Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Using Organic Ceylon Cinnamon in meal ?

Well we used cinnamon on jesse and the only thing it did for her was give her nice breath

what you may have to do is add maybe a milk bone snack everyday if blood sugar normally drops like that . Overall the curve looks pretty good

one year under the belt that good congrats
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-08-2018, 04:25 AM

Thanks jesse
I see she has a new outlook on eating with the new flavor in her food so thats a good thing and better breath would be a bonus also the old girl's breath does get funky now and again
I'm going to keep with a 1/4 tsp with each meal and I'll most likely up the amount a little in a week unless i see some kind of an obvious change in the bg levels. I'll report back with some results or not by then if not sooner
Thanks again
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Generally, from everything I've researched and learned from my own type 1 diabetes, most supplements don't do much. It's generally type 2 that can possibly benefit from herbs and spices, because the pancreas is still somewhat functional.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Well folks I have some early results using ceylon cinnamon and they seem pretty positive as of now but after five days now with everything being done exactly the same with both meals / meal times and shots being @22 units all thru using 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in each meal Coke's BG levels have improved greatly with no big spikes I'll do a full curve next week a put up the numbers but as of yesterday her numbers were
4:30 am-282
9:30 am-287
--------------------All fast reads @ 4:30 . am/pm
4:30 pm-205 . All meals fed @5:00 . am/pm
8:00 pm-180
10:00 pm-186
12:00 pm-297

She has had very similar numbers all week which compared to forever her numbers are staying within 140 pnts consistantly which they have never done before
As I said I'll do a full curve late next week and post the results
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day