Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Patty 06-30-2013 02:49 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

I am having a hard time keeping up this summer ;) but still read along every chance I get. Good to hear you sent a sample into Dr. Dodds. I too would wait and see what you hear. It usually doesn't take too long to get her reports.

stylynjm 06-30-2013 04:02 PM

I couldn't afford to send to Dr Dodd, with shipping etc, so have to go with internist. The test is about the same price, but shipping etc is another 50-60.00 I think.
Am anxious to see results.
I wish I could afford Dr Dodd. :( I am going to call her tomarrow morning and see what I can do!! Naybe I could drive it there :)

stylynjm 07-05-2013 09:10 PM

Update on Sissy!! Wow, today Sissy went to have the blood drawn for her thyroid panel. Thanks to friends I was able to get it done.;)
The internist checked her out, wants to see what tests show, then think about vetsulin, but she's not sure that is the right answer for Sissy. She said we haven't pushed the NPH as much as we could, so we will see.
The next thing I addressed was the swollen skin around Sissy's scruff, where I have been giving insulin. She showed me other places and said I needed to change shot locations, because the puffy area around scruff could be causing different use of the insulin, so I will change spots in the a.m.
Also, she is willing, after these two issues are determined, is food. She agreed that we might have success trying more fiber, or protein, etc, but is on board for me to work with it.
The best news :D:D is that Sissy's internist did a "quick ultrasound" for free, on her own, and said Sissy has no tumors or anything weird looking. The only thing was one adrenal gland is enlarged.Another suggestion, in her opinion, of cushings.
I was really happy with the visit and am anxiously awaiting the test results, so we can take the next step and move closer to regulation and health for my Sissy.:cool:

Judi 07-05-2013 09:13 PM

sounds like a lot of steps in the right direction! :)

Monsters Momma 07-06-2013 03:49 AM

I would certainly be pleased with a visit like that! Looking forward to hearing what the tests showed! :)

Mel

momofdecker 07-06-2013 05:10 AM

Great job, Jackie - Great plan too! Sissy is a lucky gal.

stylynjm 07-06-2013 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone,
Hoping for the best and some positive steps in the right direction. Will keep you all posted. Sissy is running a little high, but doing good, her usual, 230-400;)

Abby's Mom 07-07-2013 05:00 AM

Jackie,

Sounds likes good internist.. A good solid plan.

Barb

stylynjm 07-08-2013 05:32 PM

WooHoo, normal thyroid levels. Wow, what a relief, one less thing to worry about. Sooo glad.
The internist wants me to change to a grainfree food. She thinks that might make the most difference. I have to add (she said plain pumpkin, but that is hard to find), so might use black beans. So, Finally!!!! I am changing food:)
She felt vetsulin might not be the answer for Sissy, with her history.
Thank all of you for your support and I will let you know how we do with the food change. I think because Sissy is sooooo sensitive to change, I will take several weeks to get it changed. Do 1/4 for 5 days, then 1/2 for 5 days, etc.
Any suggestions??

amydunn19 07-08-2013 06:05 PM

That is great news! Now to find a new food....is Sissy picky?