Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

Patty 02-19-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

I think your logic is sound, Jim. This has happened to Ali as well.

jim maceri 03-02-2012 02:43 PM

Hi all,

We made it home safely (and just in time for a big snowstorm). I decided to do a curve for Spirit today after all the excitement yesterday of being home and several very long travel days with little exercise for the big guy. When we travel (drive days) I only do two BG tests during the day, one at fasting in the morning and one in the evening before dinner and shot. I've noticed that Spirits fasting numbers have been a bit elevated for him over the last week but I kept the dose the same and increased his exercise during the day. Here is today's curve....

5:00a-214
8:00-206 (10 minute walk after test)
10-157
12-115 (after 11:00 walk, 20 min.)
2:00-145
4:00p-195 (short walk after test and before feeding)

Feed at 4:30 & Shot

I've been keeping his morning shot at 12 units and the evening shot with a reading like today at 12.5 units because he gets much less activity after dinner. Usually I can only convince him to take one short walk before he starts to snooze at night. I'm considering going up to 13 units in the evening because the days of numbers under 200 at the morning fast are long gone. He has been averaging between 200-236 in the morning which is fine because of his reaction to exercise during the day. Thoughts?? Also, at what point do you reduce the dose....for example if I do get a fasting number near 100-130, which only happens when he's had a lot of activity in the day do you and by how much reduce the insulin?

Anyway, its nice to be back even if it is snowing right now. I look forward to catching up on everyones threads between preparing for taxes and getting the motel open. BTW, if any of you are in Northeast Michigan spend a night at my little lakefront motel...of course I have several "pet friendly" rooms and Spirit loves visitors. :D

Shellie 03-02-2012 10:00 PM

So glad to see you made it back, Jim! And Marijane and Spirit, too! Have to say...you are a tease with those beautiful numbers that Spirit has! You're an amazing diabetes dad! Want to borrow Hank for a few weeks to get his little bum straightened out? LOL :D

Patty 03-02-2012 10:49 PM

Glad you made it back safely! Love northern MI but it certainly is cold this time of year.

Have you ever spot checked Spirit at night? It looks like you could increase 1/2u if you wanted to in the PM since he seems to stay fairly flat.

But if you get a lower fasting number in the AM, you might have to decrease by 1/4 to 1/2 unit I would think to keep from dropping lower on your walks. It'd really be a bit of trial and error.

jim maceri 03-03-2012 03:22 AM

I've spot checked a few times and yes the #'s are higher than the day but since spirit sleeps thru the night with no drinking or need to go out I try to leave him be. I think I test alot, on average 4 times a day and curves once every 2 weeks unless I get some strange readings.

jim maceri 03-03-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 69446)
So glad to see you made it back, Jim! And Marijane and Spirit, too! Have to say...you are a tease with those beautiful numbers that Spirit has! You're an amazing diabetes dad! Want to borrow Hank for a few weeks to get his little bum straightened out? LOL :D

Hank is such a cutie..the little guys melt my heart, don't think I could be as tough on him as I am spirit. ;)

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 03-03-2012 04:56 AM

Where's the "green eyed monster avatar"? :D

Those are some AWESOME numbers!!!!!!

diggydog 03-03-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom (Post 69455)
Where's the "green eyed monster avatar"? :D

Those are some AWESOME numbers!!!!!!

Yeah I agree - I want the green eyed monster avatar as well!

Glad you made it home safe and if Shellie gets to send Hank to you then can I sign Alfie up next!

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 03-03-2012 03:54 PM

Hank only spends a day or two in each place as he has his comedy routine that keeps him on the road - traveling from place to place making people laugh. I'm sure there will be space for Alfie with Jim rather quickly after Hank his the road for his traveling fun show...

:D

Shellie 03-03-2012 04:50 PM

Oh no...he's gotten the job as a greeter at Walmart now so he's not going anywhere! Have to bring in the cash somehow! :D

So Jim is going to run a new camp for bad egg diabetic pups! yay! You can do it, Jim...you just never, ever look in their eyes... lol