Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed Pup- need advice!

Hello all!!
    My dog, Brian was just diagnosed with diabetes last weekend and I’m so unbelievably overwhelmed and scared. He’s my soul dog and I want to make sure I do everything I can to get him as healthy as possible. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis as well and was in ketoacidosis. He was hospitalized for a night and seemed to be feeling better when he got home. He’s 21 lbs, and I was told to start with 3 units of insulin. He wasn’t eating much at first, and his glucose got a little low, so i decreased to 2 units. At 2 units, his blood sugar rapidly dropped from 350 to 50 and I gave him some syrup and brought him to the ER. They told me to decrease further down to 1 unit. He did pretty well on that for the first few days. 200/300s. But the numbers started going up since his appetite is back. I increased to 2 units a few days ago, and he still stayed in the upper 300s/400s for most of the day. His lows were 350 one day and 230 the next for very short periods of time. So I went up to 3 units last night, like the vet originally suggested, and his numbers have been in the 400s majority of the day. It got down to 310 for a brief period of time overnight and went back up to 400s. I called my vet and she said she’d like for him to stay on 2 units for the rest of the week. Does that sound like a good plan? I’m confused why he would decrease when his numbers have been so high, but maybe I’m missing something. I called the ER that I brought him into last weekend for a 2nd opinion and they recommended upping to 4 units. I’m not sure who to listen to. I’m so scared of him going back into ketoacidosis or going blind overnight. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
    One last thing- One of his eyes has been bloodshot for months, and his muzzle is red and itchy. Does anyone know if these might be related to diabetes? He’s had those issues for months but vets thought it was just allergies. He was prescribed prednisone which seemed to have exasperated his diabetes. He was in the hospital shortly after taking the steroids. Curious if it might be related.
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Newly Diagnosed Pup- need advice!

Hi and welcome,
    I haven't had a diabetic dog in over a dozen years, but think you should follow your vet's advice. When there are frequent changes to the insulin dosages, the body doesn't have time to adjust. Stick with a dose for at least a week and see what happens.

What insulin are you using? Are you doing two sets a day?

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Ah ok, that makes sense. I’ve had a few bad experiences with vets in the past, so I have a hard time trusting. Always like to do my own research too! But I got a glimpse of how scary low blood sugar can be, so probably is best to stick to 2 and increase slowly if needed. Thanks for your time!

Comment

Oh and I’m giving him Humlin N, twice daily!

Comment

hi and welcome

test at fasting then test again after eating. wait till his blood sugar is over 200 before injecting just a tip to be safe.

yes prednisone is related to diabetes. my dog had surgery in 2010 given this steroid then diagnosed 2012 diabetes.

did he have blood work done for an eye infection. if he does infections play havic on blood sugar. until its resolved his bg will run high.

my dog was 22 lbs got 5 1/2 units nph twice a day.

the other thing is he still might be producing his own insulin called Honeymooning. taking weekly curves will give you more info.
          Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 08-17-2021, 10:09 AM.
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

my jesse also was dka and had pancreatitis . her muzzle also became reddish and had nothing to do with allergies i believe and was more to do with the chaos gong on in her body . it eventually cleared up

i did not see your dogs weight in your thread . thats how you determine a starting dose . if you can let us know that would be helpful

i would tend to go with the 2 units for the week unless you see substantial diabetic symptoms like thirst and urination as numbers you posted were reasonable at that dose . sometimes higher doses can drive the numbers higher

your dog is going through allot . pancreatitis doesn't go away the next day and could be still around for weeks healing which will affect blood sugar

it took my jesse 6 months where i felt she was on a good path and a year till i felt we were good for the long haul and she lived with the disease 11 years .
            your off to a good start taking control and testing sugar at home . its just going to take time for the body to adapt to the new reality of injected insulin so staying calm and patient is key
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
            X