• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack - new to my house

Jenny!! LOL

Comment

I bought a doggy door bell when Lex and Liv were pups but they weren't smart enough (or maybe it was me not smart enough) to get them to use it. I'd be happy to send it to you! It's like a wireless door bell, the part that hey are supposed to lear to step on looks like a big paw and you can set it to ring or bark. Let me know! It's not doing me any good!

My sister did the bells on the door knob.
      Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
      Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Hey Denise,

I'd love to try your doggie doorbell. Let me know if you want me to reimburse you for it.

We did well at obedience class. Sitting was easy because Jack sat whether I asked him to or not! The hard ones for him will be "Attention" and polite leash walking. The other stuff I think he'll breeze through. He already knows Down, Sit, Wait, Leave It... performance isn't entirely consistent yet but he understands what he's *supposed to do.

I think actually I'm going to bring less exciting treats to the next class. He's pretty motivated anyway and if the treats are too exciting he can't think of anything else.

We are getting the hang of his bathroom habits too. No accidents recently. I restrict him to a small enough part of the house that he can't go far enough away to sneak off and relieve himself while inside.

All in all, with less rain, things are going well.

Comment

Sounds like he's gonna be great, glad things are going well
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Accckkk! I'm sorry I didn't check back so didn't see you wwanted to try the doorbell. I will try and get it in the mail today, Monday at the latest!

Denise
            Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
            Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

So how is Jack these days? Does he get some Thanksgiving Dinner?
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Natalie,
                HAppy Thanksgiving Am having problems with 2 of my dogs chasing Cleo and Sabrina THey don't chase Yoda the 3 rd cat though. One of my clients take their dog to a trainer. He said to fill a spray bottle of water and Jasmine and when the digs go near the cat you tell them No. He says you should not praise if they listen as this is behavior that is unacceptable.I went to Wally Mart yesterday and bought 3 bottles One in each room I filled with just water She said maybe add a tab bit of vinegar if you don't have jasmine. THey may smell like a salad but oh well So I tried it out with just water Harley the lab pitt went on the chase I squirted I think he was more shocked He did listen I am a bit confused as to why you wouldn't praise. What would the dog whisperer do?
                Anyway just a suggestion.
                Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

We had a nice quiet Thanksgiving. No turkey but Jack shared our homemade Mac n Cheese - it's an unusual recipe with a sauce that's more cream than cheese, chunks of cheese blended in, and a little dijon mustard... really yummy!

And of course Jack had a little, as well as a little whipped cream that went with our pie.

We have been taking him to the river and for hammies... sometimes it's hard cuz we miss Chris so much. But Jack is loving it and he gets a chance to run. We have a 30 foot lead we put him on so he can explore without wandering too far.

And he and Gus actually shared the living room for a while today with no barriers between them. This morning, Jack went out to the chair where Gus was napping and touched him on the nose. I think Gus was too startled and yet only half awake to react but it was good for both of them to see they could get along. Katie's resisting but Jack is getting much better at ignoring the hissing and spitting she throws at him through the gate. Now, he's directing his energy to the Jack Russell terriers next door and going absolutely berserk if they let out so much as a peep. He's starting to think I'm a real party pooper!!

We taught him to "say please" which is touching a sticky note on the patio door with his nose. As soon as he does that, we tell him to "go potty" and let him out. He's starting to get that he can ask to go out by touching the sticky note... now, whether it's cuz he has to potty - well, that's another question!

He learns SO fast. Teaching him to "say please" took about 6 repetitions.

Tried to bath him today... NO WAY! I suspect the previous owner threw him in the tub after leaving him for hours in the kitchen to poop and pee on the linoleum. He was so anxious and scared that we "reduced" to a sponge bath! Hopefully eventually he will trust us enough for a real bath. His fur is very water repellent so he doesn't need a lot of water to clean up.

Hope you ALL had a lovely Thanksgiving and have a great weekend. We are really enjoying the time to relax.

Natalie

Comment

Sounds like they are all getting the hang of living together. Happy late thanksgiving.

Comment

Well, yesterday Gus and Jack shared a room but Jack got very excited about something or other, like dogs barking next door, and when he did he forgot about avoiding Gus and they had a little spat.

Nothing serious fortunately.

Afterward, Jack looked like a duck... you know how their feathers get pulled up and stick out funny? Well, he had these tiny little feathery things sticking out of his nose. I thought it was fur at first. But when I finally got a closer look at Mr. Wiggly's nose, I recognized the unmistakable arc of a cat claw. A very thin piece of Gus' claw was embedded in Jack's nose by the sharp end!!!

Even worse, the same scenario was repeated later in the day and I found another one embedded in his forehead?!?!?!?

I must say Jack wasn't terribly bothered by it. But Gus went back in his cage for the rest of the day!

This morning, he, on his own, asked to go out by touching the sticky note on the patio door and when I dutifully let him out, thinking it was all a ploy, he went straight over and pooped. Sob... I'm so proud of my boy!

Natalie

Comment

Accckkk! I'm sorry I didn't check back so didn't see you wwanted to try the doorbell. I will try and get it in the mail today, Monday at the latest!

Denise
                        LOL - not to worry! I wasn't stomping my foot with impatience! Nice to see you here - how's things with your clan?

Natalie

Comment

LOL, the cat, I have a stray cat now she lives outside somewhere,, where she comes from I don't know, but I feed her every sundown and she is there, she is not human friendly, maybe by spring she'll trust me, I made a house for her on the porch and put little treats in it hoping the cat would go in it for shelter, I am not familair with cats, but this poor thing is hungry and her front paw goes backwards, but as time went on she seems to use it better to stand up on it when she is eating. I just hope to be able to get close to him/her.

Comment

Hi Dolly,

That's sweet of you to take care of this kitty. The ones who live on their own can be pretty cagey but she will no doubt trust you more and more as time goes on and the food supply keeps coming!

Natalie

Comment

Jack has officially graduated from Basic Obedience - including a little party at the end of the last class, complete with a gift (a rope/tennis ball tug toy) and treats. I absolutely LOVED the trainer in this class. She took such genuine delight in the dogs.

We had graduation on our minds as my stepdaughter is walking in commencement next week for her master's degree so I made Jack a mini mortarboard! LOL

He was so absorbed by all the goings on in class that he even let me put it on him and left it on his head! The trainers were cracking up. I used a catnip mouse for the tassle! Heh... it was pretty cute on him. I only have one halfway decent picture cuz at home he's too fidgety to leave it on.

We have made a little progress teaching Jack Pattycake, but he hates doing it! Not sure if I will torture him by continuing! He can do two pattycakes in a row before getting too frustrated!

We are discovering that he really likes riding around in the car. He still needs some physical exercise every day but the brain exercise of riding around watching everything around him has been really good for him. We also got a season pass to the parks that include the river and have taken him there three or four times already. There are about a billion squirrels there so he gets very excited to go there. They are so used to people and dogs that they don't run until we are quite close to them. And Jack will forever need a leash there!

Still waiting, rather impatiently, for the DNA results. It should be this month and I'm dyin' to know the answer!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                                We had graduation on our minds as my stepdaughter is walking in commencement next week for her master's degree so I made Jack a mini mortarboard! LOL

He was so absorbed by all the goings on in class that he even let me put it on him and left it on his head! The trainers were cracking up. I used a catnip mouse for the tassle! Heh... it was pretty cute on him. I only have one halfway decent picture cuz at home he's too fidgety to leave it on.
                                So? Where's the picture? I wanna see that picture!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X