Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:52 AM

Default Check out these curves ! (glucose - not great)

Hi again.

I managed to get a Freestyle Libre attached to Pugsley and have been struggling to get control of his glucose. I've been tweaking food and insulin dose but I can't seem to get any kind of sensible consistency.

Check out his curves... He usually gets fed twice daily - about 7am & 7pm, though these tend to move slightly depending on how annoying he is, barking constantly for food.

There are a couple of confusing results - such as 28th Nov when his glucose barely moved after his breakfast. Same thing again today ! What's that all about ????

Bear in mind that 500 mg/dl is the maximum the meter can read, so where you see a curve climbing to 500 then going flat - that just means the actual reading is over 500.

These curves look nothing like the 'ideal' curves I've seen on various sites.
I'm also puzzled why his glucose climbs so rapidly and to such a high level - is that normal (particularly the level) ??

A couple of times I've had to feed him when his level dropped to about 64 and on one occasion I broke out the emergency glucose gel when it hit 50.

I'm struggling here..... help me my lovely friends !

xx
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Check out these curves ! (glucose - not great)

Looks like classic rebound to me and it's very consistent . When blood sugar dips below a 100 you get a big spike . If this has been going on for awhile it maybe difficult to settle the body down .
Did the aggressive appetite come after being diagnosed diabetic ?

Now the last curve looks really good . Was anything different that day . Appetite different that day
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Last edited by jesse girl; 12-03-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:54 PM

I've never heard of rebound until you mentioned it. His appetite went crazy after being diagnosed - though it's hard to be sure as we always used to just feed him whenever he was hungry and all of a sudden, he's on two meals a day, 12h apart, so he's going crazy for food as he's not used to going so long without a meal.

The bottom graph is today - and only half the day at that. The only thing that has changed is that my wife has been feeding him as I'm in bed with Norovirus and we usually give him 4.4 oz of wet dog food with 8% carb content, 1.4 oz of chicken breast and 1 oz of dry kibble per meal. The dry kibble is Royal Canin Weight Management and the wet food was Royal Canin Weight Management Wet, but when we ran out of that, I switched to this other stuff that was in the supermarket and seemed to have low carbs. Today, we ran out of chicken, so his breakfast contained very little chicken at all and his evening meal, none. The change of the wet food came about four days ago, but the exclusion of chicken only happened today.

I'm wondering if it could be the chicken ? I can't see how, but the very limited data so far does point at that.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Founding Member

High protein diets seem to be correlated to rebound . My theory is the slow digestion of it allows little blood sugar to work with the strength of injected insulin . If insulin isn't fed the body may do it dumping sugar into the system and overwhelm injected insulin . In a non diabetic dog insulin and blood sugar work together in a balanced system . Injected insulin is time released and far different than the natural system . Now if you can duplicate what you did for that meal and repeat it for a week and test to see how it goes . You might have got lucky . I did on many occasions solving my Jesse's regulation difficulties .Don't worry if you get some off days . If you can get 2 decent curves you might be on the right track
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 12-04-2021, 10:19 AM

I'm not sure what's going on to be honest. I read up on rebound and the Dawn effect and as you pointed out, it looks very much like rebound so far. The advice I read was to reduce the insulin by 25%, so this morning, (5.30am!) I gave him just 5 units with his breakfast. His glucose was climbing from about 1am to over 500 just after his breakfast but I can't work out why.

After the good curve from the 3rd I posted yesterday, things went haywire just after... You can see that on the 3rd about 1:08pm he dipped below 100, which I'm guessing triggered a rebound ? That peaked about 6pm and would have come down as a result of the insulin he had with his dinner around then I guess.

Today, I have been very careful to not let him dip below 100, erring on the side of caution, and gave him a small snack about 12:30 as his curve looked like it might hit close to 100 without it. However, despite him not going below 100 from his evening meal yesterday onwards, his glucose climbed steadily through the night again....

We're also back to him demanding food 11hrs after his previous meal, so each mealtime is getting 1hr earlier !

One last thing - how much and how fast does food have an effect on glucose ? I'm struggling to believe that the tiny snack he had at 12:30 would be responsible for the massive spike that started a couple of hours later.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks to you for helping.... I'd be lost without you !

Last edited by Aneng; 12-04-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:45 PM

you.ll get higher and lower number readings with the sensor. its good to recheck any numbers in question with a back up handheld glucose meter.

yes adding in chicken to his food as you.ve found out raises blood sugar.

food starts to effect blood sugar about half hour after feeding. so too much food or protein will raise bg.

try sticking to one food for 7 days . he,s been on the new food for 4 days so wait 6 days cause yoy just took out the chicken.

hope this food works better with the insulin.

your doing a great job with him. he knows cause hes not barking for food alot which means hes feeling better. when he.s regulated he,ll stop barking.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:43 PM

It's 00:38 am here now and his glucose has started rising again from the low of 144 to 221 in the past hour. I'm determined to stop his glucose shooting up past 500 in the next few hours like it's been doing for weeks. I'm seriously thinking of giving him a shot of 1 unit of insulin (without food). Is that dangerous?
Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 PM

I decided to give him half of his breakfast with half of his insulin for that meal. It's about 4h early compared to recent breakfasts so I pray I've done the right thing.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:37 PM

why would you change things

why feed half of his breakfast?

why feeding 4 hours early?

is he sick?

no dont give extra insulin without a 7 day curve
Old 12-04-2021, 06:52 PM

Because every night his glucose has gone over 500 and I'm getting worried that it's causing him damage. I saw his curve starting to climb rapidly again for no obvious reason and thought "it's going to hit over 500 again". I wanted to get it down and didn't want to risk giving him insulin without food so I opted for half-food, half-insulin, albeit four hours early. His diabetes is clearly not under control and I'm just trying to do what I can.