View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Newly diabetic pug - HELP!

Jenny was high for a few months too. It turned out she had cushings but my vet just slowly kept raising the dose. Like JesseGirl said, you are monitoring him. He shouldn't go into ketoacidosis.

I obsessed over food for a long time. Felt like it had to be perfect. My vet recommended one of the canned foods that everyone criticizes. My dog's eye doctor recommended another canned food. The bottom line is that you want to feed them what they will eat. Dogs that won't eat are harder to regulate.

We used both of those canned foods for a couple of years until she got sicker and wouldn't eat them.

Fiber is good to help the insulin last. Consistency matters so the food goes with the insulin dose.

So, pick something that he will eat, stick to it, and give him the same amounts every day. I had special duck jerky treats for when I gave insulin. I was consistent with it! LOL

The bottom line is don't drive yourself crazy. You don't have to be perfect. Just be consistent.

Judi