View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: New to all this....

Most dogs are really unfazed by losing vision - they just donít value it on emotional terms. Dogs are so much more able to live in the moment and just carry on and adapt. There are exceptions to this - my Maggie was one. She lost her vision practically overnight and was just paralyzed with fear. We ended up having cataract surgery and her vision was restored but ironically as she got older, it started gradually going again and she was not upset at all. Maggie had an abusive past before I got her and had the worst separation anxiety. She had to be sedated to be in a kennel at all. I suspect that had something to do with her reaction to blindness.

Beyond blindness, there really arenít the type of long term side effects that many humans have with diabetes. Very few have extensive organ damage or the types of healing issues humans do.

Diabetes makes them susceptible to things like pancreatitis and dry eyes, but if you keep them on a low fat diet and be very consistent with the schedule of feeding and shots, and testing blood sugar periodically, your dog can have a relatively normal life span. My Maggie was diagnosed at 7 and lived almost 9 additional years with diabetes. She had a very good life and in the end, it wasnít even diabetes. She had developed very painful cervical spine damage and I couldnít bear that pain. She had fought too hard to suffer like that.