Chicago vet looking for home blood glucose testers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago vet looking for home blood glucose testers

This is from the K9Diabetes Facebook page - if you're interested, with contact her either through the K9D Facebook page or her own page.

Dr. Ruth MacPete
    Today at 2:18pm
    Anybody in the Chicago area have a diabetic pet that they do at home... glucose monitoring on? If so please let me know -trying to raise awareness about diabetes in pets. -Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/DrRuthMacPete/

https://www.facebook.com/K9Diabetes-287328257959987/

Re: Chicago vet looking for home blood glucose testers

About Dr. Ruth ...

http://www.drruthpetvet.com/

Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

She is looking for someone in the Chicago area to participate in an interview - television I think - about testing their dog's blood sugar at home.

Chicago-ans! Great opportunity to promote home testing!!

Natalie

Comment

Focus on Family: Dr. Ruth MacPete talks about pet diabetes
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Its nice to see a vet taking a proactive methodology for the caretaker to have a big role in managing this disease

I think for vets is the difficult part of getting caretakers to take more responsibility for the management of this disease .there odds of a normal happy dogs life is greatly improved but there are some that just cant or wont and then you got the challenge of euthanasia . I think thats why some vets may deter from testing sugar at home because maybe thats what the owner may suggest if it becomes to difficult at least for some vets

I am glad she is upfront with her patients and let them know home testing is part of the equation

To bad jesse doesnt live in Chicago she is a piece of cake for testing and in a weird way she enjoys it

kudos to dr ruth
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

From her FB page and the link to the article online she is quoted as saying "It's something many pet owners are unaware of...dogs and cats can develop type-two diabetes."

I thought dogs could only get Type 1 diabetes??
            Denali: 13+ yr old spayed black lab female. Diagnosed Diabetic 02/06/13. Denali:One Dogs Journey With Canine Diabetes This little girl is the light of my life.

Comment

They can have diabetes that is like gestational diabetes in humans and temporary diabetes in theory from pancreatitis plus Cushing's can raise their blood sugar. So there are non-insulin dependent forms of temporary diabetes.

And cats are more like Type 2 diabetics typically. Sometimes vets fail to distinguish between cats and dogs when discussing diabetes.

Comment

Nice to see an involved, proactive vet in IL. I was so frustrated finding vets in this state.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                X