Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Border collie Jack

I always feel so sorry for the entire pit bull breed...it's been so maligned over the years due to bad owners! There are two about a block away that are constantly getting out...completely irresponsible owners. Unfortunately, these dogs, while they are absolutely sweet and no problem with people, are completely prey driven. Both of them have attacked my Hank several times. Luckily, if I pick Hank up, they go away or don't even bother him. BUT... they've killed a cat and attacked several other dogs in the neighborhood causing severe damage. Police say nothing can really be done! Dogs and cats are property and so these 'crimes' aren't that big of a deal...damage done only to property. Another neighbor who was injured while pulling one of the dogs off hers is working to get the owners held responsible for all of this. My one fear is that they will put the dogs down and unfortunately, I think it will come to that. The dogs aren't safe anymore...because of their owners! That makes me SO angry! They are such beautiful animals...and probably very loving animals but because their owners didn't train them properly... they're the ones who will suffer! Oh I could go on and on! It's such a frustrating situation! I love that saying tho...these dogs SHOULD take their owners to the pound...preferably a kill shelter!
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi Natalie

How is Jack progressing today. Is he able to sit with no obvious signs of pain?

Were you able to finally get the diagnosis so you can put the claim in as I'm sure it must have cost you a pretty bundle the way you described the treatment that he received at the vet emergency clinic.

Let us know when you have a chance

Louise

Comment

So glad Jack is doing better with his tail!

I'm incompetent to comment on the neighbor-pitbull situation. Truly horrid. Sorry they are your immediate neighbors, but glad the dogs aren't at the fence bugging Jack from there.

There's so much in the world of dogs that so often tears at my heart. This place is a good place to be, here on these forums, because it's a heart-healing place, all around.

Jack - wag that lovely tail of yours! Camellia wags hers for you and Natalie!

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:30:10 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Jack's tail seems normal to me, though I'm still being a bit protective and cutting his exercise time a bit short for a while. It started raining today and is expected to continue, so that will give him some additional rest time.

I should probably call the ER vet back and see if she will slap a diagnosis on his chart there. I don't want to spend any more money trying to get a bit back from insurance. I suspect the vet I really like who is now mostly retired might have given a diagnosis. I sure miss him.

As for the pit bulls...

I totally agree - it's not pit bulls that are the problem so much as it is people drawn to pit bulls for all the wrong reasons.

I do think pit bulls present some risks that other breeds do not, including a tendency to be dog aggressive by breeding. The San Francisco Bay Area group that advocates for pit bulls used to say last time I checked that one should never ever leave multiple pit bulls or pit bulls and other dogs unsupervised. Ever. Especially unneutered pit bulls. Perhaps extreme, but safer.

So not everybody should have one. People maybe should be licensed to have one... Same goes for a lot of other breeds too. But not many other breeds have that genetic tendency.

The pit bull who was living next door when we moved here in 2001 was a classic case of human stupidity and neglect. Boyfriend buys house as investment, lets girlfriend rent it, and gives her a pit bull puppy. She hasn't got a clue about dogs so she throws the puppy out into the backyard chained to a doghouse. Rain, shine, wind, cold, 110 degrees... the dog's chained out in the backyard. She started barking and whining constantly. Who could blame the poor thing. So neighbors contacted Animal Control about the noise and that got her allowed into the house for periods during the day.

But never potty trained or trained at all or socialized or walked. She was already ruined. She chewed out walls and doors from the floor to as high as she could reach. She urinated in the house. Once she almost burned it down by jumping on the stove and managing to open the gas line on it.

And she was terribly dog aggressive. The older she got, the worse it got.

She constantly tried to fence fight and get at Chris. Fortunately for Chris, he wasn't even interested and he just ignored her.

But one day she got out - she also dug under the fence constantly and roamed the neighborhood - when she heard Chris and I coming back to the house on a walk. She went around the house, under the fence and across the street toward Chris and I snarling. I had no way to defend us other than my voice and a walking shoulder slung bag I swung at her. If there hadn't been a male neighbor out at the same time who hollered at her and helped back her off, I think she would have attacked us. He kept her at bay until we got back in the house.

Another call to Animal Control and she was required to be kept confined to their property. But one day she heard a tiny little chihuahua who lived across the street out in front of his house. The minute someone opened the door to leave, she tore past him and attacked the chihuahua, who didn't survive his injuries.

And then... they decided she should have puppies... because there's nothing more calming to a dog aggressive pit bull than motherhood... That's when she started trying to break down our wooden fence to get at Chris and every trip out for a walk was like stepping into a mine field because you never knew if she would be out there.

One of the best days of our lives, ever, was the day that wench had a big blowup with her boyfriend and moved out, taking that poor ruined dog with her.

Probably that dog would never have had a great temperament. She was a ruined pit bull from conception most likely. But six months of raising her properly when she was young and maybe she would not have been a dog killer.

I think there's a very good possibility that Chris had pit bull or Am Staff in his mutt mix. But he was the most nonviolent dog I ever met. Another dog couldn't make him fight.

Natalie

Comment

Those stories just make me angry, Natalie. And I don't feel sorry for the people...it's the dogs I feel bad for. And there really isn't anything you can do! I think that is probably the most frustrating part. We have a lot of pits here due to having a certain type of people that live in part of our town. Thankfully, they keep them there so we don't see much trouble. But I always wonder when I do see one what it's life is like. Why does it always take a death of some other animal or person before any action is taken? I know it takes time and effort to get our society up to par on these things but sometime I wonder if we'll ever get there.
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Don't even get me started on pitbulls...
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Right, Tami, considering what you and Soaphie and Sydney went through.

I agree with Natalie - it's a genetic feature that underlies the problems. Some dedicated people can keep Pit Bulls (and their genetic cousins) safely, because they pay close attention to meeting all the dogs' real needs, and remain aware of the genetic tendencies. AND keep the dogs under strict control at all times.

Back to Jack, Natalie; I'm so glad he continues to improve. Good boy, Jack! Camellia will try to wag in synch with you!

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:42:05 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

Good to hear Jack's back up to snuff, Natalie!
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Yep, it's good to hear. We always worry when they aren't doing their best!

Mary
                    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Poor Jack! Next door to constantly barking dogs?! That would drive me nuts. Pip is a barker so once he starts I have to go outside and bring him in. Because he could bark all day long...

I don't know if you know this but Newman is a part pittie.

He's a sweet dog, but let me just say someone has to pay for others' mistakes.

I love him and I am glad he's with us, but he strikes fear in the hearts of everyone I pass while walking him. No one dares pet him and because of this I have to be careful as well. Isn't that a shame?

Comment

I would pet him...but I only pet dogs after asking the owner. No owner, no petting. I don't care what breed...depends on the dog and how you approach. But it IS sad that you and pip have to pay for it with fear. Hugs!

Comment

Newman is so handsome!

We used to have a dog down the street named Bodie who looked absolutely terrifying. He's a big red mix with wolf-colored eyes and a husky/shepherd look with long legs and no matter what he's doing, he always looks intense, intense, intense and mean. Just by being out front he used to terrify people who didn't know him.

I figured out he wasn't actually mean or scary because Chris, being blind, wasn't the least bit afraid of him. Turns out that's just how Bodie looks. He's actually a big ol' teddy bear.

For anyone with fearful and fear aggressive dogs, I love the concept of DINOS - Dogs In Need Of Space.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/DIN...51550661567160

DINOS promotes giving working, senior, reactive, and fearful dogs the space they need to live in the world and for others to always be courteous and obey leash laws, avoiding running up to unknown dogs, etc.

Natalie

Comment

Hi there Nat

My neighbor had a cute dog across the little valley from me, about 1/16 mile, dunno, he's my neighbor I really don't talk to him much and I don't care too other than when I get one of his UPS packages by mistake.

Anyway he had a male, he looked like a cross of a shepard and greyhound, the dog was kept in a kennel outside about 4 ft x5 ft kinda small for a dog like this. All the dog did was bark all day and all night, once he got loose and came over here, he was a great dog, he played and laid down for me, took one of my plastic flower pots and was throwing that all around, he was happy to run and not be locked up in that kennel he needed attention and he wasn't gonna get it. I put a lease on him and took him back to the neighor who was running his mower and naturally thanked me, the dog got loose again and my other neighbor asked me who's dog it was, so now he takes the dog back.

Now when I was looking for a dog after Niki died on the web, I seen this poor dog on the humane society website, I hope someone adopted him, I felt really bad, I couldn't take him, the dog was eager and would run to the AH if he got loose.

That rotten damn neighbor and they are the nice words for him %^*!#had a new dog over there in a months time, a smaller dog, the man is a complete AH, I guess the smaller dog suits him and can stay in the house not to mention this guy is a local small business man.

I avoid this person, he's not even a person in my book, he's goin thru the male change of life always rumming the engine of a car, or using a chain saw and its 10:00 pm at nite that don't bother me as much as it does the other neighbors, what a piece of work!
                            Just had to vent here

Dolly & Angel Niki and the Pipster
                            Last edited by eyelostit; 04-04-2012, 03:54 AM.
                            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Just a quick update on Jack. Whatever causes his pain has been worse for the past couple of months. Today he hardly wanted to walk when I took him out, which isn't like him. He's also showing more signs of his weak pasterns, especailly in back. Not every day or all the time but intermittently and often.

A couple of weeks ago I took some photos of how he was standing on his back feet flatter than usual and sent them to the neurologist. He reviewed them with their orthopedic surgeon and suggested that we do an orthopedic consult since Jack's problems do not seem to be nerve related.

So we are signed up for an appointment in a couple of weeks.

I suspect that in the end his pain and limping problems will probably be soft tissue related, perhaps largely due to his pasterns. We noted this problem early on after we adopted him. And probably no fix but if we can ever truly KNOW what the cause of the pain is, we can better manage it. A couple of GP vets have mentioned laser therapy, for example. But we don't know what to aim the laser at.

Interestingly, also, this is the same time of year he had the acute back pain two years ago. I often wonder if it isn't at least partly related to a seasonal allergy that may generate some inflammation.

There doesn't seem to be much out there on weak pasterns. One show judge guy wrote an article some years ago and most of the other sites just reproduce it. Lots of theories (like most things!).

Risks tossed out as possibilities include a diet too high in protein while the bones and ligaments are growing and developing, too much calcium, raising puppies on smooth surfaces so the soft tissue doesn't get worked properly (Jack may have spent a large part of his young life on a kitchen floor). Some folks have managed to correct it in puppies if it's caught early and those kinds of things are changed.

It's sad to see such an energetic dog who is too uncomfortable to take a moderate walk... his brain really needs stimulation and other than giving him things to chew - he will only chew things he can consume, it's hard to entertain him when his movement is restricted plus not let him become a chubby-chub-chub, which also isn't good for his joints.

Kind of gloomy...

Natalie

Comment

Poor Jack it must be really hard watching him in pain like that. I hope you guys can find out what's wrong, or like you said, at least manage the pain. Best wishes for the appointment.

Comment

Working...
                                X