Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newly diagnosed

    Newbie here!

    My dog 35# beagle hound mix newly diagnosed. Dr. Started at 5 iu bid and has freestyle libre on for a few days and it fell off. Readings 200-500. Put a second and third libre on for just a couple of days as he was boarded at the vet. Moved him to 7 iu in the am and said he dropped too low?? He just Did a 24 hr glucose curve and showed 250-500 yet again? He has been on novilin n for about 6 weeks and now Dr. is telling me he is not responding to novalin n vs. escalating the dose and thinking of switching to lantus with increased cost. Iím seeing many post of lower weight dogs on much higher Iu of insulin, wondering if he needs 7 + iuís as she never game me his ďlowĒ readings and she questioned if the freestyle libre was worrking correctly. Not getting much direction from the vet and i purchased glucometer and test strips to start tracking bs. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Re: Newly diagnosed

    Hi and welcome . If the numbers are correct a 300 point swing in blood sugar is fairly substantial so something is out of balance . It could be as simple as the dose being to much causing instability and lowering the dose may be helpful but any dose adjustment usually needs a week to settle and the body adapt . Bouncing around with a dose is counter productive. An imbalance between food and insulin can cause problems also

    Lantus hasn't been a very productive insulin for dogs . The 2 that have had the best results is nph and vetsulin

    You can do your own complete curves and based on the lowest number within that curve is how you determine dose adjustments up or down . Also as I suggested unstable sugar could need a dose adjustments lower

    It took 6 months to get my jesse fairly stable and a year to be completely satisfied withe her routine . She lived withe the disease for 11 years and lived a normal happy dogs life withe some limitations

    Its not complicated . You follow the simple protocols and stick to them . Having blood sugar from 100 to 250 is very good and you would like the swings under 200 but some dogs never get sugar that good and do fine . As long as they are not symptomatic they are probably fine

    My attitude with jesse was to be the expert of her diabetes and I felt I accomplished that and I never discussed her diabetes with her vet after I felt there was nothing to gain from that as they could not put that kind of time to figuring out what was needed

    It about being a detective and figuring out what works and doesnt

    Most caretakers do get to regulation that is appropriate for their dog which can be very different from dog to dog
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Newly diagnosed

      Thank you for the quick reply and advice!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Newly diagnosed

        good for you getting the handheld glucose meter. your all set to do a curve and take more control of your dogs diabetes.

        lease post what food hes eating and how much thanks?

        the sensor freestyle libre is NOT reliable. it reads too high and too low. its not accurate and in my opinion should never ever be used solely for diabetic dogs.

        theres lots of info here on starting out your journey testing , doing curves.

        a curve is testing blood sugar every 2 hours starting at fasting for a 12 hour period.

        goodluck were here to help you!
        Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 08-20-2021, 04:52 PM.
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Newly diagnosed

          Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
          good for you getting the handheld glucose meter. your all set to do a curve and take more control of your dogs diabetes.

          lease post what food hes eating and how much thanks?

          the sensor freestyle libre is NOT reliable. it reads too high and too low. its not accurate and in my opinion should never ever be used solely for diabetic dogs.

          theres lots of info here on starting out your journey testing , doing curves.

          a curve is testing blood sugar every 2 hours starting at fasting for a 12 hour period.

          goodluck were here to help you!


          Andy is 33# given 1 cup 7 am and another 1 cup 6:00 nutra chicken, Vet started off at 5 iu novalin n bid, moved him to 6 and sugars did not move, i suggested going to 7 and she said that was too much and the readings on the libre were low. I moved him to 7 iu bid and his sugars are 348,320 and a low of 220. Question can you move to 8 iu next week as he was on 7 iu for a week is doing better and acting more normal. I am testing 2-3 times a day with rely on meter and strips and his bloods are 340-225 depending on the time. The vet is telling me he is not responding to novalin n and wants to go to vetsulin?? I dont think the insulin dose are high enough, heís been diagnosed fir about 6 weeks now, is that enough time to achieve the proper insulin dose?? Quite honestly the vet is not much help and wants an insulin change, not looking forward to starting over. Ií m planning on going to 8 iu this weekend and monitor him! Any risk to go to 8 iu and see what it does for him?? Thanks for all the help!! I learned more on here than any vet

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Newly diagnosed

            how much is his amount of food according to his 33 lbs of Nutra chicken?

            he might just need a food amount tweek.

            you need to feed and inject every 12 hours for regulation.. your feeding every 11 hours. feed 7 and 7 or 6 and 6 okay!!!!

            the starting dose for 33 lb is 8.25. he did go low on 7 at one point. the sensors arent that reliable. i.d like you to share and post your curve with the alphatrack meter please

            going up .5 to 7 1/2 will lower by approx 50 lowering his 220 below 200 alittle risky.

            going up to 8 will lower by 100 so that 220 is now 120..

            test test test especially after eats and before you inject insulin. if he is lower than 200 after eating wait , keep testing inject only when hes over 200.

            please post some curves and amount of food thefeed guide says for a 33 lb dog
            Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 08-24-2021, 02:52 PM.
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Newly diagnosed

              i would suggest you feed every 12 hours instead of 11 hours for one week.

              food and insulin need to meet up and i dont think they are because your feeding every 11 hours.

              then do a curve with the handheld meter alphatrack and post it here plesse

              theres not enough data given till we see a true curve
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Newly diagnosed

                Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                how much is his amount of food according to his 33 lbs of Nutra chicken?

                he might just need a food amount tweek.

                you need to feed and inject every 12 hours for regulation.. your feeding every 11 hours. feed 7 and 7 or 6 and 6 okay!!!!

                the starting dose for 33 lb is 8.25. he did go low on 7 at one point. the sensors arent that reliable. i.d like you to share and post your curve with the alphatrack meter please

                going up .5 to 7 1/2 will lower by approx 50 lowering his 220 below 200 alittle risky.


                going up to 8 will lower by 100 so that 220 is now 120..

                test test test especially after eats and before you inject insulin. if he is lower than 200 after eating wait , keep testing inject only when hes over 200.

                please post some curves and amount of food thefeed guide says for a 33 lb dog
                Wow! Thanks for the response!! Im trying to get feeding as close to 12 hrs as i can as he is crazy to eat 1 hr before he is supposed to!! I donít know if i can reduce his food any more as he lost some weight iver the past month; possible food change?? The Vet said 7 dropped him low but that was the Libre which she questioned was working, and then in the same breath said he may not be responding to the Novalin n?? At 7 iu i am seeing a drop but just have been testing for less than a week whenI can get blood! Big thing is iím seeing a big change in his personality and energy. I plan on doing the full glucose curve this weekend. Again thanks for all the advice, glad I found this site!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Newly diagnosed

                  he could be dropping with the 11 hours. please 12 hours food and insulin. its dangerous to increase the insulin with this low happening.

                  you dont need to change anything else. include everything in the curve on the wkend and good luck!!!!!
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Newly diagnosed

                    Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                    he could be dropping with the 11 hours. please 12 hours food and insulin. its dangerous to increase the insulin with this low happening.

                    you dont need to change anything else. include everything in the curve on the wkend and good luck!!!!!
                    33 lb beagle mutt 8yr male
                    3/4cup 2x day Nutrasource chix rice
                    Diagnosed 7 weeks ago vet started on 5 iu novolin n
                    BG curve currently 8 iu after meals 12 hrs apart

                    6:30 am 317 Fasting wake up
                    8:30 am 311
                    10:30 am 314
                    12:30 pm 280
                    2:30 pm 326 ( small piece of chicken)
                    4:30 pm 290
                    6:30 pm 285 Before dinner

                    Iím seeing movement in bg but I still feel we are not
                    At insulin levels to drop bg into control?? Thanks in advance
                    For reviewing and any offers of advice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Newly diagnosed

                      nice looking curve, congrats!

                      when did you raise the insulin to 8?

                      i would certainly wait, do another curve in 7 days.. without any changes
                      and let your vet know these results.
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Newly diagnosed

                        Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                        nice looking curve, congrats!

                        when did you raise the insulin to 8?

                        i would certainly wait, do another curve in 7 days.. without any changes
                        and let your vet know these results.
                        I raised him to 8 for about 4 days now. Big symptom and personality changes! That was my plan to do another next week. Again thank you for your help and advice! Alot to digest here, its appreciated

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Newly diagnosed

                          its recommended to do a curve then make changes only to the lowest number.

                          No treats
                          chicken raises blood sugar!!

                          you.ve raised the insulin to 8 without acurve. then did a curve after only 3 or 4 days making this curve Not true.

                          keep testing he.s dropping. please have some syrup on hand.

                          test after food before you inject insulin to avoid hypoglycemia!!!!
                          Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 08-29-2021, 12:34 PM.
                          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Newly diagnosed

                            forgot to ask

                            what syringes are you using?

                            do the have 1/2 unit?!
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Newly diagnosed

                              Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                              forgot to ask

                              what syringes are you using?

                              do the have 1/2 unit?!
                              Yes, using the syringes with1/2 unit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X