Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

Shellie 12-29-2011 11:02 PM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Aw...you're a show off! LOL Love those numbers! Keep up the good work! YOU are doing such a great job and should be SO proud of yourself! :) Hugs!

bowens2 12-30-2011 06:34 AM

:) :) :) :)

jim maceri 12-31-2011 08:51 AM

Quick question...if spirits allergies (grass/pollen) flair up is it ok to give benadryle? The vet said ok but that was before he was diagnosed wit diabetes. Any effect on insulin? Thanks

farrwf 12-31-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim maceri (Post 64944)
Quick question...if spirits allergies (grass/pollen) flair up is it ok to give benadryle? The vet said ok but that was before he was diagnosed wit diabetes. Any effect on insulin? Thanks

A lot of members use it for the pups. I alternate benadryl with clortabs. I've never noticed any impact on b/g.

About 1 mg / lb is the reco dosage. I just give the O one tab.

However ... for larger dogs http://www.benadrylfordogs.org/diphe..._for_dogs.html

MaryLea 12-31-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim maceri (Post 64944)

Don't know if this caution is needed, but we did not find a vet who said it until after Ruffles was dx with diabetes! (In fact, the first vet said use children's Benedryl. The choices there are either loaded with sugar or have a sugar substitute which is not good for dogs. :eek:) Use Benedryl tabs! I'm sure the vet also told you the dose (which is admittedly higher than for humans).

Jim, you are doing a fab job with and for Spirit! ;)

Mary

Patty 12-31-2011 11:50 AM

I use Benadryl with Ali as well. As Bill said, 1mg per pound of dog is the dosage guideline. I usually start with 25mg with Ali and increase to 50mg if she needs it. The Benadryl doesn't affect her bg but if she's really itchy the allergy/inflammatory process can raise her bgs.

The clear gel caps have sorbitol in them. Sorbitol can accumulate in the eyes contributing to cataracts, so I've steered clear of them as a precaution. Use the pink Ultratabs instead.

Hope you won't need them!

Abby's Mom 12-31-2011 12:02 PM

I can not comment on the allergies.....but I did want to say that they are beautiful numbers. Great job with Spirit!!

jim maceri 12-31-2011 07:36 PM

Happy New Year to all......We keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Here is to a good year to all of us and our furry friends!

Jim/MJ/Spirit....:)

Shellie 01-01-2012 01:38 AM

Thanks, Jim/MJ/Spirit! Happy New Year to you, too! :) Now that 2011 is behind us...we WILL have a great new year! Yay! :)

jim maceri 01-05-2012 09:06 AM

Hello all,

Got a little time today and wanted to just give you all an update. Spirit is doing very very well. All of his numbers over the last 2 weeks are between 100-200 at testing and only twice did he go over 200 (237) at his morning fast and evening fast test. On those days I gave him a little extra snacks after we did the dog park. He had a bit of "red eye" because of the red tide here in Naples on the first 2 days but the benadryle did just fine in helping. Only gave it for 2 days and now he is fine since the weather got cooler.

This is the last weekend in Naples and then on to the keys for a week. In 2 weeks we will be in St. Augustine where the highs have been in the high 60's and low 70's with evening temps in the 50's.....he will love that weather!

I've been able to stay on spirit's schedule and I truly believe the absolute consistency in diet, walks and insulin are keeping him regulated for now. He is still getting 12 units in the morning and between 12-12.25 units at night. Water consumption is good, he's eating well and getting plenty of exercise.

Whenever I am at a wifi spot I always check in and will continue to see how everyone is doing.....we miss you but not the freezing weather.