• Australian Cattle Dog
    • February 2013
    • Currently 33lbs / Normally 38lbs
    • August 29, 2022 diagnosed with Diabetes
    • Vetsulin 9 Units
    • Pure Balance Healthy Weight Canned / Holistic Dry
    • Alphatrak / Prodigy home testing
    • Cushings

Hearing my dog had diabetes was a shocker for sure. Blue healers are indestructible machines that are all muscle and no fat. They use their extreme bite force to boss around 2,000 pound animals without any fear. She eats a healthy diet, always has since she was first a puppy. So how can a dog like that be diagnosed with this type of illness? It just didn't make any sense to me. Worse still, she was thought to also have Cushings and now had to endure a plethora of vet visits and go through LDDS testing.
    The reality of her condition worsened when she started to become lethargic and stopped eating. Dealing with a vet that seemed to not be following normal guidelines was equally challenging and frustrating for me. Luckily we were able to power through and like a typical healer, we bounced back. She's on insulin and cushings meds now, finding our footing through testing and routines. She hasn't stabilized yet but it's looking better and better all the time.
    I have faith that she will do what she does best, muscle through any obstacle and fight for her life like only a true healer can. Though my emotions and difficulties will falter as we continue our journey, I know she will always be by my side and give me the support I need to keep going as well. I brought her into my life as a puppy because I needed a friend by my side and the healer personality closely matched mine, strong and unwavering. We've been together almost every day since and I know that she has been every bit the friend I wanted her to be.
    I hope others who might read this, will also take some of my girls strength, as I have, because she has plenty to offer and this disease requires so much strength to not give up. We won't be throwing in the towel and we hope none of you do either.
    Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Re: A Blue Healers Journey

In a odd way my Jesse got diabeties to help me and change my life to a more healthier lifestyle which may have saved my life or at least extend it with better quality . She never complained with all the testing and injections .

It's a journey you do together and creates a very close bond
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great post and thanks for sharing Bear’s story! The two of you are so lucky to have each other, for sure. You’re doing such a fine job of advocating for her, and it’s clear that she’s returning the gift, as well.

Stay strong and healthy, Bear! You kinda belong to each of us a little bit now, too ;-))))

Comment

Thank you so much for your story. When you get this crushing news you don’t know where to turn for advice. It is good to hear that others are in the same boat as you.

Comment

It's amazing how quickly her nightly bathroom needs and the amount of water she would consume backed off as soon as we started the cushings medication. It's just too bad that it is a short acting drug and will need to continue for the rest of her expected long life. She's now a very expensive dog. But some people pay much more seeking happiness and never find it but we have our happiness right here with each other.
          Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

Amen to that .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
            X