Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 12-10-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Barb,like between her belly and back,like Patty did? The skin is so thin there.!!! Do u think I should cut a tiny bit when I try that. Do u ever stick yourself,lol I will have to be really careful. Does the needle go all the way thro. Do u get used to it? Does it hurt our pups more?? A couple of members think it might make a little difference.

Abby's Mom 12-11-2012 02:47 PM

Jackie,

Yes, the skin is thin there, and I make sure I angle the needle, and it just slides in smoothly... I then know that I have a good shot. I have not gone through, but I am always aware and make sure I do not go through.

I think as long as the needle goes in smoothly, Abby doesn't even flinch. I have seen where she will flinch in other spots, surprisingly.

I have not stuck myself YET. And you do get use to it. Believe me I was very squeamish about this spot.. my stomach would roll. But now, it seems to make it a little easier, when I see that Abby doesn't even know that I gave an injection... of course, she is munching on a nice treat during all of this.

Barb

stylynjm 12-11-2012 03:14 PM

hi barb, Lol,snacks always help,although Sissy is sooooooo mellow. She just let's me do what is needed. I did find a smaller skin area by her neck,but am going to try the side. Did u get more even #'s? That would be nice. I always start something new in the am( oh,will wait until thurs a.m. cause I have to be gone tomarrow a.m.) will let u know.thanks,Jackie

Abby's Mom 12-11-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 94878)
hi barb, Lol,snacks always help,although Sissy is sooooooo mellow. She just let's me do what is needed. I did find a smaller skin area by her neck,but am going to try the side. Did u get more even #'s? That would be nice. I always start something new in the am( oh,will wait until thurs a.m. cause I have to be gone tomarrow a.m.) will let u know.thanks,Jackie

Yes, I did get more even numbers. I had found that her insulin would last a little longer, and not run out, a problem I was having with Humulin. It seems, however, since the switch to Novolin, I do not have this problem any longer, but then again, I do not want to jinx anything, and have kept giving the shots on the side.

;)

stylynjm 12-11-2012 06:29 PM

Hi barb, thanks for info. Sissy is higher tonite at supper,340.. she does that once in awhile,but she has been lower at supper(101-140).I wish I could figure it out.2 to 3 day in 100-200's,then 3 readings 340-450!! It is definitely a pattern, ???? So confusing:(:(

stylynjm 12-11-2012 07:00 PM

Will still do the site change and then see what's the next move.:):)

sophia 12-11-2012 07:47 PM

Happening to Sophia past few days also. For life of me can only think it's something like Milk Thistle.

The fast changes are really confusing. Especially if not much has changed in their diet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 94892)
Hi barb, thanks for info. Sissy is higher tonite at supper,340.. she does that once in awhile,but she has been lower at supper(101-140).I wish I could figure it out.2 to 3 day in 100-200's,then 3 readings 340-450!! It is definitely a pattern, ???? So confusing:(:(

sophia 12-11-2012 07:48 PM

This was good to read. I think I need to do from side area more myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 94807)
Jackie.

I found that switching the spots, certainly caused a difference in how the absorption was. I now give Abby (and with some consistency in her numbers), along the side. I found that in the scruff, it took so long to absorb, and not well.

In the shoulder area, I found that it absorbed too quickly, and at least for Humulin, she would run out too soon. I have not tried this area since we have switched to Novolin. What I did find was that along her side, I get the best absorption, more even absorption. I switch (or rotate) each side. Left in morning, Right at Night (rhymes so I remember;))

stylynjm 12-11-2012 08:40 PM

What a cute Sophia is.. yes, so much helpful info on our forum:) I will try sides!!

stylynjm 12-13-2012 08:37 PM

Has anyone else dealt with this couple of days down(120-280) then a day and a half up(300-450).we go back and forth.would a food change smooth things out?