Lily - My English Setter became an angel April 24, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

Happy birthday, Lily. She is such a beautiful girl.
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Happy Birthday Lily ---Lookin Good
      Dogg!!
      My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

Just a quick update. Lily's been doing well, but she's developed a skin infection again on her chest and stomach. We're off to the dermatologist on Thursday. In the meantime I've been treating her with medicated shampoo and leftover Mupirocin ointment.

It's been unusually hot around here in the Buffalo NY area for the last week or so...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 11:14 AM.
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

it looks like lily is waiting for colder weather that hot potato . the colder weather may help with the skin problems hope it clears up soon
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We saw the dermatologist today and Lily does have a crusty bacterial skin infection on her chest, abdomen, legs and tail base. In addition, she has a yeast infection in her ears. No signs of sarcoptic mange, thank goodness.

She received a Cytopoint injection, which should control itching for 1 to 2 months while she is being treated for the infection. They syringed something into her ears for the yeast infection.

For the skin infection, I'll be applying Mupirocin ointment twice daily until an antibacterial spray arrives. I also have to use a medicated shampoo on her twice weekly.

Another fun thing to deal with when you have a diabetic, hypothyroid dog, whose autoimmune system is not quite working as it should. She's worth it though
            Last edited by MikeMurphy; 09-28-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

is lily on a probiotic ? i have seen some amazing things with possibly clearing up other bacterial problems outside the gut

sounds like you have a plan and i think colder months will be helpful also
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                is lily on a probiotic ? i have seen some amazing things with possibly clearing up other bacterial problems outside the gut

sounds like you have a plan and i think colder months will be helpful also
                Thanks Jesse girl. Yep... for a probiotic, she gets one packet of FortiFlora each day.

Comment

Poor Lily! I'm so glad they have medication that helps her be more comfortable.

She is definitely worth it!
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

After being treated for 3 weeks, Lily’s ear infection has cleared up. Her skin infection is pretty much gone. She just has a little crust left underneath her front legs.

I’ll continue to apply the Mupirocin ointment and Amikacin spray to her remaining crusty spots until they completely clear.

I’ve also been washing her infected areas with a medicated shampoo. She loves being washed with a warm wash cloth

The veterinary dermatologist thinks she is more prone to skin infections because of her autoimmune hypothyroidism. In the meantime, I’ve changed the timing of her thyroid meds to 3 hours after eating. It’s supposed to work better either one hour before or three hours after eating.

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

i tend to agree mike with the thyroid problem and an autoimmune response

glad lily is doing much better .not surprised she enjoys baths she has to keep up with her beauty haha

Comment

I’m so glad Lily is feeling better! You take such good care of her!
                        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

So good to hear things are clearing up. Seems like a lot of dogs with white base coats also tend toward skin problems.

Natalie

Comment

She's such a beautiful girl and glad to hear she's doing better.
                            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

This chart has a lot of good information condensed into one visual...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, great information
                                Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
                                She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
                                Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

Working...
                                X