Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My best Pal, Coke

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
    Diabetes can certainly change their energy and excitement levels, and make it sporadic.
    Before diagnosis, my dog would be up for a walk 10 times a day if I offered.After diagnosis, there were times I couldn't get him out once a day, sometimes once, rarely twice. I never forced the issue.
    That has slowly phased out and now he can't wait for his morning walk, then a 4 p.m. walk, and evening walk now and then if I'm in the mood.
    Just like regulation, everything takes time to normalize with this disease.
    Copy that. I'll have all the time She's gonna want when I get done with this 3 week gig I have for work. So in moderation I'll find a good routine
    Bums me out I'm working outta town for a bit. So I have to imagine when I get back in my 1 day a week she should probably want to play a little more
    Thanks Again
    Dogg
    My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

Need Help Guys and Gals
      I'm on my last few days out of town and not home My wife just called and said Coke's BG was down to 72 two hrs after supper she has never gone that low even after 6 hrs
      She gave her a good amount of maple syrup and it isn't raising her BG what can She give her to bring it up ?
      Does it take a while to raise it she has checked her 4 times in the last hr and it isn't coming up
      I'm having her feed Coke some biscuits that normally bring it up just a little
      and she's gonna call me back soon with a BG
      Dogg
      My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

Did your wife rub the syrup on his gums? That usually absorbs the sugar quicker. But definitely give some carb biscuits or something. Did Reddog exercise before this lower reading?
        Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
        10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
          Did your wife rub the syrup on his gums? That usually absorbs the sugar quicker. But definitely give some carb biscuits or something. Did Reddog exercise before this lower reading?
          Hi Gus no She was pretty relaxed according to the Wifey (Dog is Coke I'm Reddogg) Hehe
          Is rubbing it on her gums better than putting it down the gullet ? We have a cough syrup syringe
          Just talked to My Wife a minuet ago and she gave her a little honey and some milkbone biscuits and said it was up to 91 so it looks like she got it to rise
          Hopefully it will not go super high after having all the sugar ingest
          DOGG

Comment

Originally posted by Reddogg View Post
            Is rubbing it on her gums better than putting it down the gullet ? We have a cough syrup syringe
            DOGG
            Yes, you should rub on the gums instead of swallowing. I think it is to absorb the sugar quicker. I asked about exercise because that can cause sugar to lower.
            Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
            10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Sometimes it takes a bit for a substance to absorb. Liquids absorb faster than solids, so the closer to liquid the better.
              Syrups are thick but should absorb somewhat quickly. Myself, I prefer frozen yogurt. As soon as it's swallowed, it melts to liquid and absorbs quickly.
              I think the stomach should absorb as quick as gums, my opinion. Stomach has more surface area of tissue.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

When your dog gets a BG that low you can use ReliOn Glucose Gel, in a small amount. Works like a charm.
                Or any other brand for that matter....it´s pure glucose; right what he needs.
                Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Comment

Thanks all
                  Her BG finally came up but seemed to take a little longer than expected
                  Fortunately she never showed any hard signs of Hypo except lethargy according to My Wife and seems to be in good spirits this morning
                  I'm done with this Job Sunday so I'll get back with ALL then
                  Again Thanks all
                  Dogg

Comment

Hello all so sorry I haven't been back quite a while to give my Pups progress or lack of I should say
                    Anyway Coke is Eating like a champ and maintaining a steady 83 lbs Her coat is good and so far Her eyes aren't showing any signs of Glaucoma Her hips are still giving her some discomfort but that is still being managed with pain pills
                    (not happy giving them) I just can't seem to get her regulated I did a curve yesterday
                    1-15 start
                    4:00 pm-260
                    7:00 pm-334
                    10:00pm370 . going into 1-16
                    1:00 am-361
                    4:00 am-239
                    7:00 am-358
                    10:00am405
                    1:00 pm-378
                    4:00 pm-371

She is up to 21.5 Units of Novolin N
                    It seems that when I increase the Dose It doesn't do anything It stays in the same BG levels (I only raise it 1/2 unit at a time)
                    Should I keep increasing ? Try Decreasing ? Try Vetsulin ? When do I realize she's insulin immune if thats the case
                    Her food is consistent
                    1/4 cup canned Proplan chicken in the morning beef at night
                    1/4 cup boiled chicken (mornings) 1/4 cup cooked lean ground beef (night)
                    1 cup Hills Prescription
                    1 cup Natures Recipe (grain free)
                    1/8 cup pure pumpkin
                    1/8 cup pureed green been
                    2 and 3/4 cup twice a day
                    As always I'm stumped

Any help would be as always VERY APPRECIATED
                    Thanks
                    DOGG
                    Last edited by Reddogg; 01-17-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

That's not a very big dose for a dog her size - I don't see a problem with raising the insulin dose.

Coke is sooooo beautiful! What a great looking dog.

Natalie

Comment

Hi there,
                        Just a note based on personal experience: when Rocco was first diagnosed he was on raw food. Vet asked to change to canned food. Rocco didn´t like it AT ALL, so, he wasn´t eating and that was a major stress as if he didn´t eat, we couldn´t give him insulin. Vet then suggested mixing raw/canned food, the way I see you´re doing with Coke. It worked in the sense that he started eating fine, however his values weren´t going doing. Vet then increased doses of insulin...only to provoke Rocco a couple of hypoglycemic episodes....

Long story short: He´s now eating ONLY raw food and his values are better than ever. His dose also came down a huge deal (vet prescribed 12 units of Vetsulin twice a day and Rocco is now getting 7.5 units twice a day)

To us things just improved the minute we stopped mixing foods (raw/canned) I guess it´s better if you choose one or the other, because mixing them makes it harder to figure out how much protein/fiber/fat you´re actually feeding Coke.

Let us know how he does
                        Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Comment

Thank You Natalie and Martorso
                          I'll start upping the dose a 1/2 unit at a time.I really don't want to start over with a different Insulin if I don't have to
                          As far as feeding Her just Raw I've tried it and She just flat out refuses to eat so I guess I'm lucky she has such a good appetite rather than some of the poor Pups that don't eat Coke is already 13 lbs lighter than when she got diagnosed 6 months ago
                          Thank You
                          DOGG

Comment

Those curve numbers aren't that bad. She has room for a dose increase.

My dog is almost a year in, and I still can't get consistent day to day good numbers. But my vet said she looks more for absence of clinical signs.

Also make sure her diet isn't all protein, make sure she gets some good carbs.
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Agree with Natalie. Your numbers are pretty uniform, and well above a dangerous low point. Your current dose is on the low end for a pooch her weight.

Think you're being wise bringing her up a 1/2 unit at each increase, a few days, a "look see" curve, ... wash, rinse, repeat.

Nice job with your girl.

Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

• Good BG Numbers ?

I have been doing a food change for Coke and am noticing Her BG #'s went from low to high 300's with an occasional 200 and an occasional 400 to
                                With the food change after 6 days Her numbers are A low 300's to low 200's with an occasional just below and just above 100 numbers with no apparent spikes I never changed the insulin dose It's been at 23 units for a month now
                                She gets fed at 5am and 5pm . Today so far is
                                4:30 am-260 (fast)
                                10am----307
                                1:30pm-231
                                4:30pm-194 (fast
                                6:00pm-151
                                7:30pm-194
                                Everyday It seems to level out without a big change in the numbers
                                Is this Normal ?
                                3 days ago is the lowest nadir I got and it was at the fast 4:30 reading =97 but since it seems to stay within 175 maximum between the High and low
                                Is this normal ?
                                How many point spread between The high and the low is considered (Normal)
                                Thanks again
                                DOGG

Comment

Working...
                                X