Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 07:29 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi and welcome . If the numbers are correct a 300 point swing in blood sugar is fairly substantial so something is out of balance . It could be as simple as the dose being to much causing instability and lowering the dose may be helpful but any dose adjustment usually needs a week to settle and the body adapt . Bouncing around with a dose is counter productive. An imbalance between food and insulin can cause problems also

Lantus hasn't been a very productive insulin for dogs . The 2 that have had the best results is nph and vetsulin

You can do your own complete curves and based on the lowest number within that curve is how you determine dose adjustments up or down . Also as I suggested unstable sugar could need a dose adjustments lower

It took 6 months to get my jesse fairly stable and a year to be completely satisfied withe her routine . She lived withe the disease for 11 years and lived a normal happy dogs life withe some limitations

Its not complicated . You follow the simple protocols and stick to them . Having blood sugar from 100 to 250 is very good and you would like the swings under 200 but some dogs never get sugar that good and do fine . As long as they are not symptomatic they are probably fine

My attitude with jesse was to be the expert of her diabetes and I felt I accomplished that and I never discussed her diabetes with her vet after I felt there was nothing to gain from that as they could not put that kind of time to figuring out what was needed

It about being a detective and figuring out what works and doesnt

Most caretakers do get to regulation that is appropriate for their dog which can be very different from dog to dog
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021