Adequanfor arthritis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adequanfor arthritis?

Have any of you tried Adequan for arthritis? From what I'm reading it sure appears to help, but I'm always leery of change.

Thanks !
    Laura
    Last edited by Charlie's mom; 10-27-2015, 06:54 PM. Reason: Darn spellcheck
    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Re: Adequate for arthritis?

Many years ago we used it extensively with our race horses, when it first came on the market, it was injected directly into the affected joint. When they started using it as a systemic injection it was quite successful with little side effects. I have not used it for dogs.

I have used CARTROPHEN, that is not the nsaid. It is a systemic injection that also helps to regenerate cartilage. I have used it for several pugs, with good success. You inject it once a wk for 3-4 wks, then once a month as needed. It also works for interstitial cystitis, which is what it was developed for in humans. The arthritis use is really an off label use, but many vets use it for that.

Comment

Re: Adequan for arthritis?

Thanks Joan!
      Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Re: Adequate for arthritis?

I tried it several years ago for my JRT Brutus. He had hip dysplasia and arthritis and was on Deramaxx, Amantadine, Glucosamine chews and sometimes added Tramadol. I did not notice much of a difference when I tried the Adequan on him, but it didn't hurt him either. He was not diabetic. I have read so many good things about Adequan, so it may work well for your dog.

One thing I did try on him that I really noticed a difference was....
        Bell Shark Cartilage Joint Relief. I sprinkled half a capsule on his food (2 meals daily). After about 3 days I noticed him feeling so much better.
        He was feeling so good that I started worrying that he would hurt himself running around. Brutus was not diabetic, so I don't know if this would work for you.

Carol

Comment

Re: Adequanfor arthritis?

Thanks Carol, glad to see you back on the forum

Comment

Re: Adequanfor arthritis?

Originally posted by Charlie's mom View Post
            Have any of you tried Adequan for arthritis? From what I'm reading it sure appears to help, but I'm always leery of change.

Thanks !
            Laura

Just recently I read that turmeric can help with arthritis, as it reduces inflammation. It also can be used on dogs, but of course I am not sure what the dose would be. It would probably be more beneficial in a powder form for that reason.

I never used it on Abby, but bought a bottle for my husband.

Barb
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
            X