Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

amydunn19 08-10-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

If Maggie is under 100 at her meal/insulin time, I always wait one hour after she eats and check again. I usually cut her insulin by at least a half unit. If it is crazy low,I might cut it an entire unit. I am not going to put her in an unsafe range especially at night. The next day start out higher but it usually levels right back out.

stylynjm 08-10-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks all, Yes Amy,that was my thinking, but wasn't sure. You just wait and see if she raises and then give a little reduced amount of insulin, right.
Amy, just checked her and she is going to be under 100 tonite at supper. After you wait an hour, and give reduced insulin, then do you have to worry about overlap or a problem in the a.m.???

stylynjm 08-10-2013 04:45 PM

:eek:Help Sissy is going below 100, she doesn't eat for one more hour. Do I wait after her food until she comes up some, or give very reduced insulin??? She is still going down

momofdecker 08-10-2013 05:04 PM

You could feed her early, then give insulin at the normal time if she's come up over 100. That way you don't have to worry about overlap? Just a thought.

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 08-10-2013 05:07 PM

I'd feed her now, test after 1 hour, and if over 115, then give reduced dose.

stylynjm 08-10-2013 05:19 PM

Thank you bunches, Holi and Sydneys mom.
Great advice. I will get her food ready now and give a little early. Then will test before giving insulin. Will base insulin on how she raises.
Do you think I should back her down to 6.5 units from now on, or just reduce and work with low times?????

amydunn19 08-10-2013 07:28 PM

Is this the first time since you raised her to 7 units that she has gone lower? I would almost make sure it is a trend at this dose or a fluke thing? It seems she was having lows at this dose before? You might keep her at that dose for a few days and see if she keeps having a low or she may get used to it and even out some.

Just a thought and I am not suggesting you start this right now but....Have you ever tried giving her food to balance out? If 6.5 is too little insulin and 7 is too much, maybe you could feed her something at her low point. Or experiment with breaking her two meals into three or even four. Spreading out her food might change her curve without giving her more food/calories. Just a thought to brainstorm if it looks like 7 units is too much.

stylynjm 08-10-2013 08:44 PM

Amy, thank you so much. Good ideas. She has been on 6.75 for 2 weeks now, since I added the teaspoon of merrick 96% chicken to her meals. She has had 3-4 lower 100's (130-150) The last 3 days she has been going up, (no wares near as much as she used to) until around noon, then gone down all afternoon to her low at suppertime.Last night I waited 15 mins and then gave her 6.5, she was at 210 alphatrak when I gave insulin. This a.m. she was 306, still a much better number than usual. Tonite I waited 20 mins and then gave her 6.5 again, when she was 180ish.
It seems like she is trying to get to lower numbers... what do you think of the 6.5, or just use that when she is around 150?? or lower, or wait 10 or 15 mins before giving insulin. Tonite I did feed her 15 minutes early, and then gave insulin at regular time, but 15 minutes later.
A heck of a day. She came out this morning covered with blood, a tag had broken off!!! Then my other dog had 2 seizures!!! then she went low... I am exhausted, and I'm sure they are too. I have a vet appointment Monday morning for them to look at the sores from tags for Sissy. I worry about infection.
Sorry for the rambling :p
Thanks for everyones help :eek:

Riliey and Mo 08-10-2013 10:52 PM

Good luck at the vet, sorry their not feeling well.

What was the low bg you were concerned about.

Think you could do a curve when u have some time?

Mo

amydunn19 08-11-2013 08:00 AM

I give Maggie less insulin in the morning(2 units in the morning and 2.5 at nite) it sounds like you might could do the reverse for Sissy since she seems higher in the morning than the afternoon or evening) Also, maybe give her a little snack around noon time- Maggie gets either Yoghund Frozen yogurt or a couple of spoons of chicken baby food or half a Stella and Chewys freeze dried patty. Tweaking food to me is easier than tweaking insulin so I generally feed a low. I am in that very lucky position since I take Maggie to work with me so I have her all the time. Her numbers just seem steadier with more food. This may not work for Sissy but the only way to know is to try.

You are doing great with Sissy. I personally would lean toward going with that higher dose in the morning and maybe the lower dose at night. Adding a snack might bring that night time number a little higher so you could be confident giving her insulin. If you worry about overnight her going low, you could check her before bed and if lower than you would like, give her a small snack again. Maggie rarely runs low at night - I guess because she is sleeping.