Jesse just diagnosed with Cushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jesse just diagnosed with Cushings

Oh- All of you are so wonderful - your kindness and caring brings me to tears, literally.
    Because this story has taken so many twists turns due to veterinary politics - with no consideration for my Jesse, I haven't responded, #1 its so complicated #2 my heart is being ripped apart and I haven't had the mind or strength to e-mail.
    As of this am. - I had to get a new vet- yes, it sounds as though you we're right, Dr. Peterson ordered a new ultrasound to look at the adrenals. and a acth stim.
    I was able to find someone (last ditch effort) to do a ultasound today.
    My other vet decided to go on his vacation (he never told me!!!!) so he wanted to wait till next mon before we proceded with anything!!!!
    Roadblock after roadblock - at the expense of Jesse - its really vet politics.
    Thank you Border Collie mom - I really needed to hear that- your words are giving much needed strength. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.
    I'm waiting for a call from Dr. Petersons office - he may or may not still work with me, he feels out of courtesy he should wait for my vet to return.
    Jesse is getting weaker and drinking more water by the day.
    Everybodys feelings - except Jesse.
    My vet should have told me 3 weeks ago he was going away, but he waited till last Thursday night to tell me.!!!!! Talk about courtesy!!!!!!!!
    (Did any of my story even makes sense) Ohhhh Boy
    I have to go now - thank you all.

Comment

Hi Patti,

SO good to hear from you again!!! I was getting a bit worried. But I'm one of the resident worry-warts.

Bless your heart....so many difficulties at the beginning of an already scary situation. But keep in mind that Cushing's is slow progressing disease, so a few more days shouldn't hurt Jesse. I know it is hard to see him feeling badly, but you've gotten the ball rolling and soon he will be on his way to an answer. The good thing is, he has no idea what is happening and so doesn't worry...he will leave all that up to you! Your love and devotion will see him through these trying days and one day soon he will kiss you in gratitude for helping him feel better.

Meantime, let him have all the water he wants. If he needs help getting up or moving around, you can fashion a sling from a soft sheet, blanket, towel, etc to give him a bit of support. If he is peeing in the house alot, you might get some of those bands for male dogs. Folks that use them have told me they work great! One friend puts an open diaper inside the band for added absorption and to keep the band drier. Don't make any changes to his diet or routine right now. Let him do what seems to comfort him and bring him some happiness.

You will get through this, sweetie, and we are with you as you progress along this Cushing's path. Write when you can.

Take care and keep your chin up! You are doing a fine job, so don't despair.

Hugs,
      Leslie and the girls
      "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
      and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Heh Patti - it's Kim! Glad to hear an update... was worried. As Leslie said the sonogram can probably wait. OR you could let the vet know you don't care to politely wait... While not a cure, I give my dog milk thistle for her liver. It comes in capsules. I get it from the health food store. I empty 1/2 of the capsule with her am meal and the other 1/2 at night. It helped her numbers come down after being on lysodren for quite a while so while I'm no scientist, I personally believe it has helped her liver.

Let us know what you decide to do. Hang in there and feel free to post all you want - we have seen and heard it all, trust me!

Hugs
        Kim

Comment

Hi Patti,

I hope your ultrasound is crystal clear and you get a confirmed diagnosis for Jesse. I am also hopeful that Dr. Peterson will continue to work with you. I've read alot by him and he seems extremely knowledgeable and he sounds like a really good guy. I know how difficult it is when you see your beloved pooch not doing well but you gotta hang in there. You may have your confirmed diagnosis later today and if not, then real soon.

Ken

Comment

Hi Patti,

Are you planning to have an ACTH stim done, too? If so, are you going to do it through Univ. of TN, Knoxville (the UTK full adrenal panel that includes the ACTH stim)? This is what Leslie had told you about previously. The UTK panel should be done before treatment with Trilostane.

-Susy

Comment

Hi Suzy, Yes the acth stim test was done today.
              My vet said the ultrasound (2nd one) did not show abnormal adrenals.
              He said all the organs looked good, the ultrasound is being sent to Dr. Peterson today or tomorrow as well as the acth test.
              I will talk more tomorrow. I'm so exhausted.
              My Jesse is getting everything I've got.
              Someone mentioned the peeing, we're lucky (hes lucky) the front porch is partially enclosed and carpeted, he sits all day watching neighbors and the goings on, so to pee or poop he goes down his ramp ( I built it last year) and he's all set. He stays around on his own - no need to watch Mr. Jesse.
              Thank you all again, You are all angels.
              Patti and Jesse

Comment

The ultrasound report sounds great!

And it sounds like Jesse has "The Life". That's wonderful that you made a ramp. I bought one about 1-1/2 years ago for Wylie to get in & out of my Jeep Cherokee - because he had started to hesitate when jumping down. I'm so glad I have it now with all the vet visits he now has.

Can't wait to hear what Dr. Peterson says.

-Susy

Comment

Has anyone heard of this being used??
                  google - antech diagnostics - retinoic acid cushings treatment

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/cli...8/dec08_01.htm

Well, still waiting for the ultrasound to get to Dr. Peterson and also the acth stim test results.

I'm glad to know you will all be there when the tests come back.

Thank you all, Patti and Jesse

Comment

I know that people here have heard of it, but I believe no one here has tried it or knows of anyone trying it.
                    -Susy

Comment

Hi Patti,

I've read a number of abstracts for that study. It was a 2006 study done at the University of Buenos Aires and I was really excited when I read the first abstract. I got even more excited when I saw that it actually shrinks the size of the pituitary tumor (adenoma). We've all been so heartbroken over the loss of many cushdogs with macroadenomas so the prospect of a treatment that reduces cortisol as well as shrinks the tumor had me soaring with hope. I sent an email to Dr. Jack Oliver at the University of Tennessee to determine if they were doing any studies on this treatment and he responded that UTK does want to do their own study but he didn't know when that would be. Since the study was done in 2006 with such promising results, I asked why we aren't seeing more about it. He said more research needs to be done but he doesn't think anyone is pushing it because of the expense factor.....it is very, very expensive. I was pretty bummed.

I am sure that you are anxious for Dr. Peterson to confirm the diagnosis and believe me, I'm going to be on pins and needles too. Not every member is fortunate enough to have a world reknown expert on the case so we'll all be looking forward to your updates.

Give that beautiful Aussie boy a big hug for me.

Glynda

Comment

Hi Patti,

Try this link; I think it is the one Glynda is talking about. I tried to post it earlier but am not sure it worked 'cause when I tried it just now, it didn't. This one did in the preview!

Retinoic Acid as a Novel Medical Therapy for Cushing’s Disease in Dogs
                        http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/con...ull/147/9/4438

Hugs,
                        Leslie and the girls
                        "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
                        and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Glynda,

I was sure you had heard of retinoic acid.
                          http://www.jci.org/articles/view/11098

When I read about it , I called the local pharmacy and asked the price - $3,000 FOR 100 PILLS, WOW, then I thought - Canada ! I could get it for 1/2 price. Something like $1,400. My mom said she'd split it with me.
                          (We would both live in a tent if we had to for Jesse.) We don't agree on everything - (we live together) but when it comes to our furry friends, the sky is the limit.
                          I called all over CT and no one has used it - they said probably because its so expensive.

I thought I would add this.

I'd been giving Jesse a few supplements I had read about for about a month or more. ( I knew it wasn't a cure all)
                          2 weeks ago when the blood tests started I backed off as to not alter the tests. I wish I hadn't because all the symptoms exhasberated within a few days of backing off.
                          When I started back up a few days ago - the symptoms calmed down.!!
                          Coincidence?? I don't know - but I don't think so.
                          Here is what I had been giving him.

http://dogtorrx.com/recommend.php?lang=en (read Ackerman)

I did call Ackermans office to confirm they are using the formula.

Seriphos phosphorylated serine
                          http://www.drdebe.com/phosphorylatedser.html

Jade Spring teapills
                          http://www.heavenearthchineseherbs.c...lls-p-142.html

Well, lets see what tomorrow brings - my vet should be calling and Dr. Peterman is off tomorrow, he will call Friday.(I still couldn't get any test results)

Glynda - I thought this was interesting.
                          When I talked to someone at Dechra - I was told Peterman has treated more dogs with trilostane than anyone around - Petermans secretary told me he's only treated a few dogs with trilostane - but - she said he is the spokesman for Dechra. It seems as though there are alot of twists and turns when it comes to Dechra.

Its 2:00 am, oh, I'm not on pins and needles. Not much.
                          I don't ever remember being this nervous about anything in my life, but then - I've never met anyone like Jesse in my life either.

Thank you all again, Patti and Jesse.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                            Well, it is now 6:30 am and Jesse is on his cushy carpeted front porch, out there since 11:00 pm, he just went down to pee now . 7 1/2 hours
                            (I sleep from 7 pm till midnight and come down and keep my eye on him till morning, my mom has the 6 - 12 shift.)
                            At 2:00 this morning I mentioned a few supplements.
                            I have to say a little more about them.
                            Jesse had his first uti in Sept. (I think) that was the 1st sign of cush. looking back. he was on antibiotics, which I hate, the uti came back a short while later. I started looking for something else - anything besides antibioitcs.
                            Here is the answer. Right here.!!! Mesosilver!!

http://www.colloidsforlife.com/silve...Infection.html

Hes been on silver since Sept. - I have his urine checked every 3- 4 weeks and the test comes back - "perfect" everytime. ( I always read dogs with cushings have constant uti's.)

Also - as I said before this thread, when I stopped the supplements, things skyrocketed.( I thought it was a coincidence) After last night and yesterday I'm TOTALLY CONVINCED THEY HELP - ALOT!!! Last night is the first night THIS WEEK he went without peeing in his sleep. He HAD NOT EVER peed in his sleep before this week - he would go 6-7-8 hours !!!!(but because the water consumption went through the roof as I said) he began to pee in his sleep when I stopped the supplements. Also, yesterday he took 4 little walks by himself around the yard (like he used to), the week off the supplements (last week) he did not take one walk!! He barked at everyone that went by yesterday , (he barely took notice of anyone this past week)
                            and - he was much more calm the last two nights. No question. And the water drastically dropped yesterday. My mother took notice too, she said "don't ever stop those supplements again!! She said you could see it in his eyes yesterday - he was just plain feeling better.
                            I think the drugs are necessary - BUT - I definitely think with the proper supplements - the dosages can be reduced.
                            Read dogtor rx - Dr. Ackermans study.
                            My background is holistic - Jesse is really holistic - he hasn't had a vaccine since he was 2 yrs old. ( my vet at that time was a Cornell vet teacher, he taught me alot, he was actually Dr. Martin Goldsteins partner )

I'm not saying to not use the drugs - I'm just saying that from what I witnessed this past week - all of these things made a HUGE difference - no question in my mind.

I'll be interested in your feedback.(sorry its so long)

Patti and Jesse

Comment

The retinoic acid link is really interesting...I am surprised it has not been tested yet here in the states. Silver for UTIs, I think has been around for some time...it just gets overshadowed by other methods.

I agree, each case is different, and some dogs respond to various supplements or combinations thereof. I've had great success with cranberry extract tabs....they've prevented additional UTIs in my 12yr old female Aussie (Mandy).

I'm using supplements for the liver, a glucose control vitamin, and an herbal mix, in tandem with generic Anipryl. It has proved effective, but hard to say what drives what.

I added a dose of melatonin (3mg) in the evening this week....after reading some promising stuff on it. At the very least, it seems to provide her with a very restful sleep!

I look forward to hearing/seeing more on Retinoic acid.

Jeff

Comment

Hi,

Oh - just reading more, I wish I could read more success stories.
                                Waiting for the vets to call - it should be tomorrow.
                                Am I right - is lysodern prescribed more for adrenal and trilostane more for pituitary??
                                It seems that there are so many bad reactions - at least from what I'm reading.
                                Maybe I should stop reading. But I have got stay informed to know what to watch for - right??
                                Dear Lord help me - to help my Jesse.

Comment

Working...
                                X