Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Aw... it's good to know she didn't feel bad about it all. She seems back to normal now?

Natalie
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Aw... it's good to know she didn't feel bad about it all. She seems back to normal now?

Natalie
She is as "normal" as a 15 year old, diabetic, blind, nearly(?) Deaf with neurological problems can be.

Her diabetes is generally good, even though she just tested a low 86 an hour ago. She was a little over 300 this morning so i HAD to mess around by withholding the small kibble part of her breakfast , but kept the same insulin dosage. Guess the 0.4 ounce of kibble makes a difference!

Oh, I've also gone back to playing with Novolin 70/30 instead of separate vials of N and R.

Our vet can't believe Annie is approaching 8.5 years diabetic.

Craig
Old 11-10-2016, 01:40 PM

Think we had a near hypoglycemic event last night. Around 10:30pm, four hours post meal / injection, she started to act weird. Continuous walking and bumping into things at a speed greater than normal. After watching her for maybe 20 minutes I decided to blood test: 49 on the AlphaTrak. Fed a little canned food mixed with about a tablespoon of white rice. She calmed down in about 20 minutes, and tested 101 at 12:30am.

I tried to remember what I may have done different. I'm 99% sure I gave the same weighed amount of food and insulin. No exercise since she went to sleep soon after eating (normal routine). Then I remembered I opened a new can of dog food. I've sort of switched to the "Beyond" brand of canned mixed with a little weight management (Blue Wilderness) kibble.

The Beyond brand comes in many varieties and I recently bought a mixed case to see which one she likes / will eat. This might be the problem! I looked at the can that I had finished yesterday morning and it lists at 434 kcals/can. The food I fed last night was only 315 kcals/can. That's 27% less calories per serving?

I added a little more of the 315 kcal/can the morning, and reduced her insulin by one unit. So far the readings look OK today:
6:30 168
9:30 178
12:30 129

Craig
Old 11-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Wow! Good catch on the lower calories.

Maybe you can test tonight at 10:30pm just to be sure.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 11-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Administrator

It's pretty shocking between brands how much the calories vary - sure wasn't expecting the difference to be so big in the same brand!

Natalie
Old 12-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Here's an Annie update that she posted on her FaceBook account!

"Had my yearly check-up with the puppy eye doctor this morning. The good news is that everything looked good and I've been reduced to only needing Tracolimus ointment! Dr. K THOUGHT she would trim the hair around my face: AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! I put up a big fight, three of them trying to hold me down. I finally got tired and allowed a little face grooming, AFTER I PEED AND POOPED ON THE EXAM TABLE!!

I think I'll go take a nap.

By the way, when we got home Dad tested my blood glucose: 57! Dad gave me a nice treat to raise it back into the good range. Of course the blood glucose will likely be HIGH later this afternoon."

Annie DID NOT like the face grooming. The 15 year old pup put up a good fight!

Craig

Update: 70 minutes after the 57 and treat, she just tested 112.. Can't be sure if the treat is what brought her up to 112, or if she would have risen just calming down.

Last edited by CraigM; 12-20-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Founding Member

lots of fun for miss annie

glad all is well craig
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Love hearing Annie stories!!!

Also love that she still posts on FB - even at her age! GO ANNIE!

Merry Christmas!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:11 PM

Love Annie's post Craig. Did she wind up high? I know Ali would have. What a day!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:54 PM

I NEED MORE SLEEP!

Here my story. For years Annie and I would get up at 6:15, go out to do her morning "thing", then have her breakfast between 6:30 - 7:00. For the past month or two she has been waking at 4:00, even if we go to bed after midnight. If I don't wake up right away and take her out, she will make a "mess" near the door

So I'm now taking her out around 4:00 and back into bed at 4:15. Some time around 5:00 she will wake again and start making "puppy noises" to wake me again! She doesn't need to go outside, but now wants her breakfast between 5:00 and 5:30! I blood test, generally in the mid 100s, and feed her. Back to bed, and if I allow her, she will stay in her puppy bed until noon!!

I've tried locking her out of the bedroom after her 4:00 trip outside, but she would soon start barking after 5:00!.

Bottom line is that she is winning this battle. I'm now testing / feeding at 5:00, even though I don't go to bed until after midnight. I go back to bed until around 7:00, and Annie goes back to sleep until I make her get up around noon!

Boy am I being trained!

Craig