Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

momofdecker 07-24-2013 11:13 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

I will start by saying I think you still need to give Sissy some time as she does seem to be a dog who takes a bit longer than most to adapt to changes.

BUT, having said that, your descriptions are still reminding me a lot of Decker. When he was on NPH I thought the same thing you just said in terms of his body not being comfortable in a lower range. A walk would drop him into a decent range but he'd bounce right back up an hour or so later. It seemed that any time he dropped, especially if it was a large fast drop, he would bounce back up into the 300+ range.

We did try R with him one time and he had the same reaction. It dropped his bg over 100 points, into a decent range and by the end of the night he was up over 600. When we switched to levemir we had considered using R for corrective measures but I was so worried his body would have that same response we worked with the levemir and found a way to correct it with a much more potent and longer acting insulin. He would still, on occasion, have large/fast drops with levemir but his body did not have the same response with a large bounce back up. I'm not trying to say levemir would correct this in Sissy, as every dog is different. I'm only trying to say that something I had thought was a body response from Decker proved to be an insulin response. We only figured that out by changing his insulin.

I think with Sissy what you need to keep a close eye on is whether the food adjustment can correct the response and to figure out if she can hold steady if/when you get to the point of a small increase n insuiln. If you continue, with time, to see fluctuations it may come to the point where a change in insulin might be worth more seriously considering.

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 110836)
For several months now, I have been giving shots behind shoulders, left in morning, right at night!! Used to do scruff, but that got really thick, so switched.
She is in the 300"s now, hour 4, gave her 7 this a.m. should I have stuck with 6.75/
Figured I needed to get her down??
What about adding Humalog if my vet will try it??? would that help with these highs
When do you think I should do curve??
I have been testing her about 4 times a day, counting fasting numbers, with the changes going on, and how unpredictable she can be.;)

I give Abby her shots in the Flank (right at night, left in morning), and once I changed she started to get flatter numbers. Just a thought. I had always thought, that the movement in the shoulder area, made her absorb quicker, and then towards the end of the day, she would run out of insulin. Not sure if that was the case or not.... but the reason why I moved her injection spot.

If you would like to stay at 7 units for now, perhaps now may be the time. I haven't seen any lower numbers posted, so now that you have changed her, perhaps keep her at 7 units. If you feel that she has experienced some low numbers (low meaning around 60), then keep her at 6.75. Perhaps an even 7 may hold her more steady. The reason why I say this, is that it is hard measuring 1/4 of units.

But remember every time you make a change, you start out at ground zero in gathering information. You do not know how she is going to trend, if changes are done.

Barb

stylynjm 07-24-2013 12:07 PM

Barb,
No, she has not had any below 100. I think the lowest was 130. I am comfortable staying with 6.75 for a week and seeing what her pattern is. Then you can help me judge from there.!!
At 6.75 she can go either way with some wiggle room.;)

Judi 07-24-2013 01:03 PM

your dilemma is part of the reason I don't test too often. It is so hard to resist tweaking if they are at 130-150 when it is the steady dose that has gotten them there.

good luck staying the course! :)

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judi (Post 110869)
your dilemma is part of the reason I don't test too often. It is so hard to resist tweaking if they are at 130-150 when it is the steady dose that has gotten them there.

good luck staying the course! :)

I agree Judi. I had a panic attack when Abby first went into the 100s. Thinking... oh my how low will she go. But after a bit, you relax, and it is good not to test too often. It can certainly drive you crazy.

stylynjm 07-24-2013 02:23 PM

Barb,
Would you shelf the levemir idea now, until we see how much better we can get things without that change. I think that is my thought on it. Wait and see what we come up with.:D

Abby's Mom 07-25-2013 03:56 AM

Sissy is at a small dose, so I think it would be hard to micro dose her. Adding the humalog helped Abby when I identified that she ran out. However, with hindsight it may have been finding the key which kept her level, but nonetheless gave piece of mind that I had it. I wasn't in panic mode, and felt I had more control.

I personally think that Sissy needs to go up in dosage, but not for sure until everything is consistent, and we have a good solid curve.

Barb

stylynjm 07-25-2013 04:25 AM

Hi Barb,
I did stick to 7 units last night, I am waiting to see what she is at fasting this morning. I think you're correct, that she probably needs to go up a little.
I'm not ready to do anything about insulin until we get this project,lol, figured out.;)
She just fell off our bed, (hers and mine), which she has never done, in 9 yrs!! She seems fine, gave her a looking over, and now our "snuggle time":D until 6 a.m.

Abby's Mom 07-25-2013 06:29 AM

Awww. Our bed is extremely high, and in recent months, Abby will not jump on it. She waits for me to pick her up and place her on it.

I know if I fell out of my bed, I would hurt myself..;) Hopefully yours is closer to the ground.

stylynjm 07-25-2013 06:46 AM

Barb,
I waited 15 mins to give insulin to make sure she wouldn't throw up. She seems to be ok, maybe a little stiff. I am putting my bed on the floor today....Sissy always comes first in our house.( it's me and Sissy and pom Sam, so we get to do what we want,LOL, all the time...:)
I am sticking with 7 units. She was 357 this a.m. (around 340 at 4 a.m. when she fell) As you said, now we started 7 so will give it some time.
On the shot location. Where do you give in flank??? Sissy has very little skin there to pull up??? you mean kind of in front of hind hip?? Patty used to do it in Ali's sides, would that maybe be better???