Newbie needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie needing help

Cushing's is a discussion I plan on having with the vet on Tuesday...
    Donna

Comment

I am going to talk to our vet on Tuesday as I think Cushings is a good possibility.
      Donna

Comment

Might want to talk to our sister site K9 cushings as they are very helpful with that matter.
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That low number was short lived... Yesterday and today he's all over the place never really going below 300 and in the upper 400's and 500 most of the time. I'm going to have a chat with the vet about testing for Cushing's tomorrow.

Donna

Comment

let us know what you find out. dealing with Cushings AND diabetes is no fun but it looks like you can handle it and at least you will know.

Judi
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you, I will!
              I called the vet at 8:00 this morning, was told by the office manager there that I've know for 40 years, I would get a call back from the vet and could I send yesterday's curve, which I did by 8:15, but I've heard crickets... They used to be open from 8-9, but now they are strictly 8-5, with NO exceptions...
              It's pretty sad they sold to corporate, as so many local vets did when they retired during the pandemic... I get it, but what the heck does that mean for our furry family members????

Donna

Comment

I have an appointment to have Max tested for Cushing's next Thursday. Will let you know the results.

Comment

Hello again,
                  I think I’m getting an idea of what’s happening, on 6 units, but not sure why…
                  This is Max’s curve from today:
                  5:00 – 409
                  5:15 – breakfast and insulin
                  6:00 – 439
                  7:00 – 316
                  8:00 – 283
                  9:00 – walk
                  10:00 – 182
                  12:00 – 197
                  1:00 – 184
                  2:00 – 185
                  3:00 – 248
                  4:00 – 343
                  5:00 – 372
                  5:15 – Dinner and insulin
                  5:30 – 413
                  6:00 - 433
                  My vet has pretty much told me he’s at his limit for a 29 pound dog, so I may have to fly under the radar on my own…
                  He’s also getting an LDDST test on Thursday to check for Cushing’s.
                  Thanks for any advice!
                  Donna and Max the Corgi being feed ¾ cup of Acana Heritage 2xs a day – 12 hours apart

Comment

So Max is at the vet for the day as they are doing a LDDST on him. His numbers seem to be better on his 6 units of Vetsulin as they are averaging in the 200s rather than the 400s. I know, higher than they should be, but still and improvement… That’s good because he gets so stressed out while there.
                    He’s also lost 2 pounds as of this morning; going from 29 to 27, but that could be due to the lack of snacks during the day… No dog I’ve ever had can beg better than a Corgi! Their eyes bore right thru you! Unlike my Shepherd’s - they just drool…
                    I’ll get the results tomorrow most likely and I’ll post them here.
                    Donna

Comment

Negative for Cushing's. He's insulin resistant. We're going up to 7 units tomorrow...

Comment

After 40 years of marriage, I'm done... He's of zero help and blames me for everything... Its sad...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your pup's struggles. First off, while not ideal, those numbers don't seem terrible if you're early in the process. For comparison, with my Bella we could not get her under 500 at all for months, due to insulin resistance (cushings, etc. ruled out).

So we kept upping it until she started to respond, which on started at 16 units 2x day. Now she's up to 18 and pretty consistently at 185-300, but it took months to get there. Along the way we also discovered that even a small calorie difference in food could make a 100 point swing in the blood glucose, so that seems critical too. She's about 37 lbs.
                          Last edited by Bellandanny; 09-22-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

So while I had my total meltdown and sat on the floor crying for most of the night, we had a breakthrough the next day! And yes, I’m thanking God for answering my prayers! He went somewhat normal… His BGs are now low rather than high. On the 20th, he went down to 157 after a walk and we thought we hit our magic number at 6.5 units. He stayed low (177-234) most of the day. Then on the 21st, he stayed low again (between 74-198) throughout the day. Today, a few hours before dinner, he was just 106 and I almost was afraid to inject him, so I opted for just giving him 6 units… This certainly is a roller coaster from hell!
                            I work from home, so am able to watch him like a hawk and haven’t seen any signs of a low glucose event.
                            I broke down and bought the extremely expensive Ketona food, from Amazon the other day, which I received today, but just threw a few pieces of the kibble into his Acana food tonight as I’m not sure where we will be going? I also added some boneless, skinned cooked chicken breast to the mixture tonight along with the zucchini in preparation for his transition from red meat to chicken based Ketona kibble.
                            One thing I’m very grateful for is that this Corgi has a cast iron stomach! My last one had IBD and all of my Shepherds have had issues ranging from IBD to EPI to Cushings…

Donna

Comment

Also Donna, if you have success with the Ketona, after buying from Amazon I realized it's quite a bit cheaper to buy direct, and they even send you free treats and stuff sometimes.

Comment

Thanks for the info! It's definitely cheaper by the larger size from their website! Amazon only carries the 4.6 pound bag for a nearly $40, which will not last me very long...
                                Donna

Comment

Working...
                                X