No announcement yet.

Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jack has a couple of bad discs in his back!

Oh poor Jack

I do hope the restriction will be worth it in that the inflammation will subside and he'll won't need to see the neurologist quite yet.

Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
      She would like to have him crate-rested but agrees that would probably drive him crazy so we are trying a modified version of it. If he doesn't improve, the next step is to see the neurologist. I love the neurologist - we saw him with Chris - but sure hope we don't have to see him again if you know what I mean.
      Natalie,

I really do know exactly what you mean...ha ha! Ozzi did quite well for several years on an NSAID and we upped his dosage to the maximum for a couple more years, and again he did well. He has had a poor response to the paw-turn response for a couple years as well. After seeing the neurologist, Ozzi started tramadol twice/day and it literally changed his life. We can take walks now, and he is so much more comfortable. I had no idea that he was in such pain until the neurologist told me that, and I saw the difference myself once the pain was treated. I realize that Jack and Ozzi have some of the same back issues, and some that are different, but I was wondering if Jack would feel better if he got some tramadol regularly during this difficult period. I know that you know best...I just hate to see anyone or any animal in pain if it can be avoided, especially since I saw such a dramatic response with Ozzi. I used to use crates for Ozzi and Abby when they were babies, but I don't think either one would be too pleased to revisit that now! So I agree with you about the stress level and frustration of using a crate now. Good luck with Jack and I hope he's feeling well quickly. The NSAID's are an amazing class of drugs.

Ozzi also became unable to jump onto the couch or the bed, and has a great deal of difficulty with the stairs or getting into the car. He did NOT want me helping him EVER! I tried picking him up to get him into the car, and he really resented it. My nephew is in trade school for carpentry and built Ozzi an awesome step that allowed him to get into the car for a while. Now that he is blind, it doesn't work well, and I have to pick him up which is a struggle, but we both manage! He also hates the ramp I bought and won't use it to get on the bed, but insists on being on the bed, so I had to put the mattress on the floor. It works better for him than it does me! Do you think Jack would use a "step" rather than a ramp to get into the car when he's feeling better? I really found this to be a lifesaver...Ozzi's dignity was not sacrificed, and he really was able to use it well while he could see. Just a thought.
      Kevin
      Last edited by ozzi; 04-27-2010, 08:20 PM.
      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I sure wasn't expecting Jack to share this particular problem with Ozzie!

We have been miserly with the Tramadol because apparently there's a significant concern about an interaction between it and the Prozac. The dose allowed is so small that I don't know if it even does anything.

Jack also shares Ozzie's dislike of being assisted!

We have successfully lifted him into the SUV but lifting him out is nearly impossible. He hunches down to avoid it and refuses to stand up! He's also not crazy about the ramp but I have gotten him to use it at times. I've ordered another ramp of the kind I liked best and I think ultimately the ramp will be better for his back than the squirming and hunching he does when we try to lift him.

We got a step for the bed... no way, won't use it to go up. Leaps over it, even on leash. He can be coerced into using it to go down.

There is so much irony in this whole situation!

Besides giving away the best ramp we ever owned just before this problem developed, we bought a bed frame in the past month or two - first time our bed has been raised above the floor since Chris went blind in 2004!!!!!

We are already debating whether to just put it in the garage and go another decade and a half (I hope) with our mattress on the floor!

He is not happy about this sudden change in activity in his life. Doesn't understand it and seems a bit depressed about it. I wish I could explain it to him...

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,

I knew you would be doing everything you could for Jack! I had forgotten Jack is on Prozac, so the tramadol probably isn't even worth it. I share your frustrations. The "I don't need help" thing must be a macho thing...Jack and Ozzi are exactly alike in that, however Abby would be thrilled if I carried her around all day! ha ha I cannot believe you just got a bed frame, and may have to get rid of it already...the things we do for our pets!!
          Kevin
          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Wow Natalie, how do you keep a young healthy dog from doing what is fun and natural to him.

I guess if you can convince him that it is more fun to do it your way but then how would you do that.

I didn't realize you had been sleeping on the floor.....I didn't quite go that far but we did buy a bed set that was pretty low to the floor for Bud.

Jenny

Comment

We didn't have much choice after Chris, once blind, made two very graceful leaps to get up onto the bed... front feet tucked in, beautiful rising arc to his body...

Landing place nowhere near the bed

He came crashing down onto the floor and that was it - the bed frame went out in the garage so he could step up instead of jump.

I was a little surprised myself to realize it had been five years without a bed frame.

The new ramp came last night and I used it today to get Jack out for a car ride. Drove carefully, tried to keep it brief. He was gonna go stir crazy if he didn't get out of the house. He went to Wendy's and had a junior hamburger (meat only, no bun), two chicken nuggets, and a dollop of whipped cream off of my Frosty-cino... how guilty do I feel?

Natalie

Comment

LOL Natalie...Ozzi did the same thing. His attempted leaps ended up with him hitting his belly on the frame, and then he fell backwards onto the floor. Of course, like Jack, Ozzi refused help to lift him up! Despite a couple of failed attempts, he continued to try to get up on the bed, actually, insisted! I quickly put the mattress on the floor, and life has been good since...at least for him!

I'm glad the ramp worked for you and Jack. He needed the break! I'm all about keeping them quiet when they need to be, but, at a certain point, cabin fever sets in, so I think it's actually beneficial to "break the rule" for a short time! And a dollop of whipped cream never hurt anyone!! I bet he loved getting out and having a special treat!
                Kevin

Comment

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose bed was on the floor because of a dog!!
                  I'm also glad to hear that Jack had a fun outing....maybe that will help his depressed self.
                  (((HUGS)))
                  Jo-Ann

Comment

Yay! Good news at the vet today. Jack's reflexes and responses are all normal - apparently they were markedly impaired two weeks ago - and he didn't show any signs of pain when the vet pressed on his spine in the affected area, this despite his being off of Metcam for 48 hours prior. He is cleared for a very gradual return to exercise, for now just one trip around the block. We will see how it goes without the Metcam in hopes that we can drop it entirely.

A few days of having to get in and out of the car either held or with the ramp and Jack became a nervous wreck about getting in the car. So we have just been backing it down the driveway until the tailgate is as low as possible and letting him jump in and out. Hopefully eventually he will stop stressing and go back to his previous approach to it. He still likes the ride once in, just does NOT want to be picked up or forced to use the ramp to get in.

I am so thankful he healed up so much because it has set some of his behavioral issues back and he just really needs to be able to go out into the world again.

Natalie

Comment

Yeah!!! That's great news Natalie. Laughing at Mr. Independent and having to back the car down the driveway. Bet Jack's glad to be moving around again
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hey, Natalie - so glad Jack is getting better! It's SO hard when a lively dog has to be confined! Keep us posted!

Kumbi agrees with me. Kwali, even more so!

Hugs to you and Jack,

Wed, 12 May 2010 18:10:01 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

So far Jack seems to be doing okay with a gradual return to exercise. He doesn't always show us he's in pain until it's bad, though, so I'm going to have the vet do her neuro tests next Tuesday and also ask her if she will show me how to do them so I can monitor him at home.

Two days ago I had Jack in the car and thought he needed a bathroom break so stopped at a riverside park (not his usual swimming spot).

Jack just barely stuck his head into some tall grass and when I looked at him a few minutes later he was covered in ticks. Seriously... I've never seen so many on one dog in such a short time! He had seven ticks on the flap of one ear!! At least 20 over his whole body.

Poor dog could not understand why I was suddenly agitated and swatting at him!

I'd just put his Advantix on two days earlier so it should deal with the ones we miss. I found one embedded yesterday that I had to pull and am checking him over periodically.

I hate ticks... really really hate them. I have had the creepy-crawlers nonstop ever since!

Natalie

Comment

Ugh...ticks! Gosh Natalie, that many so fast. And the tiny ones are so hard to find.

Good luck with the appointment next Tues.

Patty
                            Last edited by Patty; 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

OOH yuk!! i hate ticks as well. They are awful. Poor Jack
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I haven't ever come across a tick.
                                They don't seem to be in the areas where I have lived thank heavens.
                                Poor Jack, those ticks must have just been planning an attack on the first dog they saw and jumped him.
                                I am guessing you won't be making a stop at that spot again.

Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                X