Minor.. just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor.. just diagnosed

Thank you so much for accepting me on your site. This is all very scary! My 11 year old border terrier Minor was diagnosed with diabetes on Thursday, (Christmas Eve). Because of the Christmas holiday my vet booked him in on Tuesday to start insulin. However, he began to go downhill and by Friday night (Christmas Day) was very lethargic and vomited twice. We took him to the emergency vet who said his blood glucose was off their scale and he had keytones (spelling?) in his urine. They put him on a drip through the night and gave him potassium. Apparently he was sick a couple more times. On Saturday they started him on insulin and yesterday afternoon, (Sunday) said he was well enough to come home. He was VERY pleased to see us! The vet explained that his blood sugar was still high (16) and there were still some keytones but he was happy and perky and well enough to come home. I was given a bottle of caninsulin and 5 syringes and off we went!
    Last night went fine, he ate his food and I gave him 3.5ml of insulin as instructed, (closely supervised by my 2 sons!) This morning I'm on my own and things aren't so good. First of all he wouldn't eat his breakfast and so I couldn't give him his insulin. I took him for a short walk but he still wouldn't eat it. The emergency vet, (my vet is still on holiday), suggested heating it and trying again. Success! So, I was able to give him his insulin. However, when I took the needle out, some of the insulin squirted on his coat, so now I'm worried I haven't given him enough and have no way of knowing. The vet, (who is SO patient with me) says not to give him any more and just keep an eye on him. I have no way of testing his levels so don't know what's going on. I'll probably go back tonight and inject him under their supervision. Minor seems very lethargic again and is sleeping. I feel quite emotional and pretty useless. I think you are all asleep at the moment. Hope I may hear something when it's your morning. Thank you for reading this.
    Last edited by Ginger Yoshi; 12-28-2009, 04:41 AM.

Re: Minor.. just diagnosed

Hallo there,

Welcome to you and Minor, I am sorry you are having a rough time of it.

We have something in common, my Schnauzer Lucy was diagnosed two years ago on the 23rd of Dec. I live in Scotland.

I am glad you are going back into your vets, and that was the correct thing to do if you injected and did not know how much had been given.

I would advise you to get Keto-Distix as soon as possible as you can check for Glucose and Ketones which is very important.

Ketones are dangerous and this would give you some peace of mind.

You collect a urine sample from Minor not the first Pee in the morning the second one. Then a couple of random ones during the day.

The strips are very easy too read, you just dip it in the urine. Count 15 seconds then read the first colour which is Ketones a pale biege colour and another 15 seconds and read the glucose which is pale green.

Look for the changes in Colour at each 15 seconds.
    Then look directly above the colour and it tells you the reading.

I do not want to tell you too many things as it will only confuse you.

Use an old plastic cup or beaker to collect the urine.

I hope this helps some.

You will get plenty of support here they are a great bunch of caring people.
    If you are not sure about anything post your question and there is always someone who will get back to you.

Hope things go well at the vets.

Hugs
    Last edited by Margaret Boyle; 12-28-2009, 05:45 AM. Reason: mistake
    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Thanks so much Margaret. We've had a very quiet day. Minor has just slept. Not very interested in his ball or anything really. I'm concerned that he may have more keytones so think I'll contact the vet again. Will try and get some of the testing strips.Thanks again for your concern. Hope that one day I'll be able to reassure someone and help them as you have done for me today.

Comment

Hi!

I copied Minor's thread over at the diabetes discussion as that is where most people look for new posts on the forum and where the most active discussion takes place. I am leaving this here but wanted to point you to the discussion there.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1539

Welcome!

You've certainly gotten started with your toes to the fire! But you're already making progress.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
        X