View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 09:39 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Quality of life for a sick dog

The only problem is medically controlling any suffering at end of life which we place a big priority in human management of end of life . You can do some things under a vets supervision with medication for pain but most of those options are oral so a pet needs to be able to do that .

My desire is not interfering with the process . Yes its hard and there maybe suffering but living with jesse's seizures for most of her life that appeared to be suffering but in reality there was no actual pain associated with the seizure . I never medicated her for epilepsy and let her live with it ..

My mom has dealt with pain from arthritis for years and only took tylenol as she could not take anything stronger because she did not like how she felt so she lived with the pain she had .

In the end every situation is unique . I dont know what exactly I am going to do . Like I said as long as she is still jesse ( calm cool and collected ) than we will continue . You do have some experience with your other loved one but this situation can be different and may require a different approach

You dog will tell you what to do and there is no wrong or right answer as long as its about the love you have for your pup.
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .