Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

Patty 03-14-2012 11:56 AM

Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

It really is amazing how sensitive he is for such a big dog.

When the vet office asks me how much insulin Ali's on (at 47 lbs) and I tell them 8 1/4 or 8 1/8, I think they think I'm nuts.

jim maceri 03-14-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 70291)
It really is amazing how sensitive he is for such a big dog.

When the vet office asks me how much insulin Ali's on (at 47 lbs) and I tell them 8 1/4 or 8 1/8, I think they think I'm nuts.

My vet STILL can't believe spirits diabetes....He keeps telling me that he SHOULD be getting about 30 units for his size. I can't get over how blessed I am that I have a dog who graciously goes along with all my poking, testing and experimenting. I think for my own good and the good of my relationship with Marijane that I become less obsessed. Sometimes I don't realize the stress she feels because of my obsession. We talked about the "strain" that we both have felt since he was diagnosed...even on vacation, everything revolved around my dog. I really really need to work on this.

Since his diagnosis in November there are only a handful of days that I have tested less than 4 times a day. I remember telling myself once this is regulated I can cut back on testing so much but that just hasn't happened. I hope I can get to a point when I can let the poor guy get tested 2x a day before shots and a curve every couple of weeks......WILL THAT DAY EVER COME? :confused: Marijane has said many many times that I know my dog and that sometimes too much information is just too much information and I'm not letting him be a dog and I'm not enjoying him like I did prior to the diagnosis. Today she told me THERE IS LIFE AFTER DIABETES and reminded me that many dogs and people live full normal lives and don't always worry (Hypo) about something that has not happened yet....she is so wise!

Shellie 03-14-2012 01:42 PM

I understand how you feel, Jim! It DOES feel as if life now revolves around diabetes. I had to give up testing for awhile...it was too stressful. For me. I've been going by feel and although I know Hank has been running higher, he SEEMS ok so I've relaxed a bit. You have to give yourself a break now and then and just let them be dogs.

In the last week or so, I have noticed that Hank is running higher and am beginning to see signs that it's time to go back to working on it BUT...I don't want to return to obsession like I did before. It's a hard line to follow. But... even tho I'm lucky like you in having a dog who cooperates, I'm still going to remember...put the dog first!

Lots of hugs!

Judi 03-14-2012 02:27 PM

I think Spirit is fortunate to have his OCD human Dad. With the drops he gets from exercise your testing has been key.

It would be nice if you could bring yourself to shoot for a 150-250 range on average so you didn't have to constantly worry about lows. I hope you can get there.

Like Shellie, I've been not testing as often lately but am back into it for now since she is bordering on lows again.

There is a happy medium somewhere, right? I figure if Jenny is playful and rowdy that is good but one poke in her lip won't kill her either.

SandyL 03-14-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 70303)
I think Spirit is fortunate to have his OCD human Dad. With the drops he gets from exercise your testing has been key.

It would be nice if you could bring yourself to shoot for a 150-250 range on average so you didn't have to constantly worry about lows. I hope you can get there.

Like Shellie, I've been not testing as often lately but am back into it for now since she is bordering on lows again.

There is a happy medium somewhere, right? I figure if Jenny is playful and rowdy that is good but one poke in her lip won't kill her either.

Lows always scared the heck out of me!!! We're gone during the day, so I'm perfectly content with Tiggys numbers which usually range from 125-250. Elimanates me testing ALL THE TIME which means I'm much more relaxed and she's happy as a clam. We were ALL OCD at the beginning and it's so much better now that I'm not!! I test fastings but that's it unless she's acting weird which is very rare

Sandy

jim maceri 03-15-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 70303)

Well, that IS the range he has been running for over a week with the exception of the one low reading 2 days ago. My biggest concern for a 120 pound dog is to preserve his eye site. I can't simply pick him up and carry him out or lift him into the car. He does use a ramp all the time but eyesight is why I shoot for a 110-200 range....hope I can get back there. I don't have a problem seeing the 230-240 range during the day but I just don't understand the ramifications of having him in that range all the time. Maybe someone here with more experience can put my mind at ease that running numbers between 150-250 will have no adverse affects on his organs or eyes.

Cebe 03-15-2012 08:34 AM

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that all dogs are different, but so far, Zoe has maintained her eyesight and her bg is usually in the mid to upper 200s.

she also would be a big dog to carry, but even if she loses her eyesight, I don't think I will be carrying her around. I think she will learn her limits and I may need to assist her here and there, but for the most part, she will acclimate to any loss of sight. My point is that I don't think you will have to lift your dog if he loses his sight - only guide him. He trusts you, and will likely go where you direct him on blind faith (pun intended) - cuz they love us and trust us.

jim maceri 03-15-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks for that feedback.....just got back from the vet AGAIN....wanted to make sure there are no infections (UTI) before I increase the dose today. Highest reading ever for him 5.5 hours after injection.....291......2 hours later 302!! Keep in mind that spirit has been breaking high records for him all week. This is the first time he went over 300 BTW, lots of sugar in the urine but no UTI

Less than a week ago he was running 120-220 numbers
I hope I get a grip on this soon.

MaryLea 03-15-2012 11:28 AM

Jim, you are doing an awesome job with and for Spirit! ;) When all is said and done, you can only do so much for him in spite of the fact that you want to do more. He knows your "heart" towards him, and that is what matters most.

BTW, how is he behaving? Is he acting like the 302 bothered him? If he drops back down into 150-250 range, I wouldn't worry about an unexplained spike. Maybe the more experienced members will chime in with comments.

Whatever happens, you are right on top of it, and Spirit is lucky to have you! :)

Mary

jim maceri 03-15-2012 12:01 PM

Thanks Mary,

He didn't seem to act much different....he took his walks, wagged his tail and slept about the same as usual. A little shaking of the front legs when he gets in the car but other than that, no real difference. There is a considerable amount of sugar in his urine today (500mg this a.m. and over 1000 this afternoon) hence my reason to rule out any infections before upping the dose. Prior to diagnosis he was drinking 10-14 cups of water a day......then he settled in at about 4-5 cups for the last several months which is normal for the big guy. Yesterday he drank about 5 cups and will probably do the same today. The plan is to go to 13.5 units at dinner tonight and if all is well we will hold there for 3-5 days...if that doesn't do it the vet wants me to try 14 units.

Here we go again.....looking for that magic number to keep him between 150-250 now....my vet gave me a "pep" talk and told me Spirit was in good hands and he thinks I can get him back to the 100-200 range that he has been in for the last 4 months but I'll be happy with just about any reduction.