Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

jim maceri 12-02-2011 09:43 AM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Yes, I read Natalie's history of her dog. I am just doing so much testing right now and the days can be so different in readings. Again, I am VERY pleased with the numbers overall but just when I think I can take a day off from doing curves...which has been daily....he throws me one of these low numbers and then I am paranoid about doing anything with regard to exercise with him. I want him to be a dog and he so enjoys the walks. It is the highlight of his day and I feel terrible making him walk around the yard instead of going to the park. I'll get over it, I'm just venting!! :mad:

Judi 12-02-2011 09:45 AM

Jim maybe you should talk to your vet about lowering his dose some more so you have some wiggle room. you are doing such a fantastic job but you, Spirit and MJ all deserve to relax a little bit!

Judi

SandyL 12-02-2011 09:55 AM

Vent away Jim.... We've all done it!! :). I agree, breath and take jessegirl's advice and just go down the 2 units.... That will give you some breathing room and cut back on all this testing. Let him ride with that 2u decrease for a few days or even a week.... Better a little high than low... It won't hurt him and you 2 can relax, compose and work SLOWLY up if you need to after that

When we try to chase the number, like your doing, it gets totally frustrating to the point where you don't know if you're coming or going. Take your time and it will all fall into place!!

Sandy

jim maceri 12-02-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 62741)
Jim maybe you should talk to your vet about lowering his dose some more so you have some wiggle room. you are doing such a fantastic job but you, Spirit and MJ all deserve to relax a little bit!

Judi

I've spoke with the vet yesterday and he wanted me to drop one unit to 13 and hold there....I really trust him but in this instance, living with it everyday and testing like crazy, I just think one unit was not enough so I dropped 2. Sometimes I think vets are looking at charts, weights ect...and not really considering how very different each dog is. This is the first time I didn't take his advice so I guess I'll see how my instincts are with the 12 units and delaying the food to give it a head start.

Patty 12-02-2011 10:23 AM

I think the delay is a good idea to let his food get a head start, but you may still need to reduce further.

Without the delay, I'd reduce 2 units to 10u.

farrwf 12-02-2011 12:27 PM

I imagine it will keep you on your toes as long as the honeymoon lasts!

Don't see how anything will be stable until that's done with. Would be nice if you could plan on how much insulin he'll be producing from day to day but, ... it don't work like that.

Great that you're able to monitor him as closely as you do.

jim maceri 12-02-2011 01:01 PM

My vet just called me after my morning email...he liked my idea of delaying the shot by a half hour to let the food get a head start.

Instead of checking his BG before the meal, I'm going to wait and test him a half hour after the meal. If the BG is 150 or higher I will continue to give him the 12 units. If it is near the normal range 130 or below he want me to drop down to 8 units.

If a half hour didn't do it then he suggested to try 45 minutes after the meal in the morning, and I could go all the way to an hour after he eats. We both feel the insulin is hitting him before the food and thus the one low number a couple of hours after eating. I'll let you know how the delayed shot works tomorrow. Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will do his 3:15 reading so I will have another curve.

jesse girl 12-02-2011 01:18 PM

sounds like a good common sense approach

jim maceri 12-02-2011 04:33 PM

Interesting......well, I fed him and checked him 30 minutes after eating and the reading was 108. Decided to wait another 15 minutes, tested again and it was 148, THAT'S what I wanted to see. Kept the dose at 12u knowing that the insulin usually takes about an 1 - 1.5 hours to hit so his BG should be even higher by then. Since I've done curves for the last 5 days I have a lot of data to look at but this might just be the answer I've been looking for. Does anyone else wait 30-45 minutes after eating to give a shot?

Historically, the vet started him on 20 units, then down to 15 units to 14 to 13 and now at 12. Since we are in for the night, I'm giving the big guy no more tests today. He has been so sweet wagging his tail when I approach with the meter even after I poked him 8 times today. Boy did I get lucky to have a boy so tolerant of my craziness....I swear he knows I'm doing this for his own good.

Patty 12-02-2011 06:25 PM

The standard approach to dogs that may not keep their meal down is to wait 30 minutes before injecting. I know Carol did this automatically with her throughout her dog's life. It is a good tool to prevent an early drop in some dogs.

Hope you have a relaxing night :)