Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Chris appears at DogJaunt.com

Recently, Edie of Will My Dog Hate Me? put me in touch with Mary-Alice of DogJaunt.com, who was looking for someone to write an article about traveling with a diabetic dog.

So I recounted the road trip we took with Chris from California to Montana, 1,200 miles each way, in 2006 at www.dogjaunt.com.

There are some cute pictures of Chris in Twin Falls, ID.

And I know Mary-Alice would be thrilled for folks from here to add comments on the blog post with your advice about traveling with a diabetic dog.

Hope you will visit and add to our story with your own.

Natalie
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Chris appears at DogJaunt.com

Natalie - what a very informative article you wrote re your trip with Chris. Timing is everything and since Dozer & I will be driving to Ft Lauderdale (900 miles each way) Sunday for a few days, that article, as well as learning of that website, couldn't have been timed any better for me! As I read your story and kept saying "Oh - good point" & added something to my list of what I needed to bring form him. I thought I had thought of just about everything until I read your story LOL

Thank you as usual for sharing your experience(s) - I hope you realize just how helpful all your posts and experiences are to those of us just beginning this K9 Diabetes journey.

Lori
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Natalie,
That was a great article!! Sounds just like when we travel

Ali used to ride in a large travel pet carrier with the door left off (did this for years) but after our last trip home to IL she was so unsettled I took it apart, piled everything I could in it so stuff wouldn't fall on her and let her ride on her pillow. Makes it harder to pile all of our stuff into the nooks and crannys since the crate isn't holding it up but we made do.

This next move will be more challenging. Typically the car is packed to the ceiling with things we take with us instead of the movers. I think my car with be the "Ali car" and our things will be limited to whatever fits in Tim's truck.

We'll have to have 2 coolers with her type of food. One to keep very well frozen and one for more "fridge" temperature for thawing for next meal.

I think we have more gear for these pups of ours than we would for a small child!
Patty
Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Founding Member

Natalie,

I enjoyed the article and really thought Chris' pictures were great. He looked so good back then.

Bonnie and Angel Criss
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Thanks, Natalie! What a great article. It is very timely for me since we are planning a three day road trip from SC to MN this summer. It will be me, my teenage son, my preteen daughter and Lily! We've made many 7 hour trips together to FL, but nothing like this. Lily is going to love it once we get there. We'll be spending a month at my parents lake house. For a very active border collie mix that loves the water, she'll be in heaven.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Wow, lots of road trips coming up!

It is wonderful that so many motels now accept dogs. We still find that a few of them have weight limits that Chris then and Jack now far exceed.

The one frustrating thing is that many of them will allow dogs but have no hospitable set-up for bathroom duties. We have stayed twice at one in Reno that worked great for Jack except it's one huge block of pavement with barely a sandbox sized patch of weedy ground at the back that's "the dog area." He generally refused to use it and if we hadn't taken him to the wonderful HUGE leash-free dog area every day, he might never have found a place for his business.

One lousy patch of grass - that's all we ask!

Natalie
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Great article Natalie. Chris was soooo cute
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Wow Natalie! Great article! Having traveled across the country several times with dogs.....and now with Soaphie being a diabetic - it is no easy task. You need to be organized and think of EVERY possible scenario. Great job!

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Great article Natalie....you've covered it all. Our trips were made easier because we were always travelling in a truck when Lady was diabetic. Injections went so much better on the tailgate of the truck!!