View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 01:20 PM

Default Re: New member looking for advice

Just an update re: cushings. Bella tested negative with the ACTH test. I'm still suspicious of it though, since her bloodwork looks like cushings, and the test can give false negatives. There is an "atypical" cushings also that there's no good test for; the recommendation for that is a simple and safe supplement of lignans and melatonin, so I figure I'll start her on that since it can't hurt.

Otherwise, she's currently up to 14 units of Vetsulin twice a day, and weighing in at 35 lbs. Her vet says if she gets up to 16 units and is still over 300 blood glucose, she is then considered insulin resistant, and that could mean any number of things at his point. The vet suggested an ultrasound and a visit to the ophthalmologist, with the caveat that returns may be diminishing at this point. Since shes almost 12, now blind, and has declined quite a bit and been through a lot recently, I'm thinking it may be time to focus on comfort and good spirits and not continue with further medical intervention beyond what we're doing now.

I'll report back with her next blood glucose curve tomorrow, we've gone from 11 units to 14 in the past 2 weeks so I'm hoping to see some improvement there.

On the upside, she's eating great, and adjusting to being blind.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Bellandanny; 04-30-2021 at 01:22 PM.