Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Questions about Yuki

Low cortisol would make him feel pretty crappy and would explain not wanting to eat. Have they measured his cortisol production?

In his later years, Chris' appetite varied a lot from day to day and he also would quit eating something and we would have to switch to something else.

I just used a very general guide that was developed over time. As Jesse Girl said, our dog could get about half his normal dose of insulin if he ate nothing. So I would adjust his dose based on how much of his normal meal he ate or give half the dose if he skipped a meal.

In terms of changing foods, I kept the calories the same, which often meant quite different quantities of food. Some prepared foods have a lot more calories per cup than others. Keeping the calories the same helped keep the dose more or less the same.

Natalie
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Unhappy Yuki has crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge

My heart is crushed - Yukon formed a lump in the pallet of his mouth a couple months ago and it quickly grew. Tonight we made the decision to let him cross over to the Rainbow Bridge and feel no pain or suffering anymore.

I am sitting in my house looking at all the bowls, toys and items that have been collected for almost 16 years and it just breaks my heart. He was a one of a kind dog - the best dog I ever had.

Thank you all for taking the time to help with the Diabetes - I was able to help him in every ailment he had besides the cancer :-(
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 PM

Sorry for your loss. You did everything in your control and im sure Yukon knows it also.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Founding Member

You did a wonderful job managing this disease for Yukon . Its not an easy thing to do especially for an older dog to begin with . You gave your dog the chance to live a long happy dogs life even with a dangerous disease .

I enjoyed your posts and Yukons adventure though this challenge we call K9 diabetes and how you figured it out . Not an easy task .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 12-03-2020, 06:41 AM
Founding Member

I am so sorry for your loss. You did all within your power for the sweet guy. He will always be with you in your heart.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
Old 12-03-2020, 09:54 AM

run free Yuki roll in the snow and play
Old 12-05-2020, 10:04 AM
Founding Member

I'm so sorry. It's hard but they bring us so much joy RIP Yuki
Old 12-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Thanks to all of you. It has been so hard the last 5 days - the house is so empty and I am so used to our insulin routine and every other need I was more than welcome to do for my baby. I know he is in a better place pain free.

I made Yukon a promise that I would walk our golf cart ride of a mile around the island we live on every day until his 16th birthday January 9th, and maybe longer (we live in Michigan).

I miss my baby so much - there is such a hole in my heart :-(

Please take care of your babies - they are sooooo worth it!
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Last edited by YukiesMom; 12-07-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
Old 12-09-2020, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Yuki as crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Damn... such a sad time for so many. I hate cancer. Thatís what took our diabetic dog too. I am so sad to learn that Yuki has passed. He was beloved though and that meant so much to him. He was blessed to have you in his life.

Natalie
Old 12-09-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

So sorry. You did a wonderful and loving job taking care of your beautiful Yuki.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine