Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

momofdecker 11-06-2013 05:58 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Sounds like a win -win for all with Otis. Hope Pasta night goes well for all!

Monsters Momma 11-11-2013 07:28 AM

I know I should know the answer to this, but I can't seem t find it in my memory banks. If Vinny is running uncharacteristically low at fasting/dinner time, how do you adjust his insulin? He was at 75 and I certainly didn't want to give him a full dose, but I wasn't sure how to adjust.:confused::confused:

sherryandfred 11-11-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 118926)
I know I should know the answer to this, but I can't seem t find it in my memory banks. If Vinny is running uncharacteristically low at fasting/dinner time, how do you adjust his insulin? He was at 75 and I certainly didn't want to give him a full dose, but I wasn't sure how to adjust.:confused::confused:

well i am going to tell you what my vet said..he said if fred was that long and he has been..that he doesn't need insulin till the nighttime..now that being said i never have tired it i only gave him a few units once he came up and gave him a few things that would make him come up faster....if i was home with him then i may skip and see how he does threw the day but because i work i only give him a little and make him come up with sugar stuff...

Eddie 11-11-2013 07:36 AM

I don't think there is a formula for this; just as Sherry says - I'd drop the dose a bit and keep an eye on them (not very scientific!). A lot depends on their usual trend. That would not be low for Eddie who can easily drop that far at fasting and I would probably only reduce his dose by maybe 1 unit. But if that is very different from his usual pattern you might need to be more cautious, especially if you are going to be out.
Antonia

Judi 11-11-2013 07:45 AM

we run into this sometimes. (this morning for instance LOL)

I drop Jenny's dose and keep track so next time I'll know better how much to drop her dose by. I know with Jenny she needs at least 1 unit for her basal needs so this morning I gave her 2 units cause she was 75.

You hate to put them on a roller coaster but it has happened to us. ugh

momofdecker 11-11-2013 08:08 AM

Another option, if you were going to be around for awhile, would be to feed then wait to give the shot. Check again at the 30 minute mark to see if the bg has raised enough to feel comfortable giving a full dose. If not you could wait up till an hour afterwards. Of course, if the bg does not raise enough, you may still need to give a reduced shot at that point. Hoping things settle soon for Vinny.

Monsters Momma 11-11-2013 09:21 AM

My first question was "What did he get into?" ;) I really needed to do a full curve yesterday, but life happens and it didn't get done. :(

Monsters Momma 11-22-2013 08:41 AM

Does anyone else have trouble getting blood from their dogs lip after being able to for months? All of a sudden I started having trouble with Vinny's left lip, then after a couple of weeks, I've started having trouble with both! :confused: I'm doing it the same way I always have, and now I'm even rubbing the lip a bit to get things going. What else should I do, because I didn't have much luck elsewhere and I really don't want to have to figure out a new spot!
Mel

momofdecker 11-22-2013 08:47 AM

Any chance he is slightly dehydrated? I know when it took two or more pokes of the lip, it was a key indicator that Decker was getting a bit dehydrated. Seems strange that it would have started with just the left side though. Always love to keep us on our toes, that's for sure!

jesse girl 11-22-2013 08:55 AM

i dont remember if you are using a lance device the spring can begin to fail sometimes after a couple of months of testing i have gone through a handful of them . you could try to hand lance

i have been testing jesses lip for almost 4 years and not seen a reduction of blood from testing but like i said i have had to replace lance devices