Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Patty 07-23-2013 04:44 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Regulation is really a loose term and can be defined different ways. For me regulation was when you could keep the majority of the day under the renal threshold of 180mg/dL. That's not always possible every day, especially with wobblers.

You are getting great advice. Love to hear how Sissy's doing :)

stylynjm 07-23-2013 04:49 PM

Ya, good Patty,
The only thing that is really confusing me is, if she is say 130 tonite or anytime, how can I still give her 6.75 units????Doesn't compute????
I'm questioning myself, with what I've been doing it seems wrong. Can you all explain it to me???
Sorry for not understanding. Not questioning you, questioning me!!!!:)

stylynjm 07-23-2013 07:20 PM

So far so good, Sissy was 315 tonite. coming down a little at a time.
I will do a curve the end of week... :D Thanks everyone for your help. ;)

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 03:42 AM

Jackie,

I can understand your confusion, but that 130 (for example) may be a fasting number but if she trends higher after that, you should feel confident to give her normal dosage. Of course this is all hypothetical right now.

She has had a food change, so her curve can be completely different than how she use to be. What we are hoping for is a flatter curve, and not wild swings, it makes it clearer as to what decisions to make.

Regulation for us, because I have a wobbler as well, is similar to Patty. Abby will sometimes give me a 120 for fasting, and sometimes a 250. I don't change the dosage... After much testing I find that when she reads a 120, she will go up (I intervene with honey and treats prior to a walk or any exercise), and with a 250, I will not. I try to keep everything consistent with Food/Timing/Insulin, and only intervene with exercise with treats and honey. When I didn't, I was driving myself crazy. She stays most of the day 120-150.

You are doing good, and let Sissy adjust. I think it will be come clear soon.

Barb

stylynjm 07-24-2013 09:34 AM

Barb,
Thank you and I hope this all comes together.
I am really confused, last night she was 315, pretty good, gave her 6.75 and this morning she was 476!!!
I don't know what happens that she does this. Is it something I do or her body??
Is there anything we can do to stop this craziness??? or is it just going to be her no matter what.???:eek:
I know you have been there, any ideas??

Jackie

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 09:49 AM

Where do you give her shots? The scruff, the flank? Just curious, as I was getting some wild numbers and found that changing the injection site, helped quite a bit.

I still think you should stay at 6.75. Of course the 6.75 will never be so consistent, as I have Abby on 5.75, and sometimes I think more in the needle than others, which can cause some fluctuation (or at least I think this is the case).

So, keeping that in mind, see where she ends up today. Unless we do a full curve, we have no way of knowing why she throws a high number here and there.... but overall we need to see how she is trending.

Barb

stylynjm 07-24-2013 10:05 AM

For several months now, I have been giving shots behind shoulders, left in morning, right at night!! Used to do scruff, but that got really thick, so switched.
She is in the 300"s now, hour 4, gave her 7 this a.m. should I have stuck with 6.75/
Figured I needed to get her down??
What about adding Humalog if my vet will try it??? would that help with these highs
When do you think I should do curve??
I have been testing her about 4 times a day, counting fasting numbers, with the changes going on, and how unpredictable she can be.;)

stylynjm 07-24-2013 10:12 AM

Darn it Barb,
Saw your post after breakfast time. Next time she is high, will stick with 6.75;)
I wonder if when she has a high number, she has gone below her comfort number, so goes high. I have always said she is happiest and feeling best between 150ish and 300!!?

Riliey and Mo 07-24-2013 10:53 AM

Sissy needs to stay consistent with her insulin!

Raising and dropping her insulin daily is going to make her sick

Please stick with 6.75 for a week then do a curve so we all can see whether Sissy needs an increase or decrease. Please stop changing her insulin when you see a high or low bg.

One insulin adjustments takes time to settle in her body.

You might want to take a break from testing for a few days.

Mo

stylynjm 07-24-2013 11:10 AM

Thanks Mo,
Yes, I should have. I do realize I have to stay consistent. I will no matter what her number.
I have been on the adjusting doses for a long time, it is just changing my thinking. I think for her right now, you are all right, and I need to see what she does at a steady dose.
Yesterday, I cut back on testing. Ya, she is high enough that she is most likely safe. I do try to give her feet a break. Good idea.
I really really appreciate everyone's help. I do feel like we could be close to much better numbers, and Sissy feeling her best. That is the goal, above everything, my girl:D Thanks for hanging in there with us!!