Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

jim maceri 03-03-2012 07:32 PM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 69517)
Oh no...he's gotten the job as a greeter at Walmart now so he's not going anywhere! Have to bring in the cash somehow! :D

So Jim is going to run a new camp for bad egg diabetic pups! yay! You can do it, Jim...you just never, ever look in their eyes... lol

All hank would have to do is lie on the pillows like the picture in your album (#10) and I would be putty in his paws....LOL

Shellie 03-03-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim maceri (Post 69525)
All hank would have to do is lie on the pillows like the picture in your album (#10) and I would be putty in his paws....LOL

Oh, it gets far worse than that, Jim! He has this way of putting his head on my shoulder when sitting next to me and looking up at me...is it any wonder he runs my life? lol

MaryLea 03-03-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 69526)
Oh, it gets far worse than that, Jim! He has this way of putting his head on my shoulder when sitting next to me and looking up at me...is it any wonder he runs my life? lol

Jim, she's probably got you beat at being "putty in his paws." Love that phrase! :D

Mary

jim maceri 03-05-2012 06:46 AM

Spirit has been running some higher numbers for him but I am chalking that up to being 4 degrees today and it has been very cold since we got back from florida the last 5 days. Does anyone else notice that cold weather may affect circulation? I've increased his night dose from 12 units to 12.5 or if he is really high (low 200's for him) then 13 units.

We are going to the vet today for some blood work. I know infections can lead to higher numbers so I've been checking his urine in addition to BG and he does have a trace of sugar.....250mg but he is showing no symptoms of a UTI.

CarolW 03-05-2012 07:15 AM

I would indeed do the vet trip, but also, the stress (changes) of the drive home and the change of climate seem to me VERY likely triggers for changes in BG levels. I do think it's good to monitor, to discover what is currently the best dose of insulin for Spirit - and to check for possible UTI as well.

With the skills and attitude you and MJ have, and Spirit himself, as well, I have absolutely NO doubts Spirit's BG levels will soon stabilize, and you'll reach a good decision on insulin doses.

Anyway, Kumbi generally responded to seasonal changes, and unusual activity, too, is always a kind of physiological stress on a critter!

Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:15:28 (PST)

momofdecker 03-05-2012 07:27 AM

Jim -
I've suspected for awhile that the cold affects Decker's bg. He loves walking in the cold but no longer enjoys just hanging out outside when it's cold/snowy out. Of course I have no numbers to back it up - just one of those observation kind of things. Holli

jesse girl 03-05-2012 08:42 AM

you may just chalk it up to activity level and yes you may have to up the dose a bit

jim maceri 03-05-2012 10:18 AM

Back from the vet and he was very pleased with Spirits weight, BG numbers and overall health. He checked for a UTI and he was clean (no blood, bacteria) His urine tests during the day show no traces of sugar however his first morning test usually shows about 250mg, (second square on the bottle label). While there, we also drew blood for a CBC panel to compare to the one done in early December. Should get those results this afternoon since he does them right at the animal hospital.

He was not concerned with Spirit's few high numbers and doesn't want me to make any changes in dose. One thing he did mention was when his fasting numbers are between 100-130 (which they rarely are) he wants me to feed as normal and keep the dose at 12 units but delay the shot at least 20 minutes/30 minutes. He agreed that the night dose should stay at 13 units.

He checked his eyes which he said had a bit of clouding but no more than a normal pet of his age without diabetes. It was nice to just get confirmation that Spirit handled the travels well. Another interesting point he said it is no problem giving spirit shots only in the scruff of his neck because there is so much skin there. He basically showed me 4 spots on the scruff that I could rotate to and if I wanted I could also do either side of the rump.

Patty 03-05-2012 11:28 AM

Sounds like a good visit, Jim. Let us know how the blood panel comes out.

jim maceri 03-05-2012 03:56 PM

One other thing the vet told me was to put a "little" apple cider vinegar in his water bowl to help keep his urinary tract healthy...I forgot to ask how much. I always fill his bowl with 4 cups of water at a time so I can measure his intake daily. The holistic website says to add a few drops...anyone else doing this? If so do you think a teaspoon per 4 cups is enough? I added that today and he drank his water so I assume he can't smell it but is it the right amount to do the job.