Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

bowens2 01-23-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Oh I am so envious! Sounds great!

Abby's Mom 01-24-2012 07:36 AM

Very nice regulation... it makes vacationing that much more relaxing when things are going smoothly.

Good job.

Shellie 01-24-2012 11:46 PM

Jim....we may have cheered you on but you did all the work! You've done such a fantastic job with Spirit! It's amazing! Pat yourself on the back, would you? :)

Am glad you're able to relax now so have fun in the sun! Hugs!

jim maceri 01-29-2012 02:53 PM

Quick curve question.... I did a curve on spirit today to see if the lowered dose is working. When you do a curve do you keep the routine the same?

Today's curve:

6a. 191
8a. 204
10. 116 (walk)
12. 169
2. 101(walk)
4 145 (short stroll)
6. 120

It still seems to take just about 2 hours for the insulin to work and after 6-7 hours he starts to rise. This is a typical day but should I see what a curve would look like with no walks? I assume it would stay much higher with no walks. The low readings are of course after walks.

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 01-29-2012 03:34 PM

Can you feel the jealousy coming from South Carolina? :D

Those are beautiful numbers.

You should try to keep his day "normal" when doing a curve - so if walks are normal, then do it. For us, walks are sporadic - whenever we can fit them in (and if their bg's allow it).

Great great great job with Spirit - those numbers are truly awesome!!!

jesse girl 01-29-2012 04:15 PM

everything you talk about is typical for my jesse insulin starts at 1.5 hours the drop ends at about 6 hours and begins to rise

interesting on the thought process of what numbers would look like if there was no walks and it might be worth exploring my thought numbers might be higher as you said but i think they would be flatter

its great you give spirit that kind of enjoyment it is not an easy thing to do for a diabetic dog i built jesses routine around exercise which was probably a more difficult road but i looked at it as a quality of life issue

i agree with tami great numbers

Patty 01-29-2012 04:21 PM

I agree with Tami and Jesse girl in keeping your day the same.

One reason you might do a curve without your typical walks might be if you were wanting to change the timing of them and know when insulin is most active/least active.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing!

jim maceri 02-11-2012 06:47 AM

I decided to check spirits urine this morning and was surprised to see a reading of 500. Question: yesterday during the day his BG readings where..

Fasting. 139
10 a. 126
1 p. 102
4p. 157

Gave him 12 units@ 5

Could the urine test been a residual effect from 2 days ago when he ran some higher numbers? I thought it was from the previous 8 hours or did :confused:it mean he just ran high overnight?

This morning his fasting # was 207, we took a walk after the meal and it went right down to153! In the last 5 days I,ve only had 2 fasting readings over 200...

227 / 4 days ago and 207 this morning. Just curious because this was the first time in 3 months that he was positive on the test strip.:confused:

Patty 02-11-2012 07:22 AM

Likely he rose above the urine threshold at some point which varies for each dog but is around 180mg/dL.

Typically the urine that's tested is a reflection from the last time they voided. So first urine in the morning has been sitting in the bladder all night.

Still very good numbers.

farrwf 02-11-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim maceri (Post 67802)
I decided to check spirits urine this morning and was surprised to see a reading of 500.

Could the urine test been a residual effect from 2 days ago when he ran some higher numbers?

• I always wait till Otis has taken a couple of leaks before I test his urine. As Patty said ... that morning batch has been accumulating in his bladder all night.
  • The 500 you see on the urine dipstick bears no direct relationship to a 500 BG level. About the most you can surmise from that test is his BG was over ~180 for a while. It's my understanding you cannot tie a urine test number to a specific BG level. They're different creatures, although you can see if it's "way over" or just a bit and then the length of time would enter the equation too.