Transdermal insulin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transdermal insulin

This is all over the news here today so thought it might be interesting for others to see...

http://www.phosphagenics.com/

Jenny

Re: Transdermal insulin

I wonder how exactly that might work... would you put the patch on just long enough to deliver the insulin? I can't see a lot of dogs wearing something like that 24 hours a day.

One thing I disliked about it is they hype up insulin injections as painful. I'm sure there are people who refuse to give them but it doesn't seem like there are very many such people.

I figure the good news about this and the AlphaTrak is that the pet market is seen as a big and lucrative one worth developing products for.

Natalie

Comment

Wondering if it's like an insulin pump in that you have to rotate patch sites. Might wind up with a patchwork shaved dog

It's an interesting concept.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I got angry too about the mention of painful injections and also about how hard it was and even the non-compliance issue. I know there are people who actually put their animal to sleep when told the have diabetes but would these people spend the dollars on any treatment.

Anyway all that is just PR by someone who doesn't know what is involved with treating a diabetic but I just thought it interesting that there may be something out there soon that doesn't involve needles or such rigid timing of food.

Jenny

Comment

Jenny,
          Thank you for posting that link! I have never heard of transdermal insulin, and I too wondered how the heck it would work! I would imagine this patch, like nicotine or hormonal patches, would need to stay on for a period of time to deliver the insulin over time, but I don't know. In any case, I can tell you that Ozzi won't go for that! When he had bladder surgery, he came home with a transdermal pain patch that was on for a week, and then I took it off. I cannot imagine going through that daily! Maybe the patch lasts for a month, who knows! At any rate, it must involve some sort of shaving to reach the skin, and it seems that would be tough to maintain. I don't know how others feels, but I look forward (at this point) to giving Ozzi his shots. It's become "our time together" and in a weird way, it works for both of us.
          Kevin
          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Working...
          X