Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Re: My best Pal, Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
Diabetes can certainly change their energy and excitement levels, and make it sporadic.
Before diagnosis, my dog would be up for a walk 10 times a day if I offered.After diagnosis, there were times I couldn't get him out once a day, sometimes once, rarely twice. I never forced the issue.
That has slowly phased out and now he can't wait for his morning walk, then a 4 p.m. walk, and evening walk now and then if I'm in the mood.
Just like regulation, everything takes time to normalize with this disease.
Copy that. I'll have all the time She's gonna want when I get done with this 3 week gig I have for work. So in moderation I'll find a good routine
Bums me out I'm working outta town for a bit. So I have to imagine when I get back in my 1 day a week she should probably want to play a little more
Thanks Again
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 10-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Need Help Guys and Gals
I'm on my last few days out of town and not home My wife just called and said Coke's BG was down to 72 two hrs after supper she has never gone that low even after 6 hrs
She gave her a good amount of maple syrup and it isn't raising her BG what can She give her to bring it up ?
Does it take a while to raise it she has checked her 4 times in the last hr and it isn't coming up
I'm having her feed Coke some biscuits that normally bring it up just a little
and she's gonna call me back soon with a BG
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Did your wife rub the syrup on his gums? That usually absorbs the sugar quicker. But definitely give some carb biscuits or something. Did Reddog exercise before this lower reading?
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofGus View Post
Did your wife rub the syrup on his gums? That usually absorbs the sugar quicker. But definitely give some carb biscuits or something. Did Reddog exercise before this lower reading?
Hi Gus no She was pretty relaxed according to the Wifey (Dog is Coke I'm Reddogg) Hehe
Is rubbing it on her gums better than putting it down the gullet ? We have a cough syrup syringe
Just talked to My Wife a minuet ago and she gave her a little honey and some milkbone biscuits and said it was up to 91 so it looks like she got it to rise
Hopefully it will not go super high after having all the sugar ingest
DOGG
Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddogg View Post
Is rubbing it on her gums better than putting it down the gullet ? We have a cough syrup syringe
DOGG
Yes, you should rub on the gums instead of swallowing. I think it is to absorb the sugar quicker. I asked about exercise because that can cause sugar to lower.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Sometimes it takes a bit for a substance to absorb. Liquids absorb faster than solids, so the closer to liquid the better.
Syrups are thick but should absorb somewhat quickly. Myself, I prefer frozen yogurt. As soon as it's swallowed, it melts to liquid and absorbs quickly.
I think the stomach should absorb as quick as gums, my opinion. Stomach has more surface area of tissue.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM

Smile Re: My best Pal, Coke

When your dog gets a BG that low you can use ReliOn Glucose Gel, in a small amount. Works like a charm.
Or any other brand for that matter....itīs pure glucose; right what he needs.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 AM

Thanks all
Her BG finally came up but seemed to take a little longer than expected
Fortunately she never showed any hard signs of Hypo except lethargy according to My Wife and seems to be in good spirits this morning
I'm done with this Job Sunday so I'll get back with ALL then
Again Thanks all
Dogg
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 PM

Hello all so sorry I haven't been back quite a while to give my Pups progress or lack of I should say
Anyway Coke is Eating like a champ and maintaining a steady 83 lbs Her coat is good and so far Her eyes aren't showing any signs of Glaucoma Her hips are still giving her some discomfort but that is still being managed with pain pills
(not happy giving them) I just can't seem to get her regulated I did a curve yesterday
1-15 start
4:00 pm-260
7:00 pm-334
10:00pm370 . going into 1-16
1:00 am-361
4:00 am-239
7:00 am-358
10:00am405
1:00 pm-378
4:00 pm-371

She is up to 21.5 Units of Novolin N
It seems that when I increase the Dose It doesn't do anything It stays in the same BG levels (I only raise it 1/2 unit at a time)
Should I keep increasing ? Try Decreasing ? Try Vetsulin ? When do I realize she's insulin immune if thats the case
Her food is consistent
1/4 cup canned Proplan chicken in the morning beef at night
1/4 cup boiled chicken (mornings) 1/4 cup cooked lean ground beef (night)
1 cup Hills Prescription
1 cup Natures Recipe (grain free)
1/8 cup pure pumpkin
1/8 cup pureed green been
2 and 3/4 cup twice a day
As always I'm stumped

Any help would be as always VERY APPRECIATED
Thanks
DOGG

Last edited by Reddogg; 01-17-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Administrator

That's not a very big dose for a dog her size - I don't see a problem with raising the insulin dose.

Coke is sooooo beautiful! What a great looking dog.

Natalie