Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Questions about Yuki

Thank you everyone I think I'm gonna try the new insulin. One more question I have his hind legs are getting really bad. He can barely stand up when he's going to the bathroom and he has been slipping a little bit on the stairs going up. He won't go down the more by himself since he's gone blind.

Do you think it's neuropathy? I started giving him b12 and glucosamine hoping this will help. I am thinking about b12 injections at the vet. Has anybody ever done that with success?

It's very strange because his blood just goes up and down all the time the last few days it's been in the 100s I just think he's getting way too much of a swing but I'm really concerned about his hind legs right now.
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

I've read where many dogs have had success with methyl b12, not the regular b12, to combat neuropathy.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

My Vet gave me Cobalequin which is Cyanocobalamin b12. Do you know how much Methyl b12 to give. 28 pound dog? My vet won't know if I ask her. She just recommends the Cobalequin.
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

I have heard of people giving very high doses and they say its ok because the body gets rid of what it needs but I dont know exactly what that is . You maybe able to search on the forum to get an Idea
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I just went to GNC and bought some I am hoping that will help. Thank you for all the information. I am going to switch his insulin middle of December when I'm on holiday break and I can monitor it for a couple weeks.

I don't know how much Novolin to give him he's on 13 units of Vetsulin right now. My vet is not really much help when it comes to that because she has been trained on Vetsulin only. I am going to have to just wing it and try to figure it out on my own.

Any suggestions? Yukon has actually dropped down to 27.8 pounds. I have him on 13 units of vetsulin right now. He is like a yo-yo some days really low some days high I think it's because of his Cushing's.

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
              I just went to GNC and bought some I am hoping that will help. Thank you for all the information. I am going to switch his insulin middle of December when I'm on holiday break and I can monitor it for a couple weeks.

I don't know how much Novolin to give him he's on 13 units of Vetsulin right now. My vet is not really much help when it comes to that because she has been trained on Vetsulin only. I am going to have to just wing it and try to figure it out on my own.

Any suggestions? Yukon has actually dropped down to 27.8 pounds. I have him on 13 units of vetsulin right now. He is like a yo-yo some days really low some days high I think it's because of his Cushing's.
              Well you could start at a normal starting dose which would be 5.5 units . If after 5 days or up to a week if high( 400s and 500s ) you could probably bump it up to 10 units and do a curve every week with with maybe half unit adjustments if needed

The reason to start all over is just to make sure you did not pass the dose that was needed . Now if numbers are in the 300s and 200s you may not want to bump it up to 10 units and regulate from that 5.5 unit starting point and maybe adjust no more than one unit and once you are in the hundreds take that down to a half unit .

hope to see some improvement . You will be happier regulating without the vet which should be allot easier
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

HELP! A couple weeks ago I noticed that Yukon started sneezing quite a lot. At night he would sneeze so hard we would hear his jaw hit the tile floor :-(

I took him to the vet two weeks ago on Tuesday and my vet checked his temp and his glands in his neck and said it was probably just a virus. At that time nothing was coming out of his nose, just excessive sneezing. He has allergies and was getting allergy shots before he was diagnosed with Cushings and Diabetes - we stopped the shots.

A couple days after the vet visit a yellow/green mucous was coming out of one nostril. I texted a pic to my vet and she called in azythromycin. The first day on the antibiotic was fine, but the days after he started losing his appetite, vomited a little and just became more tired. We stopped the antibiotic after 5 days.

He is still sneezing just as much and has clear mucous coming out occasionally. The past few days he has become more tired and is still not eating all his food. Also his hind legs are getting weaker.

I am planning on taking him to the vet in the next couple days for blood work, but I have NEVER had the problem of Yukon not wanting to eat and it really gets tough trying to figure out how much insulin to administer. Most of the time he goes back and eats the rest, tonight he did I not.

I don't know what to do.
                Last edited by YukiesMom; 02-09-2020, 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

There has been a few times when Jesse lost her appetite . I would adjust her dose accordingly . I have been giving her insulin without food for one dose for almost 10 years so I have no problem doing that

Usually you can give a quarter of the normal dose without any food and maybe half with half eaten and adjust the amount in between . Your not trying to be prefect just giving some insulin for the body to work with

As far as the Illness if its allergies than you have to medicate according to that . My jesse has had some wallop type sneezes and some made her bleed

Dogs do get sick and they do loose there appetite just like us . You can give some insulin like i explained . maybe test a bit more to see how blood sugar is doing . Hope yuki feels better soon

Comment

Yukon is still sneezing and now has yellow mucus coming out of his nose. The vet put him on a round of antibiotics and it helped with the yellow mucus, however he was still sneezing like crazy and discharged turned clear.

A couple days after the antibiotic he was blowing out yellow again. It seemed to be only in one nostril for over the last 6 weeks, but last night we noticed it was coming out of the other nostril. He sneezes so hard that the discharge flies everywhere :-(

We put him on another antibiotic last night and I have a Rhinoscopy scheduled for March 23rd. I am so scared about putting his under anesthesia with being 15 years old and diabetic.

His bloodwork came back great a couple weeks ago which is good, but I am just so worried. I have no clue what could be causing this excessive sneezing and mucus. Last night he vomited 1/2 his food and then came back and ate the rest. He has been very lethargic and stiff the last few days as well.

My husband took him to the vet yesterday and they did a nose culture - waiting for the results to come back and see what the next step is.

Comment

Hope you can figure this out . It does sound like a sinus infection . Maybe something got in Yukis nasal cavity and a scope would be helpful determining that .

I dont think being diabetic is a problem and yes yuki is an older dog but blood work is good . Being in one nostril kind of says there maybe something in the nasal area

I think with it being awhile having this problem you may need to take the next step unless your ok with the situation and you and yuki can live with it

Comment

I don't think that Yukon can live with it. I can tell he's very uncomfortable with the situation right now. The strange thing is I thought that when a diabetic dog has an infection his blood sugar is relatively high, but Yukon's blood sugar is in the 200s which is good for him.

I guess I have no choice but to get a Rhinoscopy and hope for the best. I kind of attribute this to the fact that with the Cataracts he can't see that much so his nose is working 10 times harder and I'm hoping that he just inhaled a foreign object and we can get it out.

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                          I don't think that Yukon can live with it. I can tell he's very uncomfortable with the situation right now. The strange thing is I thought that when a diabetic dog has an infection his blood sugar is relatively high, but Yukon's blood sugar is in the 200s which is good for him.

I guess I have no choice but to get a Rhinoscopy and hope for the best. I kind of attribute this to the fact that with the Cataracts he can't see that much so his nose is working 10 times harder and I'm hoping that he just inhaled a foreign object and we can get it out.
                          Thats sounds reasonable . Jesse would get something up her nose while hunting rabbits and she would sneeze so hard . I never seen anything like it and i guess this helped to get rid of it . The better sugar may show its not having a big affect on the body overall

Comment

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...g-for-sneezing

Some good info.
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks. He has his rhinoscope on the 23rd so we will see.

I am running into a situation right now where I just took his blood sugar before dinner and it was 56! I then fed him half of his food and took it again and it went up to 62.

I am going to take it again in an hour but I don't know what to do as far as insulin can someone please give me some advice?

Comment

Maybe the medication has over compensating for cushing . Judi ran into that problem and her pup almost crossed into being an addisons dog from what she wrote . So I guess that could be a sign of that . Probably a good idea to reduce the dose . You could cut by half at least temporarily to find a new staring point . If you see higher numbers and maybe a return of symptoms you may know the dose adjustment lower was to much . If you are still seeing lower numbers you may want to retest the cushings . You may want to look up symptoms of lower cortisol in dogs and maybe give a discussion over at k9 cushings

I like to side on caution over trying to be more exact

Comment

Working...
                                X