Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jack - Back in training

What I decided to do with Zac quite a while ago was to (most of the time) cease to focus on and reward behaviors (like sitting) which is what I'd tried at first (ie sitting as an alternative to jumping up as is usually recommended) but to train for attitude instead. I started out rewarding incrementally calmer and less full-on behavior and then shaped it til he could just "hang out" without having to mug me all the time. Most of the time around me now (and the two girls who've also followed my line) he acts almost sleepy and lethargic a lot of time, if nothing is arousing him and even then he returns to a quiet state very quickly as he knows this is how he gets my attention, treats, clicks etc. I can now rev him up with a game and then have him calm and dopey looking within minutes.

With my husband and the boys he isn't quite as good as they just don't seem to quite get it! They tend to respond to him running up to them wriggling and squirming and the next thing they know he's jumping on them. My husband has recently got a bit better but he does have trouble overcoming his natural tendency to just ignore the dog when he's being good and talk to him when he's a nuisance. He was like that with the kids when they were little too! Of the two boys the younger one (14) is a bit too short term in his focus and the older (19) is such a sentimental sook he feels sorry for the poor deprived doggy!!!

Cats are really easy to train - they are very materialistic and don't waste brain power wondering if you love them etc the way a dog does. When I was a child our cat was "trained" to leap around the kitchen from bench to bench like a circus lion before his dinner. He was part siamese and very human oriented so even though we didn't have a clue about training cats he had sort of got the idea of targeting more or less by accident and then we reinforced it with food. They also copy one another so once one has mastered a behavior you'll likely have the others wanting in on the action if the reward appeals to them. You can train just about anything that has a brain - even a very small brain (maybe the smaller the better!) I've trained our fish to color up and put on a display (usually a territorial behavior) to get fed - they learned that faster than I've ever seen anything learn anything!

Alison

Comment

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sharing your experiences with me Alison. Zac and Jack seem to have so much in common.

With the backyard, we tried making it fun for him to go out there and do calm things as a way of dealing with the Jack Russell terrier problem - alternate sits, etc.

Trouble is, when it was fun to go to the backyard, he wanted to go out fifty times a day and we couldn't tell which ones were because he needed to potty and which ones were just for fun. And he couldn't realistically go out fifty times a day!

So we started doing the backyard for potty only and now we haven't had any accidents in the house in many many months and he's able to "tell" us he needs to go. We lavish praise on him for pooping outside, which must sound pretty funny to the neighbors! "Oh, what a good boy... you pooped!!! Way to go Jack!!!" We were cracking up today how we go gaga praising him over things that most dogs just do without thinking about! LOL

Fortunately, he likes car rides so that's one way he can have fun without getting into trouble. And if we go on Fridays, when Jeff doesn't work, we can usually find a safe place for him to swim or hike. Today we went up into the Sierras to a reservoir that has a really nice sandy beach and there was almost no one there so he played in the water on his 30 foot lead. And chased a squirrel up a tree... I wasn't there to witness it but I understand he jumped quite a distance up the side of the tree after it.

I tend to think myself that Jack doesn't necessarily respond well to the alternate activities and does just need to be rewarded for being calm.

Natalie

Comment

Wow, it's been a long time since I updated about Jack!

We had two sessions with the behaviorist and then we took Jack back to her class for the winter quarter. Jack had a good time and even managed to successfully attend a field trip downtown with all of his classmates. He wasn't the least bit bothered by people or dogs. Overhangs and basement stairwells... those were a different matter. Very very scary! But he recovered quickly after we left those things behind so I knew he wasn't too stressed.

Day before yesterday my husband had just gotten home from work and we were standing behind the couch talking about his day. Jack had been wandering around the room with his plush frog, stalking it border collie style. And he was getting very frustrated that we weren't paying attention to him or throwing it.

So he picked up his toy, ran headlong for the couch and jumped up. Usually he would just turn around and jump back down but apparently he thought more drastic measures were needed. So instead of stopping he bound up to the back of the couch and launched himself in a graceful, desperate arc past our heads! LOL

Well, he certainly got our attention!

What a melodramatic ham he can be.

Natalie

Comment

I can just picture him launching from the couch...too funny!
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Note to self: Jack doesn't sleep well when surrounded by deer and rabbits.

We rented a cottage at the coast for Christmas Eve and Christmas night with Jack along. Jack has stayed in a hotel in Reno twice and did fine. Got to the cottage and all seemed good. We went over to the park visitor center and walked Jack around, came back and made some dinner, watched a movie...

Then we tried to go to bed. Nope, not happenin'. Jack paced... front door, back door, ticking clock, stove pipe, picture window, repeat repeat repeat. All with his nails clicking on the linoleum... got to trim those.

I stayed up for a while with him and he finally settled down some. So we went to bed at 12:30 and he slept until 4:00 but then was up pacing again. So I got up again (Jeff had gotten a flu bug before we left so I was letting him sleep off his Nyquil) and watched TV - whew, good thing we had cable available. He curled up and slept so at 6:00 I went back to bed and we slept until 10:00.

Best we can figure it was the critters outside. He wanted out constantly and as soon as he got out there, he'd be hyperalert watching and sniffing. At 4:00 we scattered something, possible deer, out from behind the apple tree.

So poor Jack just could not relax until he was so exhausted he couldn't keep his eyes open any more!

Christmas day we went to the beach, which was nice all but the half mile trail back when a bunch of off leash dogs got all over Jack and he had to snarf at one to get him to back off. But otherwise, the beach was great. Jack liked it a lot.

Then we went back, packed up, and drove him Christmas afternoon. I wasn't doing another night like that one!

And I was sick with the flu by the time we got home!

Aah, the holidays!

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Jack - no more cottages in the woods!

Well Nat, consider Jack's Christmas present to you the knowledge that spending a night or two in a cottage in the woods is not going to be tranquil and stress free. I am sure it was a great idea at the time.

Jenny

Comment

That sounded like such an idyllic Christmas...oh well! Maybe something on a beach next time??
                Jo-Ann

Comment

Gosh... so much has happened since I last wrote about Jack! This spring has been a blur for me.

Sometime in January, we started having problems with Jack's anxiety here at home. He was afraid of Jeff when Jeff had his keys and cell phone in his hand on the way out the door in the morning. He's not afraid of Jeff and he's not afraid of the keys or cell phone lying somewhere untouched. But he's afraid of men, including Jeff, who are holding something small like that in their hands. We can only guess that maybe his guy owner threw these kinds of things at him or hit him with them.

We talked with his behaviorist, Sophia Yin, and she felt it was time to try medication since even people Jack loves and trusts could scare him if they were holding scary objects.

So early in February Jack started taking Prozac, which in dogs is an anti-anxiety med rather than an anti-depressant.

And I think it's helped him significantly. He's afraid of fewer things and he recovers better and faster if something still scares him.

And we have been using his Manners Minder to give him treats while Jeff is getting his stuff together to head out the door in the morning so he looks forward to the keys and cell phone coming out.

Plus making much more effort to provide mental stimulation. We enrolled him in Sophia's winter Tricks class and have been training him to do all kinds of tricks. He can sit, lie down, lie on his side, touch, shake, high five, wave, circle around, do a leg weave front and back, knock a box over with his nose, push a box with his nose, step into and onto a box, reverse in sit position, put his paw up on pretty much anything, take his toys out of his box, put his toys back in his box... the big challenge is finding new things to teach him. And every night we play Hide and Seek with treats.

So far so good.

Monday I upped Jack's Prozac from 10mg once a day to 15mg once a day. Jack weighs 54 pounds, which is about 24.5 kgs and the dose is typically 0.5-1.0 mg/kg. So at 10mg Jack was on slightly less than the minimum. But when we had tried 10mg twice a day, he was a zombie.

So after several months at 10, I decided to try 15mg and see how that went.

So Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday when he was a bit sluggish, I chalked it up to the meds. Friday morning he was sluggish so I decided to go back to 10mg. Took him for a walk mid-day. By about 5pm he was obviously in pain. I had been keeping an eye on his back legs since Tuesday too as it seemed like he was holding one stiffly.

By Friday night (of course on a weekend), he was hunching his back and walking very stiffly. In obvious pain. All body functions normal so I waited until this morning and called the vet, who was open half a day today. Got him in at 9:30am.

Poor Mr. Jack has two bad discs at the thoracic/lumbar transition. One has a significant amount of calcification - really obvious on the x-ray. And the other probably will look similar soon and is the one she thinks is currently really hurting him. It was easy to know when she found the right spot as he winced and hunched his back when she touched it.

She says the discs aren't stable and that these episodes could come and go throughout his life. It's not something for surgery - just rest and pain meds until it settles down.

Because of a potential interaction between NSAIDS/Tramadol and Prozac, we are using low doses of the pain meds and keeping the Prozac at 10mg. I gave him 12.5mg of Tramadol about an hour and a half ago and then we have some Metacam to give all this week. I don't know if he's ever had either med, possibly from neutering procedure but otherwise I doubt it.

So even though he's only about 2.5 or 3 years old, he's got a bad back!

Poor guy was really hurting last night. He dragged himself out to potty and when he came back in he buried his head into my shoulder and about crawled into my lap.

Natalie

Comment

Oh, and last weekend we took a three day / two night trip to Carrizo Plain National Monument near Bakersfield. He stayed in two motels and did great!! Both had good potty spots. He never relaxed the entire time he was in the car but it didn't seem to bother him too much. So he travelled really really well - not at all like the coast cottage trip.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Jack has a couple of bad discs in his back!

Natalie - I just reviewed your thread since last June - had missed all those posts! Very interesting, and fun to read.

Sophia Yin is a very highly-respected, board-certified veterinary behaviorist, as YOU well know! She differs in some of what she does from what Turid Rugaas does and recommends. (haha! - we've chatted about that before!)

Doesn't matter; what really DOES matter, is that you and Jack (and Jeff) should all be happy - and WELL! And the cats, too!

I'm really sorry about Jack's Bad Back. Bad luck there. Will require some rest, obviously. I'm wishing you and Jack a ton of good luck with that! It's good Jack likes mental-work, as most dogs do - that can tire them, often, even more than physical exercise does. Nose-work of any sort is great, too!

Hoping Jack feels better very, very soon.

Hugs,
                      Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:39:14 (PDT)
                      http://www.coherentdog.org/
                      CarolW

Comment

Natalie,
                        I could never get Ali to put her toys back in the box! She will pick up socks that I drop out of the drier though I bet Jack has loved all the training.

Glad to hear about the progress but sorry to hear about his back.
                        Poor guy was really hurting last night. He dragged himself out to potty and when he came back in he buried his head into my shoulder and about crawled into my lap.
                        Awe, that's quite a sweet but sad picture. I hope he feels better real soon!

Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Poor Jack. Its always something. I met a dog at animal diagnostics who couldn't get up one morning, a 4 year old weinmaramer (spelling) . He needed 2 discs removed/replaced and 5 days after the surgery, she couldn't keep him still in the office. Its amazing what they can do to help our pups. I'm glad Jack did well on your trip after his last endeavour Natalie.
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Patty, Jack really doesn't want to put his toys back into his box but will do it if I insist! But he LOVES to toss them out of the box.

I like that Ali will do something useful! Sophia Yin taught her Jack Russell Jonesy to bring her a kleenex when she sneezes - really cute! She has a great video of it:
                            http://www.askdryin.com/player.php?m...&wi=480&hi=380

Ironically, on Monday I donated our dog ramp to the local SPCA thrift store cuz we figured it would be at least 10 years before we might ever need it again and hoped to never need it again. And then I had to lift him out of the car...

I might have to go buy it back!

Natalie

Comment

With Jack's fear of mobile phones in the hands of men particularly, I wonder if someone hasn't used a shock collar on him. If you look up "shock collar" on Google Images the bit the human holds looks awfully like a mobile phone....

Alison

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                                Patty, Jack really doesn't want to put his toys back into his box but will do it if I insist! But he LOVES to toss them out of the box.

I like that Ali will do something useful! Sophia Yin taught her Jack Russell Jonesy to bring her a kleenex when she sneezes
                                Natalie,
                                Oh my goodness...she stole our trick! That's too funny. I had Ali in training when we were up in Maine. One of the assignments was to come to class the last day having taught your dog a trick and they would give out prizes. Well I'd gotten a horrible cold and had a box of Kleenexes across the room. I was so miserable I was wishing Ali could bring me one, so I used clicker training to teach her to bring me a kleenex when I sneezed. She won a prize out of the ordeal.

I also taught her to pull a dollar bill out of my back pocket when I ask her if she wants to go shopping. My dad says she makes a cute pick pocket.

Because of my job I thought it'd be neat to train her to do some of the things an assistance dog would do. So I bought a Train your own assistance dog DVD. I should send it to you for fun with Jack when he's feeling better. We only got part way through it.

I hope your ramp's still there if you decide to go back for it!

Alison, that's a very interesting and insightful theory. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Take care,
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X