MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Okay, so I said two dogs is enough, and I meant it! However, Kobi really, really needed a playmate. He and Abby get along incredibly well, but he's 4 1/2 months old and at 14 years old, Abby has zero interest in playing with a pup! So I started looking for special needs puppies, and found a deaf Australian Shepherd mix in MN. I spoke with the foster Mom and she spoke with the owner of the shelter, but they would not budge on their policy to not adopt out of state even though I would have flown out and brought her home with me on the plane, not in cargo. On Friday, Oct 15, I found a 3 1/2 month old Australian Cattle Dog with neurological issues in Pennsylvania, and the next day (last Saturday) I took the trip to East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania (6 hours each way) to meet Maggie.

I immediately adopted her, and she and Kobi instantly became bff's. It's amazing that both puppies immediately bonded like this. When I got home at 8:30pm, the two of them played like crazy, and it was like watching wrestling matches! They played until midnight, and only stopped because I needed sleep! The night went great, and they were up and at it again the next morning. They both acknowledge Abby, but don't bug her, which is what I hoped for. Abby just couldn't be Kobi's very needed playmate, and Maggie is filling that role well.

Maggie is doing very well. There has been essentially no adjustment period, mostly because Kobi took over and showed her the ropes. She is eating and drinking, and one of the most friendly dogs you could ever meet. Her tail truly does not stop wagging, even when I reprimand her for peeing in the house. I'm working on house training. She definitely has some neurological issues, and leans to the left, particularly her head. She walks, almost side to side rather than straight forward at times, and makes a lot of "circles." She does fall a lot for no apparent reason. She tries hard to get up the stairs, but isn't exactly successful yet, and I have to be behind her to catch her because she falls backwards.

I don't know anything more than the breeder (from Kentucky) brought her to a local kill shelter because she was "stupid." She apparently fell out of a crate at 2 weeks old, and this head injury is the origin of her neurological issues. She was on steroids for "brain swelling," but never had any kind of medial work up. The rescue in PA got her out of the Kentucky shelter where she would have been destroyed, and now she's mine! She really is a sweetie pie and doing well despite her neuro issues.

Maggie is not house trained at all, and I had been taking her out every 1/2 hour, and she would pee each time, and still have accidents in between. I actually hoped she had a bladder infection (since that might explain the issue), but the vet did a urine and it was clear. I finally had to get diapers (which I really HATE on a dog), but it's helping out a lot. I'm hoping that her incontinence isn't part of the neurological issue, but will deal with it if it is. It's possible that there is a disconnect between her brain and the nerves that innervate the bladder.

Her stool sample showed coccidiosis and both she and Kobi are on Albon for that now. She's also on amoxicillin for two head wounds that weren't healing up very well (apparently from another dog's tooth while playing at the foster home).

My vet did a very extensive neuro exam on Maggie. She had findings of moderate proprioception issues in both the front and back legs, meaning that she doesn't exactly know the orientation of her limbs. She has a hypermetria gait. She is unable to pull her paws up onto the table when her extended legs touch the table, which I think is more of the inability for her to understand where her limbs are. Her reflexes are good. Maggie doesn't have a "dome-head" so there is no evidence of encephalitis. Based on the exam, the vet believes that she sustained a traumatic brain injury that affected the cerebellum, and therefore her fine motor skills are significantly and permanently impaired.

She said there is no medical or surgical correction for this, so seeing a neurologist would not produce anything beneficial. She did however tell me to watch Maggie for any changes or progression of her neuro symptoms, and if that occurred, it would be prudent to see a neurologist. My vet said that while there is nothing to do at this time, there is no reason she will not live a full and happy life, which I already knew! So, it doesn't appear that she will ever improve, but her symptoms could progress.

Because of the head injury, Maggie is at risk for developing seizures, so I need to watch and make sure she doesn't have a loss of consciousness when she falls. If so, she'll be treated with anti-seizure medication. Also, she mentioned that neurologic dogs are at higher risk for adverse reactions with anesthesia, but reassured me that she expects Maggie will be okay for the spaying.

Maggie is really doing well here. She is totally in love with Kobi, and the feelings are mutual. They work well together. She falls and he can't see her, so he thinks she's just playing. He's mapped out the house, so he has no problem here, but when I take him out, he gets nervous and Maggie helps him by "leading" him around, because she can see. And both of them play like fools and leave Abby alone. So really it's a win-win-win situation! LOL!

Here's a pic of my girl

And here's a pic of Kobi and Maggie that I have titled "Love Is..."

Finally, I took a couple of cell phone videos that are short and not that great, but very, very cute and worth the 15 seconds each! Make sure your volume is on! They are on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au9yxPEtWI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFeFFCFJhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-bAxg7R9qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPaAINwRtpo

Kevin
    Last edited by ozzi; 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM.
    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Re: MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Wow Kevin....what an awesome pair! I'm so glad they have each other and you and Abby. Hope the peeing in the house clears up soon. Take care,
    Jo-Ann

Comment

Kevin

They look like they are made for each other!! Kobi is so sweet snuggling up to her. I'm so glad that this work out for all the pups. You're a wonderful guy to adopt special needs pups kevin.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Kevin!! What a cutie Maggie is! And Kobi's infatuation is obvious

They work well together. She falls and he can't see her, so he thinks she's just playing.
        LOL!

Actually, I know what you mean. We have a dog in our neighborhood who looks really aggressive when he sees another dog. He stops in his tracks and looks mean! But he's not. He's actually playful and fairly friendly. Everybody in the neighborhood, including dogs, who saw him were afraid of him. Except Chris, who couldn't see him and didn't pick up any scent or feeling of aggression.

Congratulations all around!

Natalie

Comment

Oh Kevin, Maggie is adorable and it's just wonderful that she and Kobi have become so attached. You are a very special person to take in not one but two dogs with special needs, they are so lucky to have you. And I can just tell that you will also be fortunate to have THEM. I think animals have a real sense of the fact that someone has rescued them from a very poor situation and say thank you through many years of devotion to you. Congratulations to all of you!

Carolyn
          Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Oh my!....so adorable!!! ...and the movie clips are so sweet! You are definitely going to go through toys in that household.

Hoping the frequent peeing isn't neurological and just a small puppy bladder.

Gosh Kevin, it's hard to believe she fell out of a crate...where in the heck was this crate to be up so high she'd get hurt that badly?! What a blessing she found you!

Congrats!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

You're a good man Kevin! And I don't throw that term out much! Congratulations! This just made my day!

Pam

Comment

Bless your heart Kevin for giving those babies a nice comfy home, all the care they need and a great daddy.

They are thanking you by giving you those precious moments and it is just so adorable.

Tks for sharing them with us.

Louise

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

Maggie is doing great, (except for the incontinence). Her head wounds from the dog at the foster home are healing nicely, and she and Kobi continue to be best buds. She is the happiest puppy ever. I think her brain got stuck in happy mode when she suffered the head injury. Regardless of the tone you use with her, the response is always the same...running toward you, wagging her tail and ready to give you kisses. She either can't decipher the difference between my happy voice and my angry voice, or she's running a scam on me!

Patty, I agree that her head injury history seems dubious. I also wondered how high her crate could have been. This was the story that the breeder apparently told the Kentucky shelter which was relayed to the Pennsylvania shelter. I didn't think it made sense, and really didn't want to think about how she may have really sustained the head injury. I can only be thankful that the breeder no longer has her.

Several of my friends have met Maggie and the comments go something like this: She's really cute and very friendly, she acts like a puppy but she walks like she's had a few too many beers! LOL

Kevin
                  Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

How sweet! Congratulations on that pair!

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Kevin, if the set up is anything like what Buddy and Cleo's breeder(?%$%?) had, she wouldn't let us in the barn (dilapidated and where other farm animals were kept along with the new puppies) and her house (I would have been afraid to get my socks dirty), she kept us in a little room (no heat and it was November) where she had crates piled one on top of the other and, if memory serves me right, I counted at least 4 high. So a fall from one of the top ones would be about 6-7 feet if not more.

Cleo (our female) was so traumatized that it took her about 3 months before she would go to my husband and every time he went near her, she would just pee. Now he can't shake her and she has him wrapped around her little paw

Based on my experience, bad breeders can really affect a puppy's behaviours in their first 10 weeks of life. I am grateful that she has you for her daddy and hopefully Maggie will learn that peeing in the house is not a good thing.

Louise

Comment

My goodness Kevin............how did I miss this.

They are so cute I must say you are one very special guy Kevin

You have a heart as big as lion ( not one lion but 101)

I know your Maggie will have a wonderful life with you and Kobi they just look so totally "Right" together.

I cannot praise you enough Kevin this is just "wonderful"

Hugs Margaret
                        Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Oh, Kevin - somewhere between screwing up my back and spraining my ankle, I missed BOTH of the new additions to the family!

Those sweet videos made me tear up. It's amazing to think that neither of them may have found their forever home had you not been so ready to open your heart to them. Now they look like 2 peas in a pod and it's hard to imagine them not together! I love how they balance each others challenges and already work so well as a team...they're so adorable.

I love that you specifically wanted to adopt pups with medical needs. You have such a huge heart and a knack for adapting that I really admire. Huge congratulations to the entire happy family!
                          Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Oh, KEVIN! bff! Just look what you went and did while I had no phone for two weeks! I came to look for you, as I hadn't seen you on the diabetes forum since I got phone service again! And here I find you now have TWO new rescues - what a team they are - in your capable and loving hands!

Someday when I have a ton of time, I'm going to go watch your little video clips - takes forever on dial-up but I KNOW I want to see those!

I guess it's a few days since you've been here, and I trust you'll be back with new news, and also on the diabetes forum; you're so much help there.

Camellia sends a special welcome to Maggie, again to Kobi, and to you and Abby as well.

In which Kwali and Kumbi join Camellia!

Love and hugs, and all associated licks and wags! You are A total INSPIRATION for all of us! - humans and dogs alike!

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:37:32 (PST)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Thank you all again for your kind words!

Carol, you are right, I have been MIA lately! It's not how I would like it, but life with 3 special needs dogs consumes so much time. They are all sleeping right now (hard to believe) so I have a few minutes to get updated on others, and will give my update here.

Abby is doing unbelievably well on daily Flagyl and samE. She's the best she has been since June. She still refuses dog food, and I realize I'm going to be home cooking for her from now on. I alternate beef stew, meatloaf (with veggies), and chicken stew. Just when she gets sick of one thing, we're on to the next, so it's really working out well. I find myself making a stew every 3 days in the crock pot, but it makes her happy. She has been needing 1/2 xanax every day now for the laryngeal paralysis, and it really helps keep the difficulty breathing and gagging to a minimum.

Kobi is Kobi. OMG, what a love bug he is! He just completed a course of Clavamox for a UTI after getting off of Albon for prevention of coccidiosis which Maggie had. He's doing fine now. He is an incredibly good listener, and follows my commands. When I bring him places that he has never been, I say "step up" for stairs, and he never fails to step up! He's learned to go right and left by me snapping my fingers to the side of his ear in the direction I want him to go. He's growing like a weed and has become a tall boy! He continues to attract everyone who we meet on walks, etc. He has a follow-up appointment on 11/22 with the opthamologist in Boston. Fingers crossed that all will be well. The opthamologist said that if he made it to 6 months without retinal detachment, it was almost a certainty that he would not develop this in the future. The next day, 11/23, he's scheduled to be neutered and have his rear dew claws removed.

Maggie is a cutie pie, and she loves living here! She finished a course of Albon for coccidiosis and I'll be bringing in a follow-up stool sample on Monday. She and Kobi play for hours on end, or until I lose my mind, whichever comes first! She's been listening better, but still marches to her own drum, and no matter what, wags her tail and kisses me! I take her out constantly, but still struggle with her incontinence. I did find a washable diaper at PetSmart, which I line with a bladder control pad, and that has helped the carpeting! She is telling me about 50% of the time when she needs to pee, so that's a huge improvement. She is scheduled to be spayed on 11/23, and she and Kobi will have one another to keep company before their surgeries.

Fourteen years ago, I traded in my car for a Jeep so I would have room for Ozzi and Abby's crates. I've had Jeeps since, and now I'm selling my current one and planning to become a "soccer mom" by buying a minivan to cart these three around! If everyone continues to be healthy, I'm hoping to get to Florida for the winter, and with 3 dogs and a cat, I don't know how else to do it except with a minivan. I bought a house in Florida last June with the intention of going for the winter, but Ozzi was so sick and not adjusted on insulin, so I never made it. Hopefully this year! It's getting cold in New England, and I would like to be with my family this Christmas if possible.

So that's the update for now!
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X