Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

jim maceri 02-14-2012 06:18 AM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

For the first time since being diagnosed, spirit had very soft stools this morning almost like diahrea. He had an urgency to go out twice this morning. I already gave him his shot at 12 units after he ate a full breakfast.

He also had a very low reading 2.5 hours after insulin of 78. I'm keeping a close eye on him and other than that he seems normal, wagging his tail, not lethargic ect... I know diahrea can cause low readings so if it continues I will cut the dose for dinner but it is only 8 am and that is a long way off.

Any suggestions?

jim maceri 02-14-2012 06:34 AM

O
45 min after his reading of 78 he is at 157 (8:30 a). That is also a strange reading for him at this time. Oh boy, gonna be one of those days. Marijane will be thrilled because it is valentines day.

jesse girl 02-14-2012 07:18 AM

upset belly's can upset the whole process

jesse had that a few months ago lasted a couple days

Patty 02-14-2012 07:22 AM

I hope it's just a fleeting thing Jim. Of course these things happen on special days :rolleyes:.

Plain pumpkin puree (like the Libby's canned 100% pumpkin) has been known to help some dogs. Just a tablespoon or so.

Even some plain low fat yogurt might help restore gut health.

jim maceri 02-14-2012 09:12 AM

I did call the vet this morning and he said to keep an eye on it today and if it continues on Wednesday to take a stool samPle to the vet here and they should give him something for the diahrea. As long as he eats normal keep the insulin the same.

jim maceri 02-14-2012 01:59 PM

After the morning bout with diahrea he has not gone poop again and his numbers where back in his normal range. Poor guy, I've poked him enough to do a full curve. It is almost dinner time so we'll see how that goes. If he eats it all I plan on giving him his normal dOSS as the vet suggested.

Shellie 02-14-2012 06:10 PM

I know that every now and again Hank will do that. I think they get yucky days just like we do. Of course, most of the time we can blame it on (insert horrible food item here) and that makes it easier to figure out. So hopefully he's just having one of those! Hugs!

MaryLea 02-14-2012 06:16 PM

That would happen to Ruffles when she ate something outside that she should not have. :eek: Usually didn't last long, though.

Mary

jim maceri 02-19-2012 03:19 PM

I wanted to post this finding on spirits thread. As I mentioned on Quinn's thread, I've discovered that brushing spirit for 10-20 min. can actually drop his BG. I've done a few pre brush/post brush tests and though it is not alot it did come down 20/30 points on my 2 tests. I did a little research and found others that massage their dogs and get a reduction. I'm guessing enhanced circulation. Yesterday I didn't feel like walking in the pouring rain so we sat by the TV and did a little grooming. 20 min later he dropped 30 points. Don't know if this is just a 'fluke' but I did like the fact that he dropped. Wonder if he is just playing me so he can be (even more) spoiled...LOL

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 02-19-2012 04:56 PM

hi Jim,

This happens to Soaphie has well - we typically do her grooming outside so for her it could be a combination of being outside + brushing. Sydney - well, she really doesn't think her beautiful coat needs to be groomed so in order to brush her, it takes two of us... :(