View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 08:24 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Quality of life for a sick dog

Hi and welcome to you and your pup . My Jesse is in her 17th year of life and is close to being diabetic for almost 11 years . A few months ago I thought time was soon for my jesse as she was struggling to eat and some digestive issues . What i ended up doing is grinded up her homemade diet in a food processor to make it easier to eat and help with digestion which it accomplished both . She has some cognitive issues as she had epilepsy most of her life which may have contributed to that but she has been in remission for the last 4 years

My mom is in hospice after having substantial dental work . Now I can't say for sure that explains this sudden decline but it does point to that . This has been my belief with jesse . She has been in a form of hospice for sometime now that I will not do anything to attempt to prolong her life medically . I will keep her comfortable and happy and continue insulin injections . Yes it takes more effort but that's small potatoes to me . I am retired so I do have the time to hang out with her and provide that comfort . She is on no medication except her insulin injections

Actually the hospice program is a good example with end of life procedures . The only difference we have is a choice to end a life when we feel quality of life is not acceptable for the caretaker . Now that's the tough part what explains a poor quality of life and thats for the individual caretaker to decide.

For me its simple . As long as I look at her and she is still jesse . The key is she is not in fear , terrible pain and is present than we will continue in our type of doggie hospice program .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .