Lost control of glucose level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bruno is on three a day now

We just had a curve done at the vet. I use an ultra one touch mini. The vet did use my meter along with each reading with the office equipment. The number range difference was as much as 50 higher (with the Ultra) when the numbers were high to being almost right or the same when the number were low, so maybe the meter reading is a percentage off, not necessarily always (50) or a specific number off??
    I freaked out the other day when I took Gomey's blood and there was no number, just the word "HIGH" on the ultra.
    The vet was very happy with Gomey's curve and even though we had fasting numbers over 400 she said she was happy to have her mostly between 134 and 250. We are still at 7 units of Novilin N 2x per day.
    The cost of the curve was $213 total and that included a manicure and some trimming of her "paint brush" style hairy feet!
    Going in for these visits keeps us both in the loop and the vet is more likely to be in contact via text and willing to write scripts without a visit which is nice once you start to get a handle on what is happening. The vet will also accept a brought in sample (IE:urine) without having a vet visit, just the lab cost.
    hopefully everyone is maintaining a good relationship with their office!? I am thankful that Gomey's vet understands that this is costly and frustrating process that we sometimes just need a sounding board! This forum has been so helpful as well! Thank you, keep sharing!
    Nikki www.Mohonk.com

Comment

great news on the vet visit 50 points difference at a higher range is practically the same number . especially if your comparing with another handheld and most importantly they were practically the same at the lower level . so it sounds like your good to go . curve was good

the money seems to be well spent for piece of mind and keeping a good relationship with your vet
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I continued 14 Units three times a day then tried a curve yesterday, June 29:
        5AM...354
        7:30 AM...71 !!! Ran another sample to confirm...76
        At this point, I freaked out. Was frosting a cake for a funeral and gave Bruno about a tsp of frosting then a biscuit.

9AM ...81 gave him another biscuit
        11AM 161
        1:15PM...229 Since it was on its way up, I gave him his second 14 Units of insulin after lunch.

3:15PM...157
        5PM...51 !!!Panic, ran it again...57 More frosting, more biscuits.
        At this point, he did not look distressed or too lethargic.
        Gave him dinner at 6 with no more insulin that day

This morning at 5AM...423 gave 14 units of insulin after breakfast
        7 AM...349
        9AM...258 at the vet's office. He got 320.

He was puzzled by the low numbers and suggested staying on 14 U three times a day monitoring.

Any ideas of what can cause numbers so low?

Comment

Originally posted by Mom of Bruno View Post
          I continued 14 Units three times a day then tried a curve yesterday, June 29:
          5AM...354
          7:30 AM...71 !!! Ran another sample to confirm...76
          At this point, I freaked out. Was frosting a cake for a funeral and gave Bruno about a tsp of frosting then a biscuit.

9AM ...81 gave him another biscuit
          11AM 161
          1:15PM...229 Since it was on its way up, I gave him his second 14 Units of insulin after lunch.

3:15PM...157
          5PM...51 !!!Panic, ran it again...57 More frosting, more biscuits.
          At this point, he did not look distressed or too lethargic.
          Gave him dinner at 6 with no more insulin that day

This morning at 5AM...423 gave 14 units of insulin after breakfast
          7 AM...349
          9AM...258 at the vet's office. He got 320.

He was puzzled by the low numbers and suggested staying on 14 U three times a day monitoring.

Any ideas of what can cause numbers so low?
          Now that he's been on 3 injections per day for a while, maybe you're starting to see insulin overlap with the insulin lasting longer than 8 hours, causing him to go low during the overlap periods.

Do what your vet says and watch him closely.
          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
          Diabetes: Aug 2013
          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

i am not sure i would give 14 units

as mike sugested you could be seeing overlap or your just giving to much insulin as i suspect
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I think I would reduce that dose. The dangers of diabetes lie in low blood sugar - it appears that he is processing insulin differently now.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I also agree with jesse girl and Amy. To be safe, it would be best to reduce insulin.
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I don't know what insulin you are using, but my observation is, why does blood sugar plunge so much right after eating. So is there fast acting insulin in the dose? usually there is a slight rise in sugar after eating while the insulin starts ramping up.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
                    I don't know what insulin you are using, but my observation is, why does blood sugar plunge so much right after eating. So is there fast acting insulin in the dose? usually there is a slight rise in sugar after eating while the insulin starts ramping up.
                    i had the same problem with jesse on nph she went from 500 down to 70 in a few hours . no fast acting . for jesse basically the dose was to much even though it was a normal starting dose

its not uncommon to see this in dogs .another peculiarity over there human counterpart . i dont think dogs in general have that inrush of sugar from digested food as humans and the reason they dont need a faster acting insulin but thats just speculation on my part

Comment

I have been monitoring Bruno on 14 units three times a day. My main problem seems to be that it goes too high over night. His first number before breakfast is always too high. Is there any reason? is this common? It is always lowest after lunch. I suggested doing 14 units after breakfast (5AM), 13 units after lunch (1PM) and 15 units after dinner (9PM)

Comment

Is he still having really low numbers a couple hours after eating? If so, maybe he is plunging around midnight and then rebounding high.

If his daytime numbers after eating are more normal or typical, then he's probably not plunging at night and just may need an extra unit at 9 pm.
                        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Is he still having really low numbers a couple hours after eating? If so, maybe he is plunging around midnight and then rebounding high.]
                          This is what the vet thought and recommended that I check around midnight.
                          Saturday after the vet visit, at 9 PM, before his last meal/injection, it was 315. (I suspect it was so high because B was very stressed at the vet office.)
                          At 11:30 PM that night it was 424.
                          5 AM Sunday morning: 427
                          1 PM Sunday: 217
                          9 PM Sunday: 359
                          5 AM Monday: 390
                          9 AM Monday (today) : 71

This is very frustrating. Just when I think everything is under control, I get the wide swings. I have been trying to keep his food and activity as constant as possible: 30 min walk around 7 AM, Swim around late morning or early afternoon. He needs and wants this exercise to control arthritis, but weather conditions often change exercise times.
                          Whether his glucose level is high or low, he looks well and happy even when it is very low. Relatives and neighbors say he looks so much better.
                          I know patience is required and keeping him on a constant regimen is the way.
                          I appreciate your support so much!

Comment

some dogs need a carby treat before or after exercise since the exercise can result in lower blood sugar. have you experimented with that?
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

the walk at 7 am may be a reason for the big drop and 71 at 9 am . either way you do want to rule that out as a problem . exercise can have a dramatic affect on blood sugar so testing before and after to see and maybe comparing a day without may help to figure

i call these events artificial action on insulin through higher metabolism causing insulin to work faster and the response can be quite different with a dog at rest

if the drop is caused by exercise you may have to find a time where insulin is less active or as judi suggested a carby treat and or some liquid sugar before you go may help keep sugar stable if exercise is a problem . for my jesse it was but we figured it out in terms of what works for her

Comment

Lost control of glucose level

I have had Bruno (11-year-old Lab) under control for over a year with three insulin injections of 16 units a day. He was blinded by cataracts and had cataract surgery last month. He was then able to see, but had the unfortunate side effect of pressure build-up in both eyes, left eye higher. He lost vision, and had glaucoma surgery and is now taking glaucoma eye drops and steroid drops. He has regained vision in the right eye, and I'm continuing drops several times a day to keep pressure down. Tramadol tablets as needed for pain.
                                Ever since the cataract surgery, I have not been able to control his blood glucose level. My vet said steroids can cause a rise in glucose level. The ophthalmology vet says he needs the eye drops to control inflammation. I know he's under stress with all this, and have gradually increased his insulin(NovalinN) level up to 20 units, but his glucose numbers will not go lower than the 300's.
                                Any ideas?
                                I was registered here when Bruno first got diabetes but forgot my password and had to re-register.

Comment

Working...
                                X