View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 12:50 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member looking for advice

Early in my Jesse's diagnosis I took her to the vet to do a curve and asked them to compare my meter to their lab analyzer( the most accurate way to test blood sugar ) I was using a human meter at the time . At her highest level in the low 500s on my meter the lab registered in the mid 350s . As the numbers drifted lower and in the 100s the 2 forms of testing the numbers became closer together and almost identical in the low 100s . Yes jesse's blood sugar could go from 500s to 100s in just a few hours but in reality according to the lab analyzer she wasn't as high as what my human meter was saying . Still high but not near as high as I thought.

I feel if a dog is very high above 500 on a hand held meter you would think a dog would be in crisis . Also like your dog you would think there is enough insulin in the system to keep her below 500

So at these levels on a handheld meter you maybe getting a skewed pattern and it maybe difficult to draw any conclusions

Now the only way to know if the numbers are fairly accurate at these levels is compare to a lab analyzer and hopefully like I did with jesse we got to test at a wide range of levels from low to high . At least in my situation treating Jesse's diabetes I did not place much emphasis at high level patterns and try to make sense of it on my meter . Now this is just my thoughts on my jesse's situation . I cant judge what is going on with other dogs and only can offer an opinion from what I have seen in Jesse's situation

So it possible your dog could be in the 300s to 400s for large part of the day . Still high but not in crisis . I have seen dogs not do any better than this and did ok without any medical difficulties except for the cataracts . The things with dogs there life spans are not that long to begin with so they really don't succumb to the ravages of higher sugar. My jesse is a rare example of living quite long with the disease and her sugar has been far from perfect during periods of her diabetic life and she has lived a happy dogs life

Like I suggested the eye problems and medication can affect insulin resistance which may require a higher dose of insulin . The thing about blood sugar we dont know where and how its being produced when we test blood sugar . You can get it from digestion and or the body storage capacity . Also the body has way to make insulin not as effective ( insulin resistance ). My personal thought I believe dogs dont really produce big food spikes . I think spikes in sugar are more hormonal and a response to something within

In my opinion your not seeing big swings in sugar like my jesse had so hopefully you can get to better level ( 200s to 300s) that could be good enough for regulation but like i suggested you could get up to 25 units but without improvement at that level you may have to rethink your approach and try something different thinking outside the box .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021