Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 AM

Default Re: My best Pal, Coke

Hi there,
Just a note based on personal experience: when Rocco was first diagnosed he was on raw food. Vet asked to change to canned food. Rocco didnīt like it AT ALL, so, he wasnīt eating and that was a major stress as if he didnīt eat, we couldnīt give him insulin. Vet then suggested mixing raw/canned food, the way I see youīre doing with Coke. It worked in the sense that he started eating fine, however his values werenīt going doing. Vet then increased doses of insulin...only to provoke Rocco a couple of hypoglycemic episodes....

Long story short: Heīs now eating ONLY raw food and his values are better than ever. His dose also came down a huge deal (vet prescribed 12 units of Vetsulin twice a day and Rocco is now getting 7.5 units twice a day)

To us things just improved the minute we stopped mixing foods (raw/canned) I guess itīs better if you choose one or the other, because mixing them makes it harder to figure out how much protein/fiber/fat youīre actually feeding Coke.

Let us know how he does
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Thank You Natalie and Martorso
I'll start upping the dose a 1/2 unit at a time.I really don't want to start over with a different Insulin if I don't have to
As far as feeding Her just Raw I've tried it and She just flat out refuses to eat so I guess I'm lucky she has such a good appetite rather than some of the poor Pups that don't eat Coke is already 13 lbs lighter than when she got diagnosed 6 months ago
Thank You
DOGG
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 AM

Those curve numbers aren't that bad. She has room for a dose increase.

My dog is almost a year in, and I still can't get consistent day to day good numbers. But my vet said she looks more for absence of clinical signs.

Also make sure her diet isn't all protein, make sure she gets some good carbs.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Agree with Natalie. Your numbers are pretty uniform, and well above a dangerous low point. Your current dose is on the low end for a pooch her weight.

Think you're being wise bringing her up a 1/2 unit at each increase, a few days, a "look see" curve, ... wash, rinse, repeat.

Nice job with your girl.

Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Good BG Numbers ?

I have been doing a food change for Coke and am noticing Her BG #'s went from low to high 300's with an occasional 200 and an occasional 400 to
With the food change after 6 days Her numbers are A low 300's to low 200's with an occasional just below and just above 100 numbers with no apparent spikes I never changed the insulin dose It's been at 23 units for a month now
She gets fed at 5am and 5pm . Today so far is
4:30 am-260 (fast)
10am----307
1:30pm-231
4:30pm-194 (fast
6:00pm-151
7:30pm-194
Everyday It seems to level out without a big change in the numbers
Is this Normal ?
3 days ago is the lowest nadir I got and it was at the fast 4:30 reading =97 but since it seems to stay within 175 maximum between the High and low
Is this normal ?
How many point spread between The high and the low is considered (Normal)
Thanks again
DOGG
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Good BG Numbers ?

looks good 100 points or less from lowest to highest in sugar or vice versa is very stable sugar

200 points is still ok but for me with jesse anything more than that i believe she is losing stability and maybe putting her at risk .

it looks like you are seeing a steady decrease in numbers. its possible the food change could require less insulin so keep an eye on that lowest number

amazing how it takes a bit of time to see things truly settle and it can be quite dramatic as you have seen

congrats .just watch that lowest number
Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM

Thank You
I will definitely watch for Her going Hypo and adjust from the nadir
The good news here is she gained a pound and a half before her diagnosis she was a pretty healthy 96 lb's and after seemed to stay right at a little lite 83 lb's
just at 84.5 she looks a lot healthier
Thanks again
DOGG
Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Any food change can affect BG as carbs may change. Also, any weight gain can require maybe slightly more insulin.

But all in all those numbers are good, especially if you have a consistent range day in day out.

Sometimes the difference between highest and lowest number can be more than we want, but can't be explained. Nadir still guides the dose. But I don't let one nadir change my strategy, I look for what the nadir is on average over a few days.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Thats what I'm doing I haven't had the 97 BG for 4 days now
She fluctuates between mid 200's and mid to high 100's since so everything seems to be leveling out
The four BG's I took today 1st one at 4:30 am were (She eats at 5am and 5pm)
9am-254
11:30am-242
and just now at 4:30pm -280 . So in the last 12 hrs it only fluctuated 38 points I know that since I didn't do a curve that she might have went a little lower but she was with me all day and didn't show any signs of coming anywhere near going Hypo
I figure when I'm satisfied It's running pretty stable I'll go up a 1/2 unit and see where it goes-------A little at a time
DOGG

Last edited by Reddogg; 02-08-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Default Using Organic Ceylon Cinnamon in meal ?

Hello all been a while since I've posted and been around for that matter (work to much)
Happy to report after 1 year of having diabetes My pal Coke is still with us and turned 12 recently I have had a few changes in her diet over the last previous months but all and all she's generally in pretty good spirits most of the time
Last (sorta)curve
4:30 am--330
9:00 am--236
11:00 am-215
---------------
2:30 pm--224
4:30pm--185
8:00 pm--175
9:30 pm--94 *fed her a small milk bone (got scared)
11:00 pm--172
As you can see the 9:30 @ a 94 bg was a pretty good drop and by feeding an 83lb kid a tiny milk bone it went back up to a decent # at least I think thats what did it
I'm wondering if any of You folks have dabbled using cinnamon on the food to help with lowering the insulin resitstance and help lowering BG levels ? From what I have read It seems that it helps Humans with Type 2 diabetes but see no mention of Type 1--------So any Input anyone would have on this will be much appriciated before I start her on a little added 1/4 teaspoon to her food and work up to somwhere around a teaspoon
As Always
Thanks
Dogg

Last edited by Reddogg; 08-07-2018 at 11:47 AM.