioned before how sensitive my dog is to insulin. With the very slight adjustments you're making, you might want to check your syringes as I do before you draw up the insulin. I always push the plunger to zero to see if it truly sits "at zero."

Many of my syringes go past this mark or are even just above it. With the slight dosing changes you're making, it could make a difference like it does for us. Just something to note.

Take care,
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I am really liking these numbers. I wouldn't worry yet because you are testing and will quickly find out if Bob is getting too low.

Don't be frightened with numbers in the 100/200 range while you are testing because ultimately these are the numbers you will strive to achieve. Your numbers are dropping nice and steady so hopefully there will not be any of those dramatic dips or spikes. It will be good to see where Bob's low point is in the curve. (Buddy's was around hour 5)

Jenny

Comment

Latest BG 184 (updated below).

I have to run some errands (with him), and won't be able to test again for a couple of hours.

He's really hungry. I was reading somewhere that chicken breast (skinless, boiled) doesn't significantly affect blood sugar. Think I could give him a little piece?

Comment

Craig- I just wanted to say Hi! I'm new here too, and learning so much from your thread. You are a great dog dad! I can't keep my Izzie OUT of the food! She has gone completely blind already, but that lab sniffer of hers is in excellent shape! She managed to get up the stairs, into the right room and find the kitty food I had hidden in a corner! I heard snorting and crunching and couldn't believe she found it. We just started the insulin on Monday, so I am fighting with numbers too- keep up the good work!

Comment

Yes I think you could give him chicken bits
                    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

12-01-10
                      midnight - 264
                      8:00pm - hi >600
                      8:45pm - dinner; 1u; no subQ.
                      midnight - 206

quite a leap there.

I gave him a snack of boiled chicken breast around 2:00pm--it was a very small amount.
                      Last edited by SeattleCraig; 12-02-2010, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I think his insulin just ran out Craig. He seems to have a pattern of going high when there is no insulin. I think once he builds up a bit of a depot, without the fluids, this will drop some. But wow you must be please! these are much much better numbers! He could continue to drop a bit given this is only his 2nd day on 1 unit. Congrats!
                        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                          I think his insulin just ran out Craig. He seems to have a pattern of going high when there is no insulin. I think once he builds up a bit of a depot, without the fluids, this will drop some. But wow you must be please! these are much much better numbers! He could continue to drop a bit given this is only his 2nd day on 1 unit. Congrats!
                          I am pleased, overall, with the day. I hope you're right, Peggy. Y'all have been right so far, and a real godsend.

I'm feeling really good that 1u is the number to stick with for a while.

Comment

Maybe the snack raised the BG. I couldn't give Buddy (14lbs) anything between meals or he would go high. If he ever got too low 4 little bits of kibble could raise him 100 in the blink of an eye. The rest of those numbers are looking very promising.

Jenny

Comment

12-01-10
                              midnight - 264
                              8:00pm - hi >600
                              8:45pm - dinner; 1u; no subQ.
                              midnight - 206

12-02-10
                              7:00am - 288
                              8:30am - breakfast; 1u; still no subQ.
                              9:00am - ketones "negative"
                              11:30am - 202
                              2:30pm - 300
                              5:00pm - 182
                              Last edited by SeattleCraig; 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Craig,
                                I'd watch today, if you're able to, between that 2pm and 4:15pm time frame to try to determine whether he's going low, insulin just runs out, or perhaps yesterday was snack induced.
                                Looks better.
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X