Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Border collie Jack

We need to see updated pictures of your boy
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Awe, sounds like he must be hurting if he's not minding the rest. Hope the down time helps. And goodness on your car...hope its fixed soon and doesn't break the bank.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

No fun for Jack. Hope the rest helps resolve the concerns and that he is feeling better soon. Good luck with the vehicle too - thank goodness for AAA!
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Sorry to hear your boy isn't feeling well! Hope he perks up soon!
          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

He has spent quite a bit of time the past week chewing on the back side of his right hip. I probably will take him in to see somebody as it seems like his right hip is bothering him in some fashion.

Just not sure who to take him to. I emailed the neurologist today asking what he thought would be best. If Jack needs x-rays of the hip, I would like to have them done by the neurologist and orthopedist at the specialty clinic so they get exactly the views they need to give it a thorough look.

The muscle relaxer stops the chewing but impossible to say if it's pain relief or just being sedated that allows him to leave it alone.

Natalie

Comment

Poor guy.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

He thinks he's a terrier and somehow he's gonna dig his way down into that hole and pull out the squirrel...

Jack is not a camera fan so it's hard to get him to hold still AND look into the camera.

Comment

Jack your sooo cute

Natalie I googled backside chewing a lot of peeps said allergies and some said thyroid.
                  Their giving chlorpheniramine instead of benadryl. Might be worth a try.
                  Have you got "the collar of shame" to put on him in the meantime?
                  Their saying to use milk of magnesia on the wound.

Hope this helps

Mo
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Awe, LOVE the pics

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen him before. What a pretty boy. I can see how those eyes sucked you in when you were scanning pet sites back in the day
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

he looks great natalie . jesse goes though many different challenges. 99 percent of it is temporary and just heals on its own sometimes it takes awhile

actually jesses epilepsy has been slowly fading dont know why but very happy and hope its a permanent trend . i am glad i never put her on medication for that .
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Natalie

Awww...love the pics of Jack. I bet he has you wrapped around his paw...

Barb
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

He's so adorable!!
                            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Natalie
                              Jack is just adorable. What a cute face

I just went through the same thing with Cleo, not gnawing, but licking her hip constantly and limping more and more and even refusing to go on some walks.

The metacam and tramadol no longer helped, the vet (a new one) tried deramax and it doesn't seem to help much. The x-rays show severe degeneration and the hip that is hurting is not the one that she had the surgery on.

Next step is Cartrophen injections. It starts with 1 per week for 4 weeks and then the frequency of future injections depends on how she is.

Hope they find a solution for Jack. I know how hard it is to watch them struggle

Louise

Comment

Jack's stuff sounds a lot like Cleo's Louise. He doesn't have a hot spot there. The skin isn't really broken, no lesion. It was just red and irritated from being chewed on. It is over a knobby part of his hip bone and it does seem to my untrained eye like he may have lost some muscle mass in that thigh.

My guess is that it either hurts or may have nerve issues like burning so he's chewing on it to try to make it stop.

Fortunately, his gait problem is fairly mild and has improved with rest.

When we did the consult with the orthopedist, he was interested in doing a detailed x-ray workup of that hip and it may be time to do that. He wanted him under anesthesia so they could get very fine images. We could also consider having his lipoma removed if he's going to be under already.

I absolutely love both the neurologist and the ortho surgeon. Just wish they didn't work at a clinic two hour's drive away. But better that than turning Jack over to someone I don't trust. They are very much-relationship-centered in their approach.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X