Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog food reccomendations

Hello everyone,
    So about 9 months ago my 10 year old yellow lab was diagnosed.
    After a rough first couple months he is now thank goodness pretty well regulated and pushing through. However here is my problem now.
    He currently eats the prescription purina veterinary diets fuel fiber along with 27 units of novilin. It is a great food and Keeps his sugar from spiking. However, his vet bills are already pushing me to my limits and the food costs $100 a bag and only lasts 16 days.
    What other foods has everyone had luck with?
    From what I've read so far it needs to be high fiber high protein and low on carbs and fats.
    So what is available at the pet stores? Should I try grain free?
    Anything helps. I hate to switch his food but I just cannot afford it any longer

Re: Dog food reccomendations

Welcome.

I had fairly good results with Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight, and the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight. Not as high fiber as the prescription foods, but higher than regular kibble. I added a little Benefiber to bump up the fiber. Also, tried adding black beans for a while for the fiber and protein.

Unfortunately Annie stopped eating straight dry kibble and I have gone to a regular canned food, a little of Wilderness Healthy Weight and Benefiber mixed in. This is higher fat than I wanted, but I was tired of her refusing to eat her meals.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I used wellness core which worked well for sissy.It is grain free also.It is about 75.00 for 28 lbs...
      I no longer use it because of her other health issues..
      Not sure this helps,but fyi
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

My dog has been on W/D (both can and dry) since being diagnosed in October.

Comment

Originally posted by justabrat View Post
          My dog has been on W/D (both can and dry) since being diagnosed in October.
          Many vets "push" the prescription foods. Dogs do seem to do well on the w/d style foods, but some find it too expensive due to the higher price and the generally greater portion size required. Then, some pups just won't eat it, or stop eating it after a while.

Folks here feed all sorts of food. Over nearly nine years diabetic I've gone from prescription kibble, tried home cooking, a slightly higher fiber commercial (Blue Buffalo Healthy Weigh) and have recently gone to a more standard canned food (Wilderness Healthy Weight and Beyond brand). Before going to the standard canned food a few months ago (probably not the best choice) I was having a fight at every meal to get Annie to eat her full meal. I've decided that in Annie's case, 15+ years old, I'm going to feed what she will eat. Yes, for a younger dog with several years ahead, I'd try to feed the lower fat / higher fiber food if they would eat it.

Craig
          Last edited by CraigM; 12-22-2016, 05:46 PM.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
          X